RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:14:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Scanners 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Scanners  (Read 3278 times)
Beardcore84
that TMNT guy
Donor

Stats
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »

What do you guys use for scanners? I would love to start contributing images, but my scanner takes 5 minutes per scan. Is there an affordable scanner worth a damn? Thanks!

Running out of games to buy.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »

I have a HP PSC 950 that I love. It takes a few seconds per scan and does a fairly high quality scan. Plus, it's a hand me down, so it was free for me.
However, you can pick one up at a garage sale for under $10. Just make sure that it's USB, it makes things a lot easier. If you do buy a used one, make sure the glass is free of scratches and chips. If you don't feel like scouring garage sales, try posting a wanted ad on Craigslist for one. Someone switching to an all-in-one unit will practically give away an old scanner taking up space.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »

The CanoScan scanner is really good. They have different models, but we have the cheapest one, which cost brand new like $64.99. You can get 'em used for super cheap!  Smiley

Tell me about your variants...
Tan
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:50:02 PM »

Here's a review I did for a scanner last year. Great machine and can be had for $80-100.

http://www.rfgeneration.c...A-Scanner-Lightly-396.php

Smiley

EDIT: I'll also mention that I've m!de nearly 3,000 scans since I got it. Everything from photos, games, books, CDs and more. Still works as good as the day I bought it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:53:46 PM by Tan » Logged
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:19:26 PM »

I use a  Dell V305 Printer/Scanner/Copier

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 04:48:56 AM »

I think I should get a scanner...otherwise I can't contribute any images Sad
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 05:26:29 AM »

I use a Epson Stylus CX3900

Kinda good if you're slack, you have fully auto mode that'll crop it and everything for you.
I wouldn't recommend doing so though, as it normally crops a little too much around the edges, I ended up re-scanning everything manually later down the track.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 05:46:08 AM »

I use a Epson Stylus CX3900

Kinda good if you're slack, you have fully auto mode that'll crop it and everything for you.
I wouldn't recommend doing so though, as it normally crops a little too much around the edges, I ended up re-scanning everything manually later down the track.
Ok, thanks. Smiley

But just to clear things up: you're only allowed to upload images you scanned yourself, right  Huh
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:18:23 AM »

Correct. But, I think there are exceptions to this rule in the case of NWC 1990 cart and such where very few are known to exist. I suppose if you ask the person who's scan it is, then credit them, the Admin's might let you. But that would be a VERY rare case indeed.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »

Correct. But, I think there are exceptions to this rule in the case of NWC 1990 cart and such where very few are known to exist. I suppose if you ask the person who's scan it is, then credit them, the Admin's might let you. But that would be a VERY rare case indeed.
Ah, but that's not what I was thinking of.
I was thinking if it's ok to take images from other websites, but I have the feeling that's not allowed if they're called "scans" Wink
Tan
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 12:17:37 PM »

Ah, but that's not what I was thinking of.
I was thinking if it's ok to take images from other websites, but I have the feeling that's not allowed if they're called "scans" Wink

"Take special note however that we only accept original non-copyrighted images and scans. That means we do not accept scans and pictures from other websites and if a member's submitted images are found to be stolen, their future contributions will be suspect and subject to close scrutiny ever after. We do not wish to become embroiled in legal battles or forum wars because of stolen images taken from another websites nor do we condone this practice."

http://www.rfgeneration.c....php?action=policies;id=4

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 04:42:47 AM »

Ok, thanks.

Won't be adding images for a while then, though Sad

Lol @ "Forum Wars"  Grin
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:04:48 AM »

Ok, thanks.

Won't be adding images for a while then, though Sad

Lol @ "Forum Wars"  Grin

Darn.... WE NEEDZ THOSEZ IMAGESZ!!  Cheesy

XD, lulz...

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 08:56:59 AM »

If you have a good quality digital camera you can use that to submit pictures.  Make sure you have it on a setting for close up objects.

Tan
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 10:14:49 AM »

If you have a good quality digital camera you can use that to submit pictures.  Make sure you have it on a setting for close up objects.

I'll just mention that although we do, we very much prefer scans. Pics are good in jam, like when you need to prove hardware or it's a really rare game. Otherwise they'll be replaced as soon as we can find scans. Tongue

A good pic will never be a permanent substitute for a good scan, especially considering the way a scan can be better cropped and detailed enough in most cases to even read the print on the labels and covers.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length