RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:07:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | A couple of Genesis questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A couple of Genesis questions  (Read 1660 times)
Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« on: January 25, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »

So, as some of you may know, Genesis is one of my target systems right now. However, in searching for games, I've noticed... oddities. I was wondering if these could be explained.

ODDITY 1: I've noticed that some cartridges are slightly thinner and longer than normal carts, and also have a yellow box (band?) in the top-left corner. What are these carts?

ODDITY 2: I used to think that all Genesis games came in hard plastic cases, but I've seen a lot of games in cardboard boxes. What's up with that?

Thanks to whoever can supply the infos.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:49:33 AM »

ODDITY 1: I've noticed that some cartridges are slightly thinner and longer than normal carts, and also have a yellow box (band?) in the top-left corner. What are these carts?

These are EA games. Don't know why they made their carts that way. Accolade/Ballistic also made bigger carts like EA but they did have the yellow band on them.

ODDITY 2: I used to think that all Genesis games came in hard plastic cases, but I've seen a lot of games in cardboard boxes. What's up with that?

Well the games by Sega in cardboard boxes are late releases or released games that they used cardboard to save money. The early EA games came in cardboard boxes as well. Accolade/Ballistic games also came in cardboard boxes.

Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:54:19 AM »

Alright, thanks! Now I won't be confused next time I see cardboard.

(post 100 ftw)
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 11:19:20 AM »

In the begining some of the card board boxes were nice and heavy, like Winter Challenge. Then at the end they got thin and cheap.

Slowly building an ammo fort.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 12:15:07 PM »

In the begining some of the card board boxes were nice and heavy, like Winter Challenge. Then at the end they got thin and cheap.

Winter Challenge is one of the Accolade/Ballistic type boxes. Those wear always good cardboard boxes.

Dev1anc3
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 07:43:20 PM »

From the way I understand it, Accolade/Ballistic/Tengen/EA got into a huge tussle with Sega over licensing issues, So they started making their own carts/packaging, and were NOT officially licensed by Sega, so Sega in turn made lock out chips, and had them manufactured on their newer model consoles, which is why some of these games won't play on a newer original model, model 2 or, model 3. EA was the only company to breakdown, and later settled on licensing agreement with Sega, but since they were already manufacturing their own cartridges/cases, just went ahead and kept doing so.

The cardboard cases were indeed a way to save money. Sega took a huge risk, and spent and lost alot of money investing in hardware (Sega CD, 32X, and the Saturn). Regretfully, it hurt the packaging, and the software they put out. Some games, like Castlevania: Bloodlines, came in both cardboard and hard plastic sleeves...   I've seen a list of these as well as all of the cardboard titles compiled somewhere, but can't recall where it was...  it may have been here, or on the DP forums.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:43:25 PM by DevIancE » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 09:33:55 PM »

I think we have a list of the cardboards ones here on the site.

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 08:51:50 AM »

Yup, it was started by Atari_Wizard, here's the link http://www.rfgeneration.c...um/index.php?topic=2609.0

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 12:47:22 PM »

Sweet, I should use that guide. Thanks.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length