RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:59:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Hybrid CD-ROMs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hybrid CD-ROMs  (Read 2365 times)
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« on: December 12, 2007, 03:26:08 AM »

Just a quick question regarding PC/Mac Hybrid CD-ROMs.
At present, these games get two listings, one as a Mac game, and one as a PC game. However before adding anymore of these types of games I wanted to know which direction RFG wanted to head with this.

Do we stick to the current method, or would RFG rather have a PC/Mac Hybrid category that shows up under both PC & Mac searches.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 06:52:24 AM »

I vote for adding a hybrid category.  But we have to leave the current system in place as well because not all PC/Mac games are hybrid.  Some PC/Mac games are two separate versions. 

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Tan
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 07:38:11 AM »

Another aspect to consider here is member collection pages and checklists. If someone is a PC or MAC gamer, they like to keep their games in either one of those categories. Having a hybrid section although proper and accurate, conflicts with the collection tracking side of things. You end up with splitting your PC collection into two categories, not to mention the search function nightmare and members submitting titles that they don't find in one of those two existing sections.

A good example of this are the Burger King games (Sneak King, Big Bumpin, Pocketbike Racer). These are hybrid games that work on both the Xbox and the Xbox 360 (not through backwards compat mind you). Not everyone owns a 360, or perhaps an Xbox1, but would like to add those three titles to their current list for whichever of the two they own. We currently list these in both sections so members can choose their intended system.

For the sake of the collection tools, I think double listing these is fine, members can continue to submit them for either section as needed. Maybe a special note in the trivia or overview section that they are indeed made for both and possibly adding the alternate version as a related game.

Mind you that's just my 2 cents here, when the Content Director and game database Editors weigh in, we'll have a better idea of what they have in mind for this. Smiley
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:51:24 PM »

We also need to keep in mind this isn't something limited to PC/MAC world.  I have several games (yet to be added to the DB!!) that came with dual use 5-1/4 inch disks.  These games are for systems like Apple II, Atari, Commodore, or PC and would include 1 or 2 diskettes that would be formated on one side for one of these systems and another system on the second side.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 03:54:03 AM »

I'd have to agree with Tan in-light of bum-man's post also. There are probably too many Hybrid (and yet not enough Wink) games out there for many different formats. Best bet is to give them two entries like we have at present with them linking to one another.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »

I agree with Tan. It is OK for them to have an entry in each section.

St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 01:27:35 AM »

We had this discussion a little while ago with games working for multiple systems.  For right now, I think two entries is ok.  In the long run we'll have to find a way to tie entries to multiple consoles, since I see more and more games being cross-compatible in the future.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 08:56:12 AM »

I agree to keep separate entries for now. As the hybrid-discs are really hard to implant in the system. I think only way will be by linking up games as marked same release. Some hybrid even stranger for example Football Manager UK says hybrid PC/Mac while dutch ones say PC only, or my Diablo on the box says it is Macintsh while also the PC version is included.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »

Any new thoughts on this?

Readding games to my collection got me thinking about it again.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »

Any new thoughts on this?
I don't think so. Tan's answer was pretty much said it all.

Also, I doubt many people will be playing their games on both a Mac and PC at the same time. So when you install a game on, say, a Mac, then add the Mac game to your collection and vice versa for when you play it on a PC.

Or just add them for both platforms to "have" some more games in your collection, although that sounds a bit silly to me. Tongue
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »

Brought it back up specifically because of the Burger King games.
And because
Mind you that's just my 2 cents here, when the Content Director and game database Editors weigh in, we'll have a better idea of what they have in mind for this.

For right now, I think two entries is ok.  In the long run we'll have to find a way to tie entries to multiple consoles, since I see more and more games being cross-compatible in the future.

Was just curious if there were any new thoughts/developments on the matter.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length