RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:35:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Bottom 25 list is quite odd 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bottom 25 list is quite odd  (Read 2178 times)
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« on: December 25, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »

The 25th worst game in the world, according to this site, is Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64, with an average score of 79.23.

One second before it was 25th from the bottom, it was 100th on the list of best games, before I voted it a 5, so I could see what was on nr. 101.

Would it maybe be a good idea to tweak the standards for the bottom list, so that you actually get bad games in it?

Also, to make the lists jerk proof, it might be a good idea to drop the grading system alltogether. How about scoring games by giving them either a + or a -? This way the top rated game, will be the game that has the largest sum of plusses (or thumbs up, or whatever).
I can imagine most people on the staff won't be too happy with changing the format, but seeing how crappy the current system is, it could be good to think about some alternatives.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »

People need to actually rate the games in order for their rankings to change. However, people do not do that.

Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 08:53:20 PM »

Exactly, games need 10 ratings in order to be on the top/bottom lists and currently there's so few games that have that many that games with decent ratings are in the bottom 25.  If more people rate games that will correct itself.

We will always keep it on channel 3!
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 06:16:43 AM »

But untill people do, wouldn't it look better to make a bottom 25 list that only requires 5 votes? That way you can be sure it actually consists of games that deserve to be on a list like that.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 08:42:18 AM »

The number of votes needed to put a game on a top or bottom list was raised to avoid people thinking "Shaq Fu... Yeah! That was so bad it's cool!" then voting it 100%.

I think the problem is just people not bothering to vote... something I'm guilty of myself.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:15:34 AM »

But Shaq Fu IS cool!

Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 04:01:17 PM »

It was 5, but people were complaining about ratings being skewed by people who would purposely vote games 0 or 100 to sabotage the ratings.  It's a balance, less required votes = greater effect of single votes, more votes required = better representation, but less games on the top lists.  As was said, once people start voting on a regular basis this will eventually straighten itself out.

We will always keep it on channel 3!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length