RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:42:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | BCS Series / college football bowl talk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: BCS Series / college football bowl talk  (Read 15021 times)
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2006, 10:20:12 PM »

Anytime polls are decided by peoples opinions they are going to be bias. It wouldnt matter if Boise state could beat all the top ten teams but double digit scores the voters will still favor there favorite and home teams. Greatest example is Notre Dame they get ranked in the top ten year in and year out. I cant remember the last time they beat a top program and have lost 8 straight bowl games  soon to be 9 once LSU blows them out. tHE YEAR oKlahoma played Miami they didnt deserve the chance. With a playoff the regular season would mean even more and the teams would play harder because 8 or 16 teams would have a chance to win the championship. The way it is now once you lose your out the rest of the season doesnt mean squat. And like I said earlier there are to many conferences that after the top 2 or 3 teams rest of the teams suck. Im not knocking teams but name one quailty win Wiscosin had this year. Did they win one game against a top 25 team. This thread is a good reason we need a playoff.

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »

Plus after bowl season ends it will be a good indicator of who was and wasnt deserving of the ranking.

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 09:07:52 AM »

With a playoff the regular season would mean even more and the teams would play harder because 8 or 16 teams would have a chance to win the championship.

you end up with teams that phone it in, once they are assured of a spot

The way it is now once you lose your out the rest of the season doesnt mean squat.

essentially, the regular season IS the playoff, those games played in august and september mean just as much as the ones in november and december, a playoff means only the games in december and januarary reallycount

And like I said earlier there are to many conferences that after the top 2 or 3 teams rest of the teams suck. Im not knocking teams but name one quailty win Wiscosin had this year. Did they win one game against a top 25 team. This thread is a good reason we need a playoff.

Wisconsin had their chance against Michigan and lost, had they won that game, they wouldve been in a BCS game, and perhaps they wouldve had a shot at the buckeyes instead of florida.  The regular season IS the playoff, there is no need to water down regular season games into exhibitions
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 02:13:29 PM »

I
As for Michigan "having their chance", and it not being fair to OSU..... It happens in the NFL all the time! teams beat other teams during the regular season, and then lose to them in the play-offs.

So yes, I do think it would be fair if Michigan played and beat OSU.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. The NFL has a playoff, the NCAA does not. All the NFL teams play a 16 game season, NCAA teams play 11, 12, or 13 game seasons before their bowl game (no consistency). The NFL structures their playoffs by conference, and if you win your conference you go to the championship game; the NCAA has no such criteria. In the NFL, the teams with the best records in their conferences are not guarenteed to go to the Super Bowl to play each other, they have to earn it against the other playoff teams. And how ridiculous would it be if the NFL had a poll to decide who goes to the super bowl!

The only instance where your argument holds water is if the winner in one NFL CONFERENCE played the winner of the other CONFERENCE in the NFL regular season and they end up meeting in the Super Bowl to determine the champion. 

Imo, as long as there are polls the system is going to be flawed. NCAA basketball has it right with sending out bids for the NCAA tournament.

All that needs to happen with NCAA football is for a committee to meet at the end of the season to determine who should be ranked 1-4. 1 plays 4. 2 plays 3. The winners play in a championship game. If they want to use the current polling BCS system calculations they can. 1v4 and 2v3 would still play in the respective BCS bowl games as well, so there'd be no disruption to the revenue machine.

The championship game could happen 2 weeks after these bowl games (like the NFL does with the Super bowl after the conference championships) to allow the student athletes to go back to school a bit, and still have time to prepare for the final game and allow for the appropriate allotment of tickets to be sold to those wanting to attend the game from the repective schools.

The other thing is that the BCS championship game should be promoted throughout the year in the same manner as the super bowl. That way, if you can get at-large tickets to attend the game, a college football fan can plan accordingly. The final game could even be held the Saturday before the NFL conference chapionship games to boost the ratings. People can plan parties around it, yadda yadda...

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 02:30:59 PM »

a four team playoff would not eliminate controversy, it only shifts it from the process of deciding the top 2 teams, to the process of deciding the top 4 teams.  if there was a 4 team playoff this year, you would have three teams deserving of 2 spots (Michigan, Louisville, and Boise State), and every year, you have a different number of teams on that top teir. 
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 02:46:40 PM »

a four team playoff would not eliminate controversy, it only shifts it from the process of deciding the top 2 teams, to the process of deciding the top 4 teams.  if there was a 4 team playoff this year, you would have three teams deserving of 2 spots (Michigan, Louisville, and Boise State), and every year, you have a different number of teams on that top teir. 

Actually, no matter what a playoff will only decide the first place team.  The second place team could be any team played by the first place team throughout the playoff.  As in the second best team can be eliminated in the first round by the best team.   A playoff actually introduces controversy.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 03:08:10 PM »

totally
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 03:38:21 PM »

*Gives up on this topic*  Sad

Come on Rose Bowl!

Maze and Blue all the way.

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2006, 03:40:44 PM »

totally, it would be cool to see the big ten finish 1-2-3
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2006, 03:47:43 PM »

There is no solution.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 04:25:56 PM »

totally, it would be cool to see the big ten finish 1-2-3

3? 

I thought Wisconsin didn't get in.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2006, 04:43:09 PM »

but they are facing auburn in the outback bowl.  if they have an impressive showing, they could easily be voted nubmer 3
Seamar
RFG Football Ass Kicker
Jaguar CD
United States
Awards: General Ass Kicker

Stats
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2007, 12:08:10 AM »

Michigan is going to hand USC it's ass. And then everybody will know they were wrong abouyt the bowl set up.

Plain and simple.

Interesting. So it turns out that Michigan sucks and the "overrated" USC team was victorious. Guess it wasn't as Plain and simple as you thought.
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2007, 12:15:17 AM »

Who cares?!  Penn State whooped on Tennessee!  Let's go P-S-U!

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2007, 03:37:09 AM »

Michigan is going to hand USC it's ass. And then everybody will know they were wrong abouyt the bowl set up.

Plain and simple.

Interesting. So it turns out that Michigan sucks and the "overrated" USC team was victorious. Guess it wasn't as Plain and simple as you thought.

If my team could not be #1, then I really did not care. Oh and lets see USC come to the big house and do that. USC had a nice home game there at the Rose Bowl...... Must be nice Roll Eyes

Wisconsin beat a "good" team from the "mighty" SEC  Roll Eyes
My team is done, so I really dont care what happens from this point on.

(yes, I am taking my ball and going home Tongue)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length