RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:07:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Sega Saturn question 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Sega Saturn question  (Read 7816 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« on: September 02, 2008, 06:23:33 PM »

I'm thinking of buying a Saturn on eBay but have a little question:

Does the Saturn need an accessory for saving games (memory card, VMU, ...) or not?

Because I'm looking at a Saturn lot right now which doesn't has a saving device included. (Only console, cables, controller & games)
ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »

No, but I highly recommend you do get one, since the Saturn's internal memory is pretty scant.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=ApolloBoy[/img]
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:30:13 PM »

No, but I highly recommend you do get one, since the Saturn's internal memory is pretty scant.
Ah, but it's not really needed for initial play?

All I'm concerned about is that I'd get the system and would not be able to save at all. If I can save a game or two, it's already enough for starters.
Sladey
N-Gage
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »

Be prepared to pay alot for the memory cards, especially the official ones
ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 06:52:49 PM »

Ah, but it's not really needed for initial play?
No, not really.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=ApolloBoy[/img]
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »

No, not really.
Thanks! Smiley

That means I can buy the lot (but will get a memory card later)
Beardcore84
that TMNT guy
Donor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »

You will be able to save. I suggest when you get it, look at the battery inside, its in a compartment in the back, and go buy a new one. Because if the one in the console is already dead, you will save, and then next time you boot up, it will be gone. If you replace it, it will last for a while, at least until you get a RAM cart.

Running out of games to buy.
northern_gooner
Memorex VIS
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 05:13:30 PM »

When you get the ram cart, try to get one of the 4 in 1 types as this also acts as a converter for playing non Pal games

My Sega collection, needs & trades :
http://www.freewebs.com/northern-gooner/
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 06:02:56 PM »

And don't pay the over expensive ebay prices either for the 4 in 1's. I haven't looked in awhile, if they're over $25 you're paying too much. Buy one from the manufacturer @ http://www.hkems.com/ and be aware sometimes they come dead in the box. Angry There is a fix for them online if they don't work with certain 4M games too. For the best quality, buy a Sega brand.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:04:29 PM by Funk_Buddy » Logged

Slowly building an ammo fort.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »

Personally I wouldn't recommend a 4 in 1 cart. They are pretty cheaply done and somewhat stretch the cart port. Also they are normally rubbish and are not proper backup devices. You have to copy your save to and from them. A real memory cart, you can actually save and load off of. If you want a cheap solution for playing imported games though, I guess there is little other choice.

The system memory will be fine for a lot of games, if you are a sim or RPG fanatic however you may need the extra memory.

If you don't mind having an official pink backup cart, I'm pretty sure I am still selling a Tamagotchi Pack, that comes complete with it's Tamagotchi Memory Cartridge over at Game Gavel. laugh
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 07:58:02 PM by Cobra » Logged

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 04:26:55 AM »

And don't pay the over expensive ebay prices either for the 4 in 1's. I haven't looked in awhile, if they're over $25 you're paying too much. Buy one from the manufacturer @ http://www.hkems.com/ and be aware sometimes they come dead in the box. Angry There is a fix for them online if they don't work with certain 4M games too. For the best quality, buy a Sega brand.
I'll try finding a Sega brand one. If that doesn't work I'll probably look for a non-Sega regular memory card. I don't expect myself to start playing import games anywhere soon Smiley
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:09:48 PM »

I got an Action Replay 4M years ago, and haven't looked back. It allows playing the ram expansion games, import games, saving games, and offers some cheats, as well.

The unfortunate part of the saving is you can't save directly to this cart from within a game, you have to boot to the front end UI and copy the save.

Start with one of these, otherwise you'll probably end up getting one, and having an extra cart you don't need. I have an old "ST-KEY" (only allows playing import games) sitting around that got replaced by this 5 or 6 years ago.

A cart like this will let you play almost all imports. One of the few it does not let you play is Panzer Dragoon Azel (the Japanese release of Panzer Dragoon Saga).

Don't cut yourself short on imports, the Saturn's Japanese lineup is really impressive compared to any other region.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »

The unfortunate part of the saving is you can't save directly to this cart from within a game, you have to boot to the front end UI and copy the save.
Can you do that without modding the console or something like that Huh
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »

I'm not sure what the question is. Both of my Saturns are unmodded and work fine with my 4M cart.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 08:26:33 PM »

I got a Saturn modded, as it allowed me to play any games, and use real memory carts & ram carts. For example, King of Fighters '95 was another game the 4 in 1 cart does not work for.
Plus when you have over 200 games, having to make sure the save for the game you want to play is 1st copied over from the cart to the system is such a pain.

That is the one thing I really don't understand about the 4 in 1 cart, why they couldn't make it a real memory cart you can actually save to.

Money wise, the 4 in 1 cart is your best option, sure they may be cheaply made, but they are also cheap to buy at least. You could mod your system, but that is far from cheap. Sometimes though, already modded systems do pop up on eBay.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length