RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:02:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Pledge of allegiance law 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Pledge of allegiance law  (Read 6817 times)
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« on: October 07, 2004, 07:50:53 AM »

I found out today that it is a law in Washington State that all public schools have to say the Pledge of allegiance.  Doesn't anyone else think that forcing people to say it kind of goes against what it stands for?  Do any other states do this?

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 08:24:31 AM »

What exactly is the pledge of allegiance?
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 08:57:22 AM »

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
    of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
    one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

I dont know if it is law here in Ohio, but we always started the school day with it.  

For some reason, I always thought this was similar to what the Third Reich did, but not on as large of a scale.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 09:00:26 AM by hydrobond » Logged

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 09:37:32 AM »

Yeah, it's pretty damn pathetic to be forced to say that.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 11:44:41 AM »

I like the Third Reich comnparision Hydro.
There was also a huge thing over in Cali about getting under God removed from the pledge because of some Atheist. Which is equally pathetic.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 11:51:08 AM »

And in Catholic schools, they always told us not to worship false idols, and they would show us videos of the silly heathens (Edited to add: I hope you see my sarcasm here.) chanting to stupid objects....  yet we were forced to put our hands over our hearts and pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth that hung from the wall.  Contradictory?  Yes.  Stupid regardless?  Also yes.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 11:52:27 AM by admin » Logged

Zimbacca
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 11:58:25 AM »

I refuse to say it because I'm being forced to.  because if you think about it if you are forced to say it makes it meaningless.  

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 12:08:46 PM »

And in Catholic schools, they always told us not to worship false idols, and they would show us videos of the silly heathens (Edited to add: I hope you see my sarcasm here.) chanting to stupid objects....  yet we were forced to put our hands over our hearts and pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth that hung from the wall.  Contradictory?  Yes.  Stupid regardless?  Also yes.

I am in a chatholic school now. It all depends on the spin you put on it. According to them you are pledging to uphold freedom and it shows pride in you're counrty and those who sacraficed thier lives in wars for it.
Plus you say God so it can't be bad. :-/
I refuse to say it because I'm being forced to.  because if you think about it if you are forced to say it makes it meaningless.  

I sometimes say it i sometimes don't same thing as praying at the begining of every class. I don't find myself to be a very religious person and so 9 times out of 10 i don't pray. In fact i didnt know any of the prayers when i started going to school here.
For me this is just 3 minutes that we don't have to have real class.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 12:11:30 PM by IZRET101 » Logged

Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 10:29:03 PM »

I am in a chatholic school now. It all depends on the spin you put on it. According to them you are pledging to uphold freedom and it shows pride in you're counrty and those who sacraficed thier lives in wars for it.

Kind of ironic, don't you think?  Being forced to say it to show you are vowing to uphold freedom?  How much sense does that make?

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Zimbacca
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 11:53:30 PM »

None what so ever.  In fact even my principal (who is an ex-marine) is against it.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 03:29:48 AM »

We are not forced to say it here. It is the states law not the Countries law.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 12:30:55 PM »

my 4 year old daughter is in kindergarten and already knows the Pledge of Allegience.

I been a LONG time but I don't recall having to say the pledge in junior high or high school. I always thought it was an excersise for the younger kids to teach them about patriotism. I don't have a problem with having the kids say it every day if a school tradition. I don't think it's right for it to be a law, that does ruin the meaning. Playing the National Anthem before sporting events has been a long standing tradition but it's not a law, if it were it wouldn't mean anything.

sinning.dragon
Atari 7800

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 09:53:46 AM »

I found out today that it is a law in Washington State that all public schools have to say the Pledge of allegiance.  Doesn't anyone else think that forcing people to say it kind of goes against what it stands for?  Do any other states do this?

Didn't you know that last year when they started making us say the Pledge in the morning?

Anyway, that crazy librarian called me a terrorist last year for sitting quietly and respectfully instead of saying the pledge. Why do people keep calling me a terrorist?

Phia the Pirate: which I think means that link is a slut
Phia the Pirate: because, you know, he keeps taking it in the face
Zimbacca
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 03:03:50 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  Oh well, my point is the same.  

To answer your terrorist questing, if you do anything that might be considered unpatriotic even if you're being respectful you're branded a terrorist. Kind of like in the 1950's but instead of being a communist you're a terrorist.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 03:48:11 PM »

It seems like you're questioning this train of thought... hmmmm, better inform homeland secturity, the fbi, the cia and the local police.

Don't you have the 10 commendments hanging in public buildings too? I remember seeing this michael moore show a few years back in which they had an item about it. I'm not sure it ever went through though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length