RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:51:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration Archives | Weekly Poll 2/24/08 - EA eyes Take-Two 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: How do you feel about EA's attempt to buy Take-Two?
Who is Take-Two?   -0 (0%)
I don't care, Take-Two sucks anyway.   -1 (5.3%)
Damn EA and their insatiable hunger!   -10 (52.6%)
Oh no! I love 2k sports games!   -4 (21.1%)
The bully needs a punch in the nose!   -4 (21.1%)
This will be a great thing for Take-Two.   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Weekly Poll 2/24/08 - EA eyes Take-Two  (Read 4779 times)
Tan
« on: February 24, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »

So Electronic Arts has tried to buyout Take-Two for a hefty $2 billion. Take-Two of course has declined the offer, but I have a feeling it'll happen sooner or later if EA wants it bad enough. Just for the record, here's a few of the games/companies/series which make Take-Two so enticing:

2K Games
Firaxis Games
2K Boston/2K Australia
2K Czech (formerly Illusion Softworks)
Take-Two Licensing (formerly known as TDK Mediactive)
Venom Games, Ltd.
2K Sports
2K Play
Global Star Software
Jack of All Games
Rockstar Games, Ltd.

Notable series/games:
Civilization
Sid Meier's Pirates!
BioShock / System Shock
Tribes: Vengeance
Mafia / Mafia 2
NBA 2K
College Hoops 2K
Major League Baseball 2K
NHL 2K
Top Spin
Grand Theft Auto
Manhunt
Bully
Midnight Club

So what do you think? Will they eventually buy them out? Can Take-Two fight them off? Or do you think this will be a good thing?
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 11:06:23 PM »

I really don't care...

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:13:18 PM »

For the record:  I voted "don't care", but I don't think that Take-Two sucks.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 11:42:03 PM »

I don't really care about this, outside of the fact that it seems like the NBA2K series would be liquidated. I always liked them MUCH more than the NBA Live games.

Do we think that there will be a lot of changes to the other series?

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 12:11:46 AM »

FUCK OFF EIDOS, YOU'LL KILL MAFIA 2

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tan
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 12:24:19 AM »

There's a good article at Kotaku about some of the possible changes should this buyout go through at some point. EA has a vastly different online policy and multiplatform policy than Take-Two, and even their new "hands-off" approach won't change that.

Besides the near total monopoly on all sports games they would have, they would dissuade free download content for new games and no doubt port to many more platforms. Also count on EA keeping a lid on any game that may be controversial. So Rockstar would be a much more behaved developer.

Personally, the only series of concern to me is the NHL 2k. It's very much superior to EA's and many can attest to that.

Take-Two is still among the largest, it would be like Toyota (#1 in the world) buying Ford (#3). The implications would be larger than the changing of hands or reshuffling.

Eidos has nothing to do with either the development nor the publishing of that game. Wink
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:45:51 AM »

Oh EA, what company don't you want to buy?  Roll Eyes

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:24:06 AM »

This would suck for the industry if EA succeeds at getting Take Two.

Not only would the sports franchises be monopolies, but everything else that Take Two publishes would get the EA stamp of "suckage" on it. Tongue

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:17:59 PM »

This would suck bad. So much for playing a good sports game at all. Whatever EA touches turns to shit.

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:32:30 PM »

true that, competition between the NHL 0X and NHL 2K series is the only thing that keeps driving hockey games to evolve.

it's thinking
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 02:43:35 PM »

true that, competition between the NHL 0X and NHL 2K series is the only thing that keeps driving hockey games to evolve.

Same with their respective NBA franchises. The 2K series wipes up the Live series. I'm scared to see what will happen.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »

To find out what would happen look no further than Nascar.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 05:36:13 PM »

There's a good article at Kotaku about some of the possible changes should this buyout go through at some point. EA has a vastly different online policy and multiplatform policy than Take-Two, and even their new "hands-off" approach won't change that.

Besides the near total monopoly on all sports games they would have, they would dissuade free download content for new games and no doubt port to many more platforms. Also count on EA keeping a lid on any game that may be controversial. So Rockstar would be a much more behaved developer.

Personally, the only series of concern to me is the NHL 2k. It's very much superior to EA's and many can attest to that.

Take-Two is still among the largest, it would be like Toyota (#1 in the world) buying Ford (#3). The implications would be larger than the changing of hands or reshuffling.

Eidos has nothing to do with either the development nor the publishing of that game. Wink

Take Two does, and if Eidos gets their grubby little paws on TT you know they'll ruin it somehow.

Although maybe it could be a good thing. When Mafia 2 doesn't live up to our expectations we can blame eidos. WOO SCAPEGOAT

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tan
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »

Take Two does, and if Eidos gets their grubby little paws on TT you know they'll ruin it somehow.

Although maybe it could be a good thing. When Mafia 2 doesn't live up to our expectations we can blame eidos. WOO SCAPEGOAT

Eidos is owned by SCI are they not? SCi has just finished downsizing and said they are willing to consider offers for buyouts themselves. They recently scrapped 14 projects they had on the go to save their asses, leaving Tomb Raider, Hitman ,Deus Ex and Championship manager as the only 4 franchises they are developing.

I think it's safe to say that Eidos' parent company is in no position to buy anyone, but may in fact be a morsel for someone else.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 06:28:44 PM »

I think it's safe to say that Eidos' parent company is in no position to buy anyone, but may in fact be a morsel for someone else.
Then along came EA Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length