RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:55:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | more suggestions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: more suggestions  (Read 1217 times)
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« on: August 29, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »

You know the drill, you can totally ignore these if you want, these are just suggestions for things I think would be nifty to have eventually.

Goal tracking : Allow users to set a custom goal, and track progress towards it manually. This would be pretty straightforward, a title string, longer string for a "comment" for the goal, and then a percentage bar that would take a maximum number, and a current number.

This way would hopefully not be very complicated, but making it public in your collection would make it cool to share.

Example goal:
Collect All Games in the  Smash Brothers Series (US Releases)
1 / 3 : 33% complete

Next suggestion!
The random game from a folder feature is awesome. It would be even cooler if you could do a random game from search results.

Next suggestion! (This ties into the previous)
New search options.
-Search from a folder. Sometimes I want to find a game in my wishlist / collection / whatever.
-Search for things like "cooperative games", "4 player games", "Requires Special Controller"

I'm sure I'll have more suggestions later.

And I'm not demanding these, and it's fine if you guys never add them, but it never hurts to ask.
Tan
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »

-Search from a folder. Sometimes I want to find a game in my wishlist / collection / whatever.

When viewing your own collection, the search tab above your name does exactly that.  Smiley
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 11:10:35 AM »

I can't speak for Eddie, but percent complete is difficult when your database is not necessarily complete, or things like homebrew exist. While you might have all the games in the database, that doesn't necessarily mean that you have them all when you the console is not fleshed out. I am not saying that it could not be done, but there are varying definitions of completion and finding the right definition of completion for everyone might be an impossible task.

Hello World.
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 01:08:54 PM »

If I read it correctly, he was suggesting having the user enter the percent complete manually, not having the database calculate it. 

The searching from a certain folder is already possible.  Searching for game-specific fields like number of players and gametype and such gets tricky since there are no corresponding fields for hardware and the search is used for both software and hardware.

I understand where a random game from a collection would come in handy if you wanted to select a game to play.  Not exactly sure how a random game from a search would be used.

Some of these are decent suggestions and might find there way into the next set of upgrades for the collection script.  I'm currently working on a project dealing with collections that I hope to have working by the time I head back to school in a month, so any other additions will have to be made after that.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length