RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:41:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | PSP fat vs. PSP slim 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PSP fat vs. PSP slim  (Read 3373 times)
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« on: March 17, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »

I picked up a PSP today. It was sort of a spur of the moment purchase, so I wasn't able to research the two models. Turns out I got a fat (model PSP-1001K), and I have no clue what the difference is between the two.

I suppose what I'm asking is whether I will eventually regret having this model, and if it's worth taking back and getting a slim? This was the only model they had at the store, and it was marked down from 219 to 169 (it was the value pack).

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Tan
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »

I picked up a PSP today. It was sort of a spur of the moment purchase, so I wasn't able to research the two models. Turns out I got a fat (model PSP-1001K), and I have no clue what the difference is between the two.

I suppose what I'm asking is whether I will eventually regret having this model, and if it's worth taking back and getting a slim? This was the only model they had at the store, and it was marked down from 219 to 169 (it was the value pack).

I'll tell you now that the 32meg mem stick won't last long, you can fill it pretty fast just on saves saves alone. The rest of the value pack accessories YMMV. I have a PSP travel case I prefer and I don't like headphones that use ear buds versus a band, but that's me.

The black PSP Slim is $169.99 but it doesn't come with a case, sampler or memory stick. But the Slim has several advantages including video out, significantly faster loading times, better analog nub than the "Fat" and it has a slimmer profile making it more portable and easier to hold. The buttons are better placed and so are the internal speakers.

The other thing to consider are peripherals. As time goes on more and more will be made for the Slim that may not be compatible or fit the Fat. Much like the Original GBA versus the SP was a few years ago.

If you really want a PSP, are keeping within a budget and aren't picky about the colour, you should consider a Star Wars or Daxter bundle. With the Daxter you get the new system, a 1Gb mem stick, the game Daxter and the UMB movie "Family Guy Freakin' Sweet Collection". The Star Wars bundle has the Slim, with a 1Gb stick and the game Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron. 1Gb versus 32meg speaks for itself.

Sure it's $30 for these two, but you'll prob spend that much for a new memory stick anyway if you keep the Fat you have now, and you'll have a free game too.

If money is no object, then go with whatever colour you want and deck it out with whatever accessories you want, but get a Slim. Just the improved analog and the faster loading is more than worth the extra cost.
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 04:31:08 PM »

I was afraid you'd say that Smiley Now that I think more about it, I think that they might have had the Star Wars bundle there. I wouldn't mind having the white system, but truthfully, I didn't really want Darth Vadar emblazoned on the back of my system Smiley I suppose it's a sacrifice that I might have to make.

Thanks a lot. for the info. I think I'll go back right now and make the exchange.

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »

Update: So I picked up the Star Wars bundle. I do like the white system more, and I was able to find a cheap white battery cover that didn't have the Vader silkscreen on it. It didn't come with a Memory Stick, though....

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Tan
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 07:28:26 PM »

Update: So I picked up the Star Wars bundle. I do like the white system more, and I was able to find a cheap white battery cover that didn't have the Vader silkscreen on it. It didn't come with a Memory Stick, though....

Wow, then that really makes the Daxter bundle lopsided having on top of what the Star Wars one offers, a UMD video and a memory card.

In any case, congrats on the PSP Slim.Smiley In my opinion it neatly fills many gaps the DS seems incapable of doing.
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »

Wow, then that really makes the Daxter bundle lopsided having on top of what the Star Wars one offers, a UMD video and a memory card.

In any case, congrats on the PSP Slim.Smiley In my opinion it neatly fills many gaps the DS seems incapable of doing.

Yeah. I'm more than happy with my DS, but I was blown away when I was finally able to see the PSP and what it's capable of.

And yeah, the Daxter bundle really does blow away the SW bundle that I got! I wonder why there is such a disparity between the extras that you get. Could it have something to do with the Star Wars name on the box? I'm not sure how the Sony/LucasArts contract works, but I can't figure out for the life of me why they'd make one package so much more appealing than the other.

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:48:29 PM »

SW Battlefront 2 is a newer game than Daxter...

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 09:06:09 PM »

I guess that makes sense, too. Oh well. I'm happy with this one. I like the white color more than the silver, and you can find cheap media cards online pretty easily.

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 05:32:40 AM »

I guess that makes sense, too. Oh well. I'm happy with this one. I like the white color more than the silver, and you can find cheap media cards online pretty easily.

Don't buy flash cards from ebay. They're all fake. Wink
Tan
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 11:31:14 AM »

Don't buy flash cards from ebay. They're all fake. Wink

Flash memory has dips in price and plenty of sales from time to time if your in the market for one. Sony and SanDisk developed the Duo Pro format and I wouldn't trust any other brand than those two for longterm reliability. I recently picked up a couple 4Gb cards for $40 a piece, both Sony. I've seen 1Gb cards as low as $19.99 from major retailers, so there are great deals to be had if your patient and vigilant. Smiley
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 11:48:20 AM »

I'll make sure that I'm careful Smiley

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »

I got a Sandisk 1 gig MS Pro Duo for $15 at OfficeMax a few weeks ago.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 08:55:41 PM »

I picked up a Sony 2 gig today for $30. I had a $25 gift card, so it was dirt cheap. I picked up Patapon too, but haven't played it yet.

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
VooDooPeteK
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 05:34:25 PM »

I have both and like both for different reasons

The Slim has 64 mb of ram and the fat only has 32
The Slim has video out so thats a cool thing

But I like my fat for homebrew stuff, most of it is also available for the slim but it always comes out for the fat first so I get to try stuff right away.

If I was to go buy a new psp it would be a slim all the way but used or on a trade/trade in I would get a fat one as they are usually alot less from a used game store
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length