RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:16:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration Archives | List 'em: "Holy Grails" and "Hard to Finds": 2000 to present 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: List 'em: "Holy Grails" and "Hard to Finds": 2000 to present  (Read 3427 times)
Tan
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:20:12 AM »

So I thought I'd mix this one up a bit. This thread is for those games that you have searched long and hard for to find that have come out since 2000. Some of them may be dirt common to some folks, others quite rare. But in any case each one was a quest all onto themselves to locate and add to your collection. I'll start off with mine:

Mass Effect Limited Collector's Edition (X360) - Sold only online and Canada almost didn't even get them at all. Boneheaded move I hope they don't repeat for M.E. 2.

Forza Motorsports 2 Limited Collector's Edition (X360) - Looked everywhere and found the last remaining copy in the city tucked away in a corner, almost missed it.

Star Trek Tactical Assault (DS) - Another game that barely made it here, and even then only one chain carried it and that lone copy was 100 miles away. My wife found it for me while she was on a business trip.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (DS) - Spent months on the lookout for this game, found one buried in a bargain bin just as I was giving up hope.

Ace Combat 4 (PS2) - Was 4-5 years old by the time I wanted to buy it, looked for months to replace the free GH copy I had, had to bide my time on eBay for a CIB regular version to come along, and even that took a while.

Gran Turismo 3 A-spec [Not for Sale] (PS2) - This is the red cover version that was a pack-in. No particular reason why I wanted it, I just wanted the red one for some reason. Bought one, clerk put a blue version disc in it but had no manual, bought another one, had the right disc but had a french manual, bought a third in another store, once again blue disc but right manual this time. So I put the best of each one together to make one good one CIB copy and sold the other two. What a pain that was and not all at the same time either, so it was a work in progress for a while there. Tongue

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2) - Holy crap this game is hard to find non-GH and CIB! When I found out that this version was different than the PC/XB/GCN version, I just had to have it. Took a year of keeping an eye out while hunting to find this CIB in the wild and non-GH. Even though Greatest Hits versions are a dime a dozen.

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PS2) - I don't know if it's sought after or rare, but this is one damn hard game to find in my area. I stumbled upon it in a pawn shop for less than half of what it is used. It's one of those used games that even EB/Gamestop asks over $40 for years after release. Still the one and only copy I have ever seen around here.

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (GCN) - Since I didn't have a 'cube when this came out, it was a challenge trying to find the original big box version with the GBA cable in it. Every copy I saw seemed to be loose with no extras or Player's Choice versions. Finally found one lone brand new copy that must have been old stock let out for some air, from a grocery store no less!

APEX (Xbox) - You'd be surprised how hard this game can be to find. I bought it when it was new but I had sold it when I got rid of my first Xbox. It took a long time to see this again and it only resurfaced when everyone started dumping their Xbox stock in the last 6 months.

Samurai Shodown V (Xbox) - Longtime fan of the series, the copy I bought new a few months ago is the only one I had ever seen. I didn't think I'd ever find it without resorting to eBay.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory [limited Collector's Edition]
(Xbox) - Even though the Xbox had a shitload of "Limited Editions", I'm sure this one is actually limited. I was lucky enough to find this in good shape in late 2007, for $15 CIB 2 years after it was released. As a huge fan of the series I can breathe easy now.

Front Mission 3 (PS1) - I'm a late comer to this series. I was intrigued by FM 4 and enjoyed it so much I had to track 3 down. I was lucky enough to find this in a game shop that was closing, it came from the owner's personal collection.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (GBA) - As many of you probably know, it can be hard to find GBA games CIB and mint. Even harder at a good price it seems. Both my wife and I are huge fans of all things Forgotten Realms, and the games are no exception. We looked for this game for months, loose copies, copies with manuals wrapped around them, boxed with no manual. Finally found a CIB copy for $30 used, a tough pill to swallow but it did end a long hunt for this game. Good game too BTW, simple, but addictive.
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 01:40:15 AM »

Just a couple that I have had a bit of trouble tracking down:

Nocturne (PS2) - I looked for this for quite a while before I gave up hope and just bought it on eBay. I found only one at Game Stop, but it was in terrible condition so I passed. This was one of the ones I was happy I got. What a great game.

Tetris DS (DS) - No idea why Nintendo decided they were going to stop making this game, but it makes for a hard find. I only just recently got a DS, but this was one that I wanted to get ASAP. I've called every game shop in the area and was only able to track down one loose copy. Just today I found a great deal through an obscure online store (got it new for $35 shipped)

Ikaruga (GC) - I looked for this one for quite a while before finding it at a local shop. I paid more for it than any other GC game I own, but it was worth it.

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (NGC) - For some reason, finding a CIB non-GH and non-'Best Seller' was a bit tricky for me. It wasn't expensive, but it took a while to find one.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Ys: The Ark of Nepishtim on your list. I have had the game for some time now. I picked up a cheap new copy from Game Stop a while after the game had been released (I think I paid $15 or $20 for it).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 01:44:40 AM by Bad Enough Dude » Logged

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 03:23:17 AM »

Tricky finds...

