RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Screenshot Identifying game! Know your games!? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 401 Print
Author Topic: Screenshot Identifying game! Know your games!?  (Read 924094 times)
Ack
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4260 on: November 15, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »

Well fellas, seeing as it has been 48 hours, should I go ahead and announce the answer so the game can move along?

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4261 on: November 15, 2014, 12:19:09 PM »

No, give more hints. That game looks familiar to me actually, it's mostly the dog on the right that makes me feel like I should know it.

I might even own this game....
Ack
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4262 on: November 15, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »

Hmm, well, OK.

This game is a first person shooter, featured slot machines, and involves a story of you saving the Earth from being incinerated in a giant furnace to make jelly.  Also, your dog is the smartest creature on Earth.

Ack
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4263 on: November 16, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »

Sorry guys, I'm breaking the trend.

[img width=512 height=384]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Txjum9C8fCk/Tz5TOljrHPI/AAAAAAAACA0/KsC30t9IQpM/s1600/lab3d.png[/img]

Ok, last time I guess.  If it's not solved by Monday morning, I'll give out the answer then.

Anyway, it's an FPS for DOS that is not based on the Wolf3D engine but came out several months after it, before Doom.  It has a relationship with Duke Nukem 3D but came way before it.  It was originally used as a test to show programming skills under a different name before being released under its official name.  It's name contains two words, one of which is the name of the programmer who designed it.

The plot involves aliens coming to Earth and abducting your dog to run a maze. However, since your dog is physically incapable of doing that act, the aliens abduct you.  You must find your dog and escape, otherwise the aliens will use Earth to fuel their jelly-making furnaces.  Jelly blobs appears in the game as your first weapon.

The game consists of three episodes for 30 levels, features vending machines and slot machines, and has maps that show the location of the player as well as enemies, items, doors, secrets, etc.  After the first episode is complete, your dog follows you for the rest of the game.

The game was released as freeware in 1999.  The source code was released in 2001.  An updated port for modern Windows and Linux operating systems was released in 2002.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4264 on: November 16, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »

Fine...I'll answer then. The game is Ken's Labyrinth, otherwise known as Lab3D in its re-release. The developer, Ken Silverman, later used the basis of this game to create the Build engine, which was the foundation for Duke Nukem 3D, as well as other titles like Blood, Shadow Warrior, TekWar and the Witchaven games.

Incidentally, it came in a shareware pack I had with Rise of the Triad when I first got my first computer.
I try to know my game engines, in the least... Wink

Ack
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4265 on: November 16, 2014, 04:19:44 PM »

Fine...I'll answer then. The game is Ken's Labyrinth, otherwise known as Lab3D in its re-release. The developer, Ken Silverman, later used the basis of this game to create the Build engine, which was the foundation for Duke Nukem 3D, as well as other titles like Blood, Shadow Warrior, TekWar and the Witchaven games.

Incidentally, it came in a shareware pack I had with Rise of the Triad when I first got my first computer.
I try to know my game engines, in the least... Wink

That's the one!  It was published by Epic MegaGames and also saw a shareware release with other games that they were publishing, such as Jill of the Jungle, Dare to Dream, Solar Winds, and many others.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4266 on: November 16, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »

[img width=494 height=324]http://home.comcast.net/~a_magical_me/newsite/chip/images/kayu.jpg[/img]

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #4267 on: November 16, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »

Chip's Challenge!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4268 on: November 16, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »

Yes indeed. One of the very first games I played on a PC on Windows 3.1.

mumboking
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #4269 on: November 16, 2014, 05:37:53 PM »

I've played it a bit. The tablet PCs at school had some games from the Microsoft Entertainment Packs on them. Smiley

[img width=320 height=239]http://i42.tinypic.com/1zf51y8.png[/img]
TheSaintOfPain
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #4270 on: November 16, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »

Micro Machines 64 Turbo.  The "Baguette Challenge" logo jumpstarted my memory for me, and I remembered a buddy back in late high school had this.

Just Take A Look Around And What Do You See?
Pain, Suffering, And Misery.
It's Not The Way The World Was Planned;
It's A Pity You Don't Understand.

--Black Sabbath, "Killing Yourself To Live"
mumboking
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #4271 on: November 16, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »

Micro Machines 64 Turbo.  The "Baguette Challenge" logo jumpstarted my memory for me, and I remembered a buddy back in late high school had this.
It's actually Micro Machines V3 for the PS1, but I'll accept that as it's a port.
TheSaintOfPain
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #4272 on: November 18, 2014, 02:09:38 AM »

It's actually Micro Machines V3 for the PS1, but I'll accept that as it's a port.
Oh, really?  I actually didn't know that there was one for the PS1.  Tongue  Are they essentially the same?

In any case, here's this:

[img width=640 height=360]http://collider.com/uploads/images/category/xbox_360_activision_gun_gameplay_1.jpg[/img]

Just Take A Look Around And What Do You See?
Pain, Suffering, And Misery.
It's Not The Way The World Was Planned;
It's A Pity You Don't Understand.

--Black Sabbath, "Killing Yourself To Live"
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4273 on: November 18, 2014, 09:00:59 AM »

Your picture is not showing up, but I copy the URL link and pasted it in another window to see it. My guess is "Gun."

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4274 on: November 18, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »

Yeah, it's Gun... fun game.

Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 401 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length