RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:39:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | BCS Series / college football bowl talk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: BCS Series / college football bowl talk  (Read 15009 times)
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: December 04, 2006, 07:24:20 AM »

Lets just get this out of the way right now!

BCS does not stand for Bowl Championship Series....... It stands for Bowl crap series.

Michigan got hosed! Florida's loss was to a lesser team, and how exactly do you jump a team ahead of you when they are idle? I'll tell you how.... People did't want to see a rematch.

The top 2 teams in the land will not be playing for the title, and when OSU blows out Florida, and Michigan destroys USC I will be ready with the  "I told you so".

Urban Meyer can officially go die in a chemical fire for his openly campaining. While I don't think his statements about the big 10 and Michigan swayed the voting, I also don't think the guy showed any class Roll Eyes

So I hope everybody enjoys watching the Bowl Crap Series this holiday season.

I know I wont!

Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:48:03 AM »

Urban Meyer can officially go die in a chemical fire for his openly campaining. While I don't think his statements about the big 10 and Michigan swayed the voting, I also don't think the guy showed any class Roll Eyes

That was a very unclassy move for him.

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:22:19 AM »

What happened?

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 09:13:54 AM »

Eh, pro all the way.

When shall his new form be revealed?
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 09:52:17 AM »

whats better, pollsters deciding who plays for a title, or pollsters determining who wins a title. 

what i dont like about playoffs are the number of second chances it gives to teams that lose in the regular season.  the BCS can be tweaked a little more by making the championship game an extra game played by the top two teams after the original bowls are complete.  have michigan and florida play in the rose bowl, then the winner takes on ohio state.  the next week
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:17:33 AM »

Here is my solution.  Give OSU the title, #1, but no bowl game for them.  Then have Michigan play Florida for the #2 and #3 spots. 

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 10:48:50 AM »

Here is my solution.  Give OSU the title, #1, but no bowl game for them.  Then have Michigan play Florida for the #2 and #3 spots. 

No!

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 11:57:45 AM »

I love how every year BCS makes an ass out of itself.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 02:41:32 PM »

No!

So you're saying that the only team that should get the opportunity to play OSU is U of M? But then if U of M wins, shouldn't OSU get a chance to play them again since they've split the series? Then and only then with a best of 3 would you have no controversy. Florida vs. U of M would definitely settle who is #2 since it's obvious that OSU is #1.

U of M had their chance. Why should they get a "free pass" to lose a game vs OSU and then be given a 2nd shot, and this one for a title! That would be saying that the 1st matchup and the Big Ten title meant nothing!

Florida is the political machine's logical choice to go to the championship game because USC boned themselves vs. UCLA and Florida took care of business in the SEC championship game vs. Arkansas. I don't know anything about the Urban Meier campaining thing, but frankly I don't care.

Another part of this equation is that the ratings for a U-M vs OSU rematch in the Championship game would be the worst ever! The Midwest would watch, but the rest of the country could care less because they already saw that game play out as a #1 vs. #2. I ask you this, if U of M had beaten OSU and OSU was #2, would you be defending OSU as strongly over Florida?...didn't think so. 

Yet another argument (and the most legitimate one thus far) is that Florida won its conference (the SEC) and it had the toughest schedule in the country. So, even with 1 loss, it deserves a shot since Michigan had theirs. That's where the human element of the BCS voting machine comes into play. The computers actually had U-M and Florida tied at .940. The people wanted a different matchup.

I'm not saying that the BCS "got it right". The system is obviously still flawed. Just look at what happened to Auburn a couple of years ago! But until we get a 4 team playoff, we're going to have to keep seeing the BCS wet the bed every year.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 02:55:02 PM by phoenix1967 » Logged

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 04:06:20 PM »

if there was a four team playoff, who wouldve been screwed this year?  Louisville or Boise State? 

if there was a four team playoff last season, would USC or Texas have played their classic?

frankly, this isnt the screwjob that auburn had, as they were undefeated.  if you lose a game in a major confrence, youve become open to the crapshoot that is the poll. 
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 06:19:54 PM »

I can almost bet you it'd be Mich/Ohio State if Michigan had beaten OSU.  Florida wouldn't have passed OSU.

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 07:19:12 AM »

So you're saying that the only team that should get the opportunity to play OSU is U of M? But then if U of M wins, shouldn't OSU get a chance to play them again since they've split the series? Then and only then with a best of 3 would you have no controversy. Florida vs. U of M would definitely settle who is #2 since it's obvious that OSU is #1.

U of M had their chance. Why should they get a "free pass" to lose a game vs OSU and then be given a 2nd shot, and this one for a title! That would be saying that the 1st matchup and the Big Ten title meant nothing!

I was saying no becuase if you read Hydro's statement, he said to give the title to OSU no matter what, and hav Michigan play Florida for #2.

As for Michigan "having their chance", and it not being fair to OSU..... It happens in the NFL all the time! teams beat other teams during the regular season, and then lose to them in the play-offs.

So yes, I do think it would be fair if Michigan played and beat OSU.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 07:24:33 AM »

Another part of this equation is that the ratings for a U-M vs OSU rematch in the Championship game would be the worst ever! The Midwest would watch, but the rest of the country could care less because they already saw that game play out as a #1 vs. #2. I ask you this, if U of M had beaten OSU and OSU was #2, would you be defending OSU as strongly over Florida?...didn't think so.

Who cars what the ratings would be! Roll Eyes It would be the best 2 teams. And I am not saying that becuase I am a U of M fan.

And yes, if Mich beat OSU, and it was the other way around.... I would think OSU was getting screwed. But I would also be in the same boat as OSU is. OSU does not want to play Michigan again. And if the tables were turned, I wouldn't want to play OSU.

That being said, I would think OSU was getting screwed!

Florida is going to get murdered by OSU. Michigan is going to hand USC it's ass. And then everybody will know they were wrong abouyt the bowl set up.

Plain and simple.

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 07:47:40 AM »

who cares if it happens in the NFL, that is one of the reasons the league sucks.  the football is good, but everything else about the NFL is terrible.  Pittsburgh played lousy for 2/3 of their season, yet still won the super bowl.  their regular season a joke as a result (indy anyone?)
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 09:35:21 AM »

Isn't that why you play the game? Even the team with the best record can lose to the team with a bad record. That is part of the appeal? (at least I think so), because it would be boring if the best team always won.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length