RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:31:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration Archives | List 'em: "Holy Grails" and "Hard to Finds": 1990's 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: List 'em: "Holy Grails" and "Hard to Finds": 1990's  (Read 3157 times)
Tan
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:59:39 AM »

Continuing in the series, this time the 1990's. Feel free to list those games from that decade you found difficult to find, or worked really hard to get a hold of. Not necessarily rare or anything, just damn hard or almost epic in it's story (as much as it can be for a collector Tongue) Here's mine in no particular order:

Silent Bomber (PS1) - Now this game I know is rare, though few realize that yet. I had a demo of this in 98 or 99 from the Official PlayStation Mag, I played it over and over again I loved it so much. Unfortunately it had a limited release and I never saw it on store shelves when it came out in 1999. Availability fluctuates a lot of this game, and so does the price. But you better believe that when I started getting serious with my collecting that this one was on the top of my list. It took a lot of searching and a bit of cash to secure a near brand new copy of this game. I don't have a lot of rare or valuable games persay, but this is definitely one of the most valuable and rare I own, worth more personally than my whole PS1 collection total as far as I'm concerned.

Wetrix (N64) - Oh man do I ever love this game! I didn't have a lot of love for the Nintendo 64 back then, but man this game almost burnt out the system we kept in our apartment. Everyone would get addicted to this and we'd have a grand time topping each others scores. All nighters and plenty of parties would find this game living in the machine, it even rivaled Goldeneye for play time. So when it was time to find a CIB copy, I settled for nothing but the best. I managed to snag myself a brand new sealed copy for a reasonable price. It was almost like the late 90's all over again. Sometimes opening a sealed game from years gone by can do that to you, really throw the nostalgia your way.

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
(PS1) - This game was huge as well when all my friends were in university in the late 90's. I looked for a long time to find a non-GH copy. I was lucky enough to find one brand new for like $5, deals like that don't come along often enough.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Crossroads of Time (SNES) - My favorite TV show, I didn't even know this game existed until a few years ago. Through the power of emulation I found this gen amongst the SNES library. I turned down several copies in various states on completion to find the one I have today. It was only like $20 but had every single insert and flyer insdie it, including the DS9 poster I badly wanted.

Stargate (Genesis) - Another of my favorite shows, I was as picky about this game as the one listed above. It took a while to find a copy in the shape that one I have is in. I chose this one over the SNES version because I knew I had a better chance of finding it in great shape with the clamshell case versus the SNES cardboard.

Alien vs. Predator (Jaguar) - Say what you will of the Jaguar, this game rocks! Not the hardest or rarest to find, but still plenty expensive especially CIB. I played this way back when it was new and instantly loved it. I paid a bit more than I know I should have but to finally have this CIB including overlays, it was an indulgence to just click a BIN and suck it up.

Heroes of the Lance (SMS) - Not only am I a fan of Dragonlance, I've used the character Tanthalas Half-Elven as my in-game avatar for over 20 years now. Needless to say any game with him in it automatically gets Holy Grail status. I'm also a big SMS fan, so when I found out the the SMS had a superior version to the NES one released in Europe, I had to have it. Hence the one and only imported game in my collection. Bought from eBay UK surprisingly ch%ap and in mint shape. Shipping was so cheap I thought there was a type or mistake made.
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 03:11:27 AM »

I think I traded 2 loose copies of Super Metroid for my CIB Alien vs. Predator. Definitely a deal I am happy to have made.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:22:02 PM »

Was Heroes of the Lance released in Canada Keith? It wasn't in the states.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »

Hard games for me to find..hmm............

Bible Adventures for the Genesis was a pain for me to find. The NES version is all over the place and made finding the Genesis one a little bit harder.

Anotehr Genesis tile that was a pain to find it Theme Park and Miracle  Piano. Miracle Piano took me 5-6 years to find.

Tan
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:30:27 PM »

Was Heroes of the Lance released in Canada Keith? It wasn't in the states.

No it wasn't. There were a few European games we got up here, but that wasn't one of them. I got my copy from the UK. Smiley
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:54:43 PM »

I think i have the ultimate holy grail game. Its gotta be an original cartridge of Nintendo World Championships 1990. An original gold cart of the game once went on ebay for $10,000.

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
lackofselfcontrol
Jaguar CD
Sweden

Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 07:29:59 AM »

Silent Bomber (PS1)

My PAL copy of this is sealed, no idea if it's worth something though.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 06:07:19 AM »

Silent Bomber (PS1)

If it's sealed I think you could easily get $50-60 for it. It's pretty rare.
Tan
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »

Silent Bomber (PS1)

If it's sealed I think you could easily get $50-60 for it. It's pretty rare.

Unfortunately the European version is very easy to find, you can get it for less than 4 Euros brand new. Tongue

The North American version is only rare because it had an exceedingly low print run. I've heard something like only 10,000 copies exist or less and many of those never made it to retail. Whether that's true or not I have no idea, but as one who followed that game from announcement to demo to retail, I never found that game in any store in any of the cities/towns I had looked for it.

Typical eBay North American copies go from $30 on a good day to $100 on a bad in any condition.

Fantastic game BTW, it's like a superior 3D, 3rd person Bomberman!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:59:53 AM by Tan » Logged
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »

Unfortunately the European version is very easy to find, you can get it for less than 4 Euros brand new. Tongue
Ooops, forget what I said, lackofselfcontrol Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length