RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:10:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | how do I easily compare folders for duplicates? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: how do I easily compare folders for duplicates?  (Read 1730 times)
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« on: October 03, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »

I'm using multiple folders for my wishlist, and even with one folder, when I get a new game I sometimes forget to remove it from the wishlist. Is there a button I can press somewhere that will list every item for me that is listed in multiple folders? Obviously this will trigger for-trade multiples, but that will let me make sure I have the right amount marked for trade.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »

I don't think there is a "one-click" way to do that. I guess you'd just have to go and check in your wishlist whether a game is in or not.

Now that I think about it, it would be a nice little tool to have at the Collection Tools page. Smiley
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »

There is no easy button to just find duplicates.  There are a few other tools that can help you eliminate them though.

Before adding a game, you can use the search page and select all folders to search and see if the game is currently in any of your folders.

After you added a game, if you're unsure if it's in any other folders, find the game entry on the edit page and click the "edit" link.  It should show you any other folders that game is in.

There is also a setting in your user profile to show duplicates.  This setting determines whether or not duplicates are counted when calculating folder totals.  You can toggle this option off and on and check your all folder totals in your profile to see how many games are duplicated.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 12:56:40 AM by St0rmTK421 » Logged

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:22:41 AM »

Thanks, but all three of those are a big hassle.
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 11:56:10 PM »

Not if you are careful and avoid adding duplicates in the first place Smiley

I don't think an find duplicates tool would be the best way to deal with this problem.  The best way would be to add an option to remove games from wishlists when adding new games.  This would make more sense and would prevent the problem from occuring in the first place.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Chainclaw
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 02:23:37 AM »

I think that, and whenever you are on the screen that has you input the # of games / manuals / boxes to add, have it somehow list that the game already exists in folders somewhere?

I'm maintaining 3 wishlists because there is no "priority" system for the existing wishlist, but I keep adding games to multiple wishlists
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 09:57:02 AM »

I don't think an find duplicates tool would be the best way to deal with this problem.  The best way would be to add an option to remove games from wishlists when adding new games.  This would make more sense and would prevent the problem from occuring in the first place.
An even better idea. Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length