RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:15:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | No One Will Ever Be Forgotten 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: No One Will Ever Be Forgotten  (Read 2133 times)
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: January 31, 2007, 11:25:56 PM »

It's hard to believe. One year has passed since RF Generation lost its webmaster and co-founder, Michael Collins. In that year, we've had the time to cope, adjust, and move on, but I am sure I am not alone when I say that I miss Mike. I grieved, like many people grieved, and it still sucks to this day that Mike is gone. Mike touched the lives of many, and the community lost someone special when he passed away. Without Mike there may very well never had been this website. This website, its content, values, and community, are a reflection of who Mike was. It's special knowing that fact.

You may have never known Mike, or perhaps you were one of his good friends. Regardless of who you are, we hope that you will never forget that Mike was not only one of the driving reasons behind this site, but also a friend to many and one of the nicest leaders you could ever meet. Mike had this crazy idea when he founded the site that "No one should be forgotten". Well, if that is such a crazy idea then mark me insane. No one here should ever be forgotten, especially someone as wonderful of a human being as Mike. We will never forget you Mike, and we hope that neither will you, the members of our wonderful little community on the internet.

Mike touched the lives of many. Knowing this and what a wonderful person Mike was today we launch our memorial of Mike. Mike may be gone, but he is certainly not forgotten. We hope that on this day you will take the time to read a bit about why Mike was such a wonderful person to many. Perhaps you would like to contribute to our memorial through your own memories or reflections, and if so we encourage it. We hope though that you will take the time though to at least get a glimpse of who Mike was and why he was a friend to many.

Today RF Generation pauses to remember a friend who has passed on. Mike, you are gone, but you certainly are not forgotten.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 11:37:16 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 01:20:29 AM »

I signed up several months after Mike's passing, so I never got the chance to know him. I have just read the memorial that TraderJake has set up, and I must say that it was very touching tribute. I wish that I would have known about this site early enough to get to know Mike because he sounds like a great individual. My thoughts are with everyone here who knows him and his friends and family. Thank you for setting up such an amazing site, Mike, and may you rest in peace.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 04:28:48 AM »

No one will ever be forgotten, and especially not Michael Collins.
For all of us who enjoy being a part of RF Generation we can all be grateful to him for the time he put into the site in it's beginnings. He created the foundation that was used and maintained so that we could all continue living his dream.

I am grateful to Michael for this, as well as all of the current staff that keep this site here for us all.
I also posted a message on the topic that is linked to, at the beginning of TraderJake touching message of remembrance.

Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 06:24:51 AM »

Having never met let alone spoke with Mr. Collins, I can only say I regret the chance is no longer possible.  When I first joined the site, it was not long after his death.  At the time, I only knew that someone from the site had died.  I figured I'd use the site for what I wanted, but little else as I had no reason to.  It wasn't until about 4-5 months ago when I began working on my collection and submitting new games to the database that I began to take a greater look around at the very site I had wrote off so quickly.  I found it run by people who would take your submisions use them, and credit you for your work.  I found people who I didn't always agree with, I found people I sometimes did, but in the end I found a comunity where rational thought still prevailed.  Slowly I decided to learn more about this Michael Collins.  What I found out was that he, he was a smart guy who looked to have a sense of humor, had a good heart, and was all around a good guy.  I never knew him, and yet due to him and the efforts of others I am here as a part of this comunity.  I wish I could thank him for that.  I didn't know him as many others on this site do, but I wont forget him. 

This site, it'll always be his baby and I'll be damned if I wont help it grow.  As just a member, staff, or else I WILL keep at it.  Thanks Mike, your site has given me a home.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 10:12:23 AM »

Wow, it's been a year?
It does make me sad that I had to have signed up after the tragic event had already occurred. After hearing everyone's stories about him I really wish I could have known him.

Echoing what Fuyukaze said: I will help this site increase, any way I can.
Tan
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 11:03:35 AM »

I was a member of another forum when I read about Michael's passing. Even then I could tell how special he was to his friends, family and the gaming community at large and how far-reaching his loss was felt.

His strength of character and personality has helped develope this community into a well-respected, strong group that is constantly growing and exceeding expectations. Observing this in action and reading these memorial posts really makes us members who had joined after he was gone regretful we didn't get the chance to get to know him as others do, he touched allot of lives and his work on this site continues to do so even to this day.

Thank you Michael for helping build this wonderful gaming community I'm proud to be a part of, the measure of immortality RFGeneration honors you with is well-deserved and gratefully given.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 12:00:18 PM »

A year...... Seems like forever since then. Sad

Meeting Mike through this site and chatting with him over messenger about things, I could tell how much he loved this site. Nobody will ever be forgotten! I remember when I was just a member, and contributing to the site, I thought about how cool this motto / way of doing things was. Eventually, I became friends with Mike through this very site, and was even invited to join the staff by Mike. When Mike passed away, I was sad to see such a bright light extinguished. A gleaming example of how things should be when it comes to the gaming community, Michael Collins is missed every day.....

As my signature says: "R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
You will not be forgotten. "

Here at RFGeneration, we will never forget! And we will continue to make sure that "No one should be forgotten".

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 12:51:41 PM »

Nep, you're still down in my sig somewhere. Just take it easy dude.

When shall his new form be revealed?
NESJunkie
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 06:05:32 PM »

It's odd that I've been thinking about RFGen for a week and then I come back today and it has just been over one year. Seems so long ago and yet not. The wound is still fresh in my mind even though I never met Mike in person. I haven't been around this site for quiet some time, but was here at the time of the move from VGB to here. I was invited with open arms by the new staff here and was personally sent an invite from Mike, so I did feel some connection to him.

May you rest in peace Mike. And may all your friends and family always remember the joy you had for the gaming community and for others that shared life experiences with you. Take care bud.

I was the 13th member to join this site. My parents were married on Friday the 13th. I was married on the 13th. Feeling lucky?

Here is a link to my profile on VAPS. I am mainly an arcade collector now. http://www.vaps.org/membe...tail.php?member_id=381193
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length