RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:53:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration Archives | Weekly Poll 2/19/08 - The death of HD-DVD 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Now that Toshiba has thrown in the towel in the format war, do you want a Blu-Ray add-on for your Xbox 360?
Of course not, it's a game machine dammit!   -10 (43.5%)
Definately not   -2 (8.7%)
I don't care either way   -8 (34.8%)
Maybe, depends on the price   -2 (8.7%)
Yes I'd like one soon   -1 (4.3%)
Yes but I want it to be an internal drive   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Weekly Poll 2/19/08 - The death of HD-DVD  (Read 4985 times)
Tan
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »

Personally I don't care, I'd rather have a standalone player if I did, even if I jumped on the blu-ray wagon and had a PS3, I'd still use that for a gaming machine and own another for movies.

Even comparing the HD addon versus standalone players for HD-DVD, the 360 add-on sold horribly. It makes me wonder if it's a matter of "if it's there I'll use it", especially since apparently only 40% of PS3 owners even know their machine can play Blu-Ray discs, which still says a lot about gamers wanting game machines.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:13:43 PM by Tan » Logged
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »

A Blu-ray drive won't happen since Microsoft would rather just stick to their download service.

Also, that data you quoted was from last August...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:47:30 PM by Tondog » Logged

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »

A Blu-ray drive won't happen since Microsoft would rather just stick to their download service.

hey, it works better than Charter Wink

it's thinking
Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »

hey, it works better than Charter Wink
True that. Cheesy

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Tan
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »

Also, that data you quoted was from last August...

True, but now that the format war is over, it greatly reduces the media coverage of Blu-Ray. No more weekly, sometimes daily, stories about choosing one over the other, Buyer's guides for the format war, bragging about features etc. Now it's Blu-Ray versus DVD versus Downloadable, a more lonely and harder uphill battle.

Let's speculate for a moment and say that statistic has been halved, which is probably a gross exaggeration since it was only 7 months ago that figure came out, that's still 1 in 5 PS3 owners who have no idea about Blu-Ray for movies.

Now that there are more standalone models available, the film aficionados who bought a PS3 to have a less expensive player in the beginning, are buying other models leaving the bulk of Blu-Ray usage to gamers and those who wanted a "do it all machine".
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 06:11:25 PM »

I wouldn't use my xbox 360 in any way to watch movies, because it makes too much noise. Besides, I'd rather pay a little bit extra and get a ps3 along with it. Add-ons have never been a good idea and never will be.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »

Yes, I'd like one soon.

Oh wai-

When shall his new form be revealed?
Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 08:07:24 PM »

Consoles are for gaming!

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 08:11:23 PM »

I don't have a 360, but if I did, I wouldn't want a Blu-Ray player (or an HD-DVD player). I still believe game consoles are best suited for games, and movies should be played on players made for them specifically.

Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 10:03:08 PM »

I still believe game consoles are best suited for games, and movies should be played on players made for them specifically.
The thing is that the PS3 is considered by home theater enthusiasts to be one of (if not the best) Blu-ray players on the market.

Follow me on Twitter
Tan
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 10:40:57 PM »

I still believe game consoles are best suited for games, and movies should be played on players made for them specifically.
The thing is that the PS3 is considered by home theater enthusiasts to be one of (if not the best) Blu-ray players on the market.

That's like saying your the best tennis player in a two person tournament. The PS2 was once considered among the best DVD players until the market flooded with superior standalone players with more features.

With Sony being a consumer product company as well as a Blu-Ray pioneer, it'll be interesting to see if their own players will meet or exceed the PS3's standards, firmware can't do everything after all.

Don't you pine for the days when your game system, fridge and movie player didn't need their own permanent homes in your router? Remember when the joke was setting the clock on a VCR? Now it's PPOE settings and DMZing lol.
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 12:30:29 AM »

If I had a 360, this question would probly have more importance to me.  As such, my most pressing moment right now is should I drink 1 or 2 cups of coffie when I wake up and will I remember to grab my large glass of ice water before I head out.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »

Consoles are for gaming.

Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »

Consoles are for gaming.
I'd like to think so, but I use my PS3 for so much more than just gaming. I watch YouTube clips on it, check websites, watch DVDs, watch downloaded/converted movies, play music, etc on it too...Maybe that can be chalked up to us PS3 owners having jackshit for games Wink

Follow me on Twitter
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 06:33:10 PM »

I wouldn't use my xbox 360 in any way to watch movies, because it makes too much noise. Besides, I'd rather pay a little bit extra and get a ps3 along with it. Add-ons have never been a good idea and never will be.
What about add-ons to computers? As consoles seem to establish more features a computer and other communication devices have I expect some hardware devices interacting somehow if they aren't built-in already. Could you imagine what you could do with a dot-matrix printer hooked to your PS3?

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length