RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:15:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Video Game Pet Peeves 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print
Author Topic: Video Game Pet Peeves  (Read 21849 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »

Graphic whores. PC gamers usually come to mind but I hear console gamers as well talk about how some game is great simply because it looks so real. Don't get me wrong I like good looking games but I just never felt graphics are what makes a game great, I always felt graphics simply complement a game not make the game.

Even though I am a hardcore PC gamer, I will completely agree with you.  Although the many of my PC gamer friends have moved on from that sort of childish behavior (oh course the game looks better, you have a $500 VC in it!!), you will occasionally get some dork that will go on-and-on about their high FPS with 16xAA...

As odd as it sounds, I haven't been asked to preorder anything from GS in a couple years.  Granted, I only go in three or four times a year, but it just doesn't happen aymore.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2012, 07:24:47 PM »

Thanks bombatomba for you understanding. I'm pretty light when it comes to PC gaming and my setup is a little outdated but I loved to hear your opinion from a hardcore PC gamer. I honestly grew up on PC gaming but the crazy prices to keep a PC up to date and the lackluster release of PC games drew me away quite a bit. Too many people illegally download PC games nowadays and ruined the PC market.

As far as the trying to force me to get CoD thing goes I really meant to say my friends and CO-Workers are trying to force me to buy it not retail stores. Still my friends annoy me at times because they don't know what a good game is like IMO. But I honestly don't disagree with them because if thats what floats their boat and makes them happy then all power to them. I don't hate on others because they like something, I just don't like when they try to shove something I don't care about down my throat.   
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »

Game series that are so embarrassed of themselves they start using cliché subtitles instead of numbering the games as they should.

There are so many examples of this, it seems like it's becoming the norm. Especially as publishers bet all their money on yearly sequels and rarely on new IP. It really seems like they're ashamed how they're rehashing the same tired game year after year that they don't dare number them. Just switch the settings and characters around, draw a random word from the magic-cliché-subtitle-words-basket and presto! Game finished.

The average series nowadays usually looks like this:

Blahblah
Blahblah 2
Blahblah 3: Rebirth
Blahblah: Redemption
Blahblah: Evolution
Blahblah 4: The Awakening
Redemption 2: Future
Blahblah: A New Era
The Blahblah

In 10 years time how is anyone ever going to remember in which order these games were released? Especially as they're mostly released at a rate of one game a year, which means the majority of them will be on the same console and therefor look almost identical.

What's wrong with classic numbering? I don't mind that Final Fantasy 13 is called Final Fantasy 13 (granted, using roman numbering). Atleast I know Final Fantasy 12 came out earlier and Final Fantasy 6 a lot earlier. Where as nonsense words like "redemption" say absolutely nothing. Also, even if I couldn't count, I'd probably see from the graphics or the system name on the box that 9 or 10 is a much older game than 13. On the other hand modern sequels are pushed out so fast, they're all on the same system and all look alike.

Then there's the numbering the subtitles/sub series as if they're whole new series. Or mixing numbered and non-numbered sequels up, to keep the numbering down to small single digits. Or better yet using the original title again as if the previous 6 games in the series don't exist. Movie series do this, too.

Even though I don't play a lot of sports games, I admire how they aren't afraid to be consistent and just number the damn sequels. I know it's because they want to indicate what year they were relevant in, but that effectively works as a proper numbering scheme, which is great.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:12:59 PM by Sirgin » Logged
two_scoop_steve
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »

Game series that are so embarrassed of themselves they start using cliché subtitles instead of numbering the games as they should.

There are so many examples of this, it seems like it's becoming the norm. Especially as publishers bet all their money on yearly sequels and rarely on new IP. It really seems like they're ashamed how they're rehashing the same tired game year after year that they don't dare number them. Just switch the settings and characters around, draw a random word from the magic-cliché-subtitle-words-basket and presto! Game finished.

Blahblah
Blahblah 2
The Blahblah

In 10 years time how is anyone ever going to remember in which order these games were released? Especially as they're mostly released at a rate of one game a year, which means the majority of them will be on the same console and therefor look almost identical.

What's wrong with classic numbering? I don't mind that Final Fantasy 13 is called Final Fantasy 13 (granted, using roman numbering). Atleast I know Final Fantasy 12 came out earlier and Final Fantasy 6 a lot earlier. Where as nonsense words like "redemption" say absolutely nothing. Also, even if I couldn't count, I'd probably see from the graphics or the system name on the box that 9 or 10 is a much older game than 13. On the other hand modern sequels are pushed out so fast, they're all on the same system and all look alike.

