RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:24:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Another suggestion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Another suggestion  (Read 2660 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »

I was about to post something about how the game pages now display the game scan if the box scans are missing, and how I really like it, but I got an idea while typing it up.
I understand that the pages only show 2 images in consideration for the users who don't have the fastest internet connections. But would it be possible to give members the option to display as many as they wanted? Maybe under our profile settings, it would have the option to "display box front scan on game page", "display game scan on game page", etc.
The reason I would like to see this is because it would make checking for bad scans a lot easier and quicker.

St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 04:51:06 PM »

This wouldn't be hard to do, but the question would be where to set the preference.  Right now users have a settings page in collections, but those only have to do with collection settings.  I know the forum has a settings page, but the forum is third party software and would most likely require hacking to add new settings in there.  (Dave, correct me if I'm wrong).  A simple solution for the time being would be to just increase the number of images displayed for all users so it will show the first 3 or 4 images it finds.  This might affect the layout of the rest of the page, I'll have to test it.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:41:11 PM »

The two images per page was picked for fomatting / aesthetic reasons. Too many images means too much clutter, and we want pages that don't look super cluttered.

Hello World.
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:52:47 PM »

The two images per page was picked for formatting / aesthetic reasons. Too many images means too much clutter, and we want pages that don't look super cluttered.
The pages do look good/uncluttered with 2 images, and I agree that that should remain the default. But, personally (I'm sure there are a couple people who would agree too), I don't care much what it looks like for myself. And 4 images instead of 2, if they just continue vertically really wouldn't look bad, or very different at all.

St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »

Since this would only be used by a few people (I think most are satisfied with the 2 images), I don't think it merits creating a new setting, especially since we'd have to create a new settings page just for this one setting.

What I can do is give you the link to this modified search script, which you can use to view gamepages with up to all 4 scans shown on the front page.  Note that this only works for games, not hardware.

http://www.rfgeneration.c.../cgi-bin/searchallpics.pl

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »

That works for me Cheesy

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »

Cry That link doesn't work anymore.

St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:26:28 PM »

Does now Smiley

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 11:14:14 AM »

The link works, but the function doesn't. It doesn't show any images for any games.

St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 11:59:05 AM »

Sorry about that, I fixed it.  Moving back and forth between servers, you tend to forget stuff Smiley

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »

Thanks! I figured it was from the sever switch.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 10:31:47 AM »

The two images per page was picked for formatting / aesthetic reasons. Too many images means too much clutter, and we want pages that don't look super cluttered.
The pages do look good/uncluttered with 2 images, and I agree that that should remain the default. But, personally (I'm sure there are a couple people who would agree too), I don't care much what it looks like for myself. And 4 images instead of 2, if they just continue vertically really wouldn't look bad, or very different at all.

That's a shame because I like the idea, too.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 09:11:33 AM »

Sorry about that, I fixed it.  Moving back and forth between servers, you tend to forget stuff Smiley
The images are not showing again.

St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »

Try now.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »

Perfect, thanks!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length