RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:53:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Learning Japanese 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Learning Japanese  (Read 3131 times)
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« on: November 14, 2004, 09:26:14 PM »

I'm currently trying to learn Japanese. As a gamer it's the only language that really makes sense (for an english speaking person) to learn. Frankly I want to play imports and read some novels and manga and can't which is why I'm learning. Anyways..

Anyone else trying to learn Japanese or already speak it? It would be nice to get a study group together if anyone is interested.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 06:17:13 AM »

That's something I've always wanted to do, it's just that there is never any time to do it.
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 07:14:11 AM »

Its something I plan on doing.  Knowing me though I'll never get around to it, or I'll start and then never finish.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 08:34:12 AM »

It's horribly hard. Unless you enjoy learning a new language in general, you'd be pretty crazy to just do it to read japanese comics and understand japanese cartoons and videogames.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 08:42:05 AM »

Good luck is all I have to say. This is going to be quite a challenge.  

[Ignorant American] Why doesn't everyone just learn English, I mean its the best language out there. [/Ignorant American]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 11:25:39 AM by hydrobond » Logged

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 10:49:33 AM »

Good luck is all I have to say. This is going to be quite a challenge.  

[Ignorant American] Why doesn't everyone just learn English, I mean its the best langiage out there. [/Ignorant American]

That's pretty good, my turn.

[Ignorant American] Now I'm gonna go get me my gun and shoot me some gay people because my momma said that jesus doesn't like them and then I will listen to country music and after that I'm gonna cut my hair into a mullet.[/Ignorant American]

sinning.dragon
Atari 7800

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 12:27:21 PM »

I can't wait to take a japanese class here at the college. Seriously, I've been gay over that language for a couple of years and now I'll be able to sit down and make an attempt at it. So far all I've got is how to write my name and some of my friends' names and maybe a few words.

-cuddles the japanese language-

Phia the Pirate: which I think means that link is a slut
Phia the Pirate: because, you know, he keeps taking it in the face
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 04:10:50 PM »

It's horribly hard. Unless you enjoy learning a new language in general, you'd be pretty crazy to just do it to read japanese comics and understand japanese cartoons and videogames.

So true, they translate half the stuff anyway.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 04:47:12 PM »

I am  interested in learning Japanese too. I plan on taking it in college... actually i am kind of interested in a few languages.
Latin, Italian, German, Spanish and Japanese.
Will i learn any of them?
i will say probably not. I know bits and pieces of spanish. I also know a couple words in italian, german, latin and japanese.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 08:37:23 AM »

Actually I'm finding it quite easy to learn cause I've worked out lesson plans and such. I also have a bit of a nack for languages if I actually take the time which I am.

So there are others here that want to learn hhmm.... If you guys are serious and interested, I can throw together a one page deal here on the server with some learning materials, methods, and links if you want to get started.

The way I'm doing it is I'm learning grammar first (actually I got that down I think) and doing kanji and kana at the same time. I'm doing 10-20 of each per day and making flash cards (using index cards) as I go along. Every night I work with them and I don't quit until I got it down. I think it's pretty important to have an understanding of grammar before getting into anything else. Once you know how words go together you just gotta learn the words Wink

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 08:48:12 AM »

That might not be a bad idea.  Even i could find enough time to look at a lesson plan laid out on the site.  That and it would be nice to work at my own pace so I don't hold anyone else back.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 11:20:27 AM »

Seems kind of odd to learn how to get words to work without knowing any wordds to form proper sentances with.
But this is coming from the kid who hates english and didn't do so great learning spanish.

So if you already have a plan all set up i would definately be interested.

Hmm were the hell is Dan? He would get in on this too (if he has time). I'll try and get ahold of him...

danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 05:31:05 PM »

japanese is fun to learn and i do plan on taking it in college one of my friends want to go to okinawa and study martial arts after college(i dont think it will actually happen) and i mihgt go with him for a while, whatever happens i do want to take a vacation there for at least a week becasue its so massively interesting.
i've learned the kanas and basic sentence structure fairly easily, but theres just so many kanjis and the verb tenses are difficult to understand.
good luck to anyone here who wants to learn japanese

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 06:19:56 PM »

Ok, I'll put that stuff together tonight. The way I'm setting this up is so anyone interested can work at their own pace and work on their own.

If you want to study with others and drill each other after that post here Smiley

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 11:17:21 PM »

Ok guys, I hope my explaination makes sense. If nothing else you'll find the downloads and links helpful.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/japlanguage/

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length