RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:18:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Arrests made in Half Life 2 code theft. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Arrests made in Half Life 2 code theft.  (Read 2894 times)
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« on: June 11, 2004, 03:24:09 PM »

http://www.gamemarketwatc...om/news/item.asp?nid=2921

Arrests Made in Half-Life Code Theft

The FBI has announced that arrests have been made in connection with last year's theft of source code for Valve's ‘Half-Life 2'.

Valve officials said the alleged hackers were tracked down within days of the announcement that the code theft would result in a delay of the game's release.

An FBI spokesman in Seattle declined to provide any details about the arrests, citing the ongoing investigations. Exactly when the arrests were made was not disclosed.

"It was extraordinary to watch how quickly and how cleverly gamers were able to unravel what are traditionally unsolvable problems for law enforcement related to this kind of cyber crime," Valve CEO Gabe Newell said in a statement.

Newell said that the company was working with law enforcement in several countries to prosecute the code thieves.

According to a Valve spokeswoman, Half-Life 2 is expected to be completed this summer, though a release date has not been set.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 03:09:54 AM »

Good, too many computer/internet related crimes go unpunished. I hope they'll get decent jailtime.
2D-Forever
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 01:55:55 PM »

I'm voting for jailtime as well.  We might have had Half life 2 by now if they hadn't pilfered the code;
then again, maybe not.

Crime is still crime though.

-God gave us memories so we could languish in dispair.
-Once delayed, Twice dismayed.  SNK
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 03:21:31 PM »

Nope. The code was no where near ready.  They are just using the stolen code as an excuse.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 04:43:53 AM »

jail time is stupid for many crimes in my opinion

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 04:44:26 AM »

and I meant to say "gaol" GAOL  G_A_O_L cos that's how it's spelt here. Smiley

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 04:59:52 AM »

Valve officials said the alleged hackers were tracked down within days of the announcement that the code theft would result in a delay of the game's release.
Exactly when the arrests were made was not disclosed.  
i think we can narrow down when the arrests were made to within days how about you?
but that is good news

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length