Then there's the numbering the subtitles/sub series as if they're whole new series. Or mixing numbered and non-numbered sequels up, to keep the numbering down to small single digits. Or better yet using the original title again as if the previous 6 games in the series don't exist. Movie series do this, too.

Even though I don't play a lot of sports games, I admire how they aren't afraid to be consistent and just number the damn sequels. I know it's because they want to indicate what year they were relevant in, but that effectively works as a proper numbering scheme, which is great.

so true.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »

Blahblah
Blahblah 2
The Blahblah

Oh? Like this?

The Fast and the Furious (2001)
2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)
Fast & Furious (2009)
Fast Five (2011)
Fast & Furious 6 (2013)
Fast & Furious 7 (2015)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »

Yes, there are many examples to be found, both in movies and games. Why are you surprised?
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »

I like when they add a subtitle to something that already has a subtitle. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate made me laugh when I heard it.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »

Microsoft for the past 4 years trying to turn E3 into XBOXCABLEKINECTWARGARBLEWABGLESPNHULUERBLE
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »

EA can suck it. I download a demo and it wants me to agree to a shit load of things then make an account with some stupid ass thing called origin. I just want to play the demo you assholes. Thanks for reminding me why I never support you EA
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »

I hate people who think they are hardcore and only play CoD and other generic shooters. And then they have the balls to trash every other francise...these people are ruining the gaming industry.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »

Blahblah
Blahblah 2
The Blahblah

To be fair, I think this is mostly a marketing problem.  There are certain franchises like the Final Fantasy series that have the "Main game" and then the "spinoffs" like Crystal Chronicles and the DS titles like Revanant Wings.  I don't mind the naming structure they have adopted because they mix the numbered entries and the spin offs fairly well.  Imagine the same thing with Castlevania, Contra, Mega Man, or Street Fighter.  I think that if more companies numbered every single game in the franchise, it could end up being way worse than it is now.  What if instead of being called Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2, the new game was called Castlevania 37?

There needs to be a bit of a balance so the numbering doesn't get ridiculous.  I do see your point, though, and I do think that the subtitles aren't the most elegant way to address the problem.

It's also weird when a company numbers a game that hasn't EVER had numbers in the title like Nintendo did with Mario Kart 7.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »

in today's era of google and so many gaming websites on the internet i don't really think it's that much of a problem anymore. if anyone isn't sure what order to play games in they can look it up and find out pretty quickly for most series. the only time it becomes an issue is with a messed up series like final fantasy.

in most cases the subtitles on games have some relevance to the title, generic subtitles don't seem to be as common as they are in movies. i don't mind subtitles if it makes sense for the story or game, and in most cases i prefer them to just a number. a number is simpler but it's also less creative.
NewOrder79
Virtual Boy

Stats
« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »

I very much agree with the op Xbox live was fantastic when it first came out it was mainly filled with adults I think because in 2002 broadband will still expensive and there wasn't a need for it unless you were going to be doing a lot of gaming. Broadband wasn't really needed at the time for web surfing. It wasn't very often I ever heard a kid online. I also think it partly was a generational thing back in 2002 the 20 - 30 year olds online were born in the 70's to early 80's and they never grew up with the Internet like kids today do. I notice the kids of this era have a lack of social skills I thnk it has to do with growing up online. That would be cool if you could play with people your age online...
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »

^I am sick of having a kid who can't even drive a car or go to highschool yet, calling me an asshole....THERE NEEDS TO BE AGE BRACKETS ON LIVE, I DONT WANT TO PLAY WITH CHILDREN...I WANT TO PLAY WITH OTHER GROWNUPS....I want to play with people who dont think Titanic is just the size of an object.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:00:31 PM by Link41 » Logged

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »

I love this thread.  I haven't been back in a couple of months and reading the newer posts leaves me laughing.  Seriously, I know it's TMI, but a little pee came out.  Good thing I didn't go commando today.

I like when they add a subtitle to something that already has a subtitle. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate made me laugh when I heard it.

And that is why I hope the Japanese will never stop making games

EA can suck it. I download a demo and it wants me to agree to a shit load of things then make an account with some stupid ass thing called origin. I just want to play the demo you assholes. Thanks for reminding me why I never support you EA

MS does that with some games on Steam.  Very annoying.

^I am sick of having a kid who can't even drive a car or go to highschool yet, calling me an asshole....THERE NEEDS TO BE AGE BRACKETS ON LIVE, I DONT WANT TO PLAY WITH CHILDREN...I WANT TO PLAY WITH OTHER GROWNUPS....I want to play with people who dont Titanic is just the size of an object.

Age brackets, rofl.  If they did that I might pay for XB Gold, but then again I might not.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length