Gamecube
Ikaruga -  The clerk at the game store applauded me for picking this one up.  I was in awe that I even managed to find it.

Eternal Darkness - Why do so few people know about the good games?  And why are they still so expensive when I find them?

PS2
Rez - A limited printing of an obscure game to an unknowing public.  The ravenous fanbase keeps the price high though.  Sega made it better though and released Rez HD on Xbox LIVE Arcade in January 2008.  The original Dreamcast version is still one of the two hottest European imports along with Shenmue II.

Xbox
Steel Battalion - The ultimate in console mech simulation with a monstrous set of controls.  It is as detailed as to delete your save if you don't press the button to eject your pilot before your machine is destroyed.  Large size and high price keep this one for only the most dedicated.

The real Grails...

Sonic Adventure: Limited Edition -  A promo version of the game you could rent with a dreamcast the summer before launch.  The "rental" nature of this disc makes it difficult to find complete, let alone in good condition.  Can anyone help me out on this one?  I still need the case insert.  I'll pay $40 USD for it shipped.

SGGG SegaGaGa - Sega's glorypiece.  Save Sega from going under by changing their business practices.  Includes tons of inside jokes and references to classic franchises.  The regular version is difficult to find while the limited edition and boxed set versions are rarely ever seen.

...Dreamcast shmups, especially the later ones.  Each one seems to be sold out the moment preorders are offered.  International competition for ownership makes finding these more expensive as playing imports on Dreamcast can be done with ease and without hardware modding.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:30:54 AM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
Tan
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 03:23:34 AM »

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (NGC) - For some reason, finding a CIB non-GH and non-'Best Seller' was a bit tricky for me. It wasn't expensive, but it took a while to find one.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Ys: The Ark of Nepishtim on your list. I have had the game for some time now. I picked up a cheap new copy from Game Stop a while after the game had been released (I think I paid $15 or $20 for it).

Wow yeah I forgot about PM: TTYD. IMO the best Gamecube game and yeah I also had a helluva time finding a non-PC copy CIB. I got mine for the Player's Choice $24.99 price used and worth every penny.

Napishtim was a game I played on a PS2 demo disc from one of the magazines I had. Being a Baldur's Gate/Norrath/Bard's Tale/Heroes fan, I simply had to have this game. Really underrated and not given it's due because it strays from the traditional gameplay of the series. If you like this you'd prob enjoy Shining Force Neo as well.
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 03:30:41 AM »

Wow yeah I forgot about PM: TTYD. IMO the best Gamecube game and yeah I also had a helluva time finding a non-PC copy CIB. I got mine for the Player's Choice $24.99 price used and worth every penny.

Napishtim was a game I played on a PS2 demo disc from one of the magazines I had. Being a Baldur's Gate/Norrath/Bard's Tale/Heroes fan, I simply had to have this game. Really underrated and not given it's due because it strays from the traditional gameplay of the series. If you like this you'd prob enjoy Shining Force Neo as well.

I had to get my PM: TTYD on eBay. There are very few places around here where I can even find GC games anymore, let alone places that have a nice selection. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it was less than $20 shipped.

I actually have SFN, I just haven't played it yet. Did you also enjoy Shining Force EXA?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:33:03 AM by Bad Enough Dude » Logged

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 02:39:35 PM »

Unless it is a super ultra limited edition game that you could only get if you bought the 10,000,000th PSX or get at some GunCon event I don't think there are any true grails.

Tan
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 04:59:07 PM »

super ultra limited edition

A $500 BIN  or a "limited only 100 made" doesn't necessarily make a grail at all, in some cases little or no effort in getting it is required. A grail is a game that appeals to you personally, regardless of cost, rarity or prestige, and it's acquisition a memorable story or a hard task that required a lot of time and/or effort.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »

super ultra limited edition

A $500 BIN  or a "limited only 100 made" doesn't necessarily make a grail at all, in some cases little or no effort in getting it is required. A grail is a game that appeals to you personally, regardless of cost, rarity or prestige, and it's acquisition a memorable story or a hard task that required a lot of time and/or effort.

By super ultra rare I am talking about stuff like that gold case(i think it was gold) GunCon game.

BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 05:13:23 PM »

Figured I'd rekindle the flames of this thread. I have been looking for what seems like months for 'Atelier Iris 2' for the PS2. I loved the first, and would like to continue on with the series, but it's been a major pain in the ass. I'll more than likely just resort to eBay. Sigh.

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 12:01:05 PM »

PS2
Rez - A limited printing of an obscure game to an unknowing public.  The ravenous fanbase keeps the price high though.  Sega made it better though and released Rez HD on Xbox LIVE Arcade in January 2008.  The original Dreamcast version is still one of the two hottest European imports along with Shenmue II.
I have to agree with this one. I've got a promotional copy, but not the "real" game.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length