RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:21:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Progress Tracker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Progress Tracker  (Read 34880 times)
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: January 02, 2008, 07:08:38 PM »

So, I have on my whiteboard of things to do something called a "Progress Tracker". My question for you all is what do you want in a Progress tracker? (Only for games). I would like to know how complex you wish for such a thing to be, as extensive complexity could make such a project infeasible to do.

Hello World.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:03:38 PM »

well, first, it should be set up as a log. almost like a blog of sorts. You can set up a progress blog or tracker, on all of he games playing, and when you beat it, you press a button that says beaten, and If someone looks in your collection, the see in a checkbox that the game was beaten. This is a great Idea. You programming whizes should really go for it!

Tell me about your variants...
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »

Amount of Achievement Points gained in a 360 game.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:01:44 PM »

I would suggest the Progress Tracker not be linked into your collection.

Adding more checkboxes and options down the side of the collection pages would just make it sloppy and rather un-uniform.

Tools could have another link in it to Progress Tracker where you can keep track of games you beat, highscores, XBL acheivements, etc etc.

Exactly how it could work would probably be a bit hard. Probably especially in the  manner that breifly popped into my head.

Maybe have it set up where you could view games per system to accomidate differences like highscores, achivement points, beaten/played/unplayed/etc. Since some games do not actually have an ending.

I am better at offering idea tweaks though...

It will definately be quite an undertaking if we can manage to get it off the ground.

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:38:23 PM »

Add a direct PM link to a submitter of a game/hardware submission to easily shoot them a quick message about the respective submittal.

Terry  |  Marriott_Guy

Video Game Console Library  |  http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:18:04 PM »

Add a direct PM link to a submitter of a game/hardware submission to easily shoot them a quick message about the respective submittal.

I think you have misinterpreted progress tracker.

It is more of a "I've beaten this game... This game rules, or it sucks, this is how far I am, this is what I've gotten... etc"

Hello World.
Ken B.
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:43:16 AM »

I would definitely find a feature useful--it would be nice to see games you have "unfinished business" with.

Would this be linked with the 'plays' feature by date, or is that a seperate thing?
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »

This is a "wow, this is a cool idea, how can I develop it to be truly awesome" type of thing.

Hello World.
Ken B.
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 02:59:37 PM »

The sites where I've seen this sort of thing used integrate it on the game page itself.  So let's say you browse to Sonic CD...looking at manuals and things like that, grouped in with the ability to click ownership and/or rate, below that there would be a "I played this game on ..." with a calendar drop-down.  You'd click the date you played and click "Submit", boom, play logged for that game.

Other fields like you're talking about could be integrated on the page just the same.  A tick box saying, "I have completed this game."  Maybe just have one button so you could update plays and/or completions.

It would integrate nicely with a button in your own profile where you could select "Games beaten".  Even better, you could click some filters so you could have something like (Games Beaten = 'No' and Games Owned = 'Yes')

Lastly could be an editable box for typing in additional user comments.  Since getting all the achievements in there would be a lot of work, you could just input them yourself in the comments box.

You know what else would go great with this?  If you could read user comments for games.  Bang, suddenly you've given everyone a ton of "mini-reviews" for games.  Super Mario World a classic, eh?  Click on "Comments" and see 100+ users with their comments, criticisms, or complaints.

Just brainstorming, and also stealing liberally from other sites that have similar implementations. 

jcalder8
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »

I love the idea for this. Personally I would love to be able to put a date in for last played and be able to search through games that have and have not been played.

I also like the idea for having the option to mark a game as beaten.
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 11:10:47 PM »

We'll see where things are at the end of March. This quarter is too much hell to take on a project such as this, and I have programming commitments for the site that first must be satisfied.

Hello World.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 10:56:22 AM »

This a great idea.  If you can implement this will rock!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
NayusDante
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 07:11:32 AM »

I personally REALLY need something like this. Right now, I'm posting completion status in my comments box, but I'd rather use that to comment on condition and such. A simple Yes/No/Other would suffice, only taking up a binary value in most cases, and a text string when needed.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »

I'd add maybe a tickerbox to check beaten games.
Adding the possibilty to show achievements points for the 360 or a percentage in a game that has one, should be nice too.

Making it more complicated with lots of different options to accomodate exact progress, high-scores, progress-blogs, etc. seem a bit over-the-top to me; but if there's a big demand for such extensive systems, it's ok to me.

If you'd have difficulties programming it, I'd just do the tickerbox to indicate whether a game is beaten or not. Would definately be a big improvement already nod
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »

Well the progress tracker is in development, and well, I'll see what I can do. Smiley

Hello World.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length