RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:52:59 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Video Game Pet Peeves 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Video Game Pet Peeves  (Read 21601 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »

the Entitlement Generation

Vote "Entitlement Generation" for next year's April Fools!

You're right though. I remember a while back there was a huge outcry by the PC gaming community because Call of Duty Modern Warfare (...2?) didn't include dedicated servers. Everyone was going to boycott the game. Then when the game came out, it was the #1 played game on Steam for like a month. Roll Eyes

Such a dark time.  That day I was embarrassed to be called a PC gamer.  I think I went around that time telling people I enjoyed Linux games for cripes sake.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2012, 11:22:53 AM »

Such a dark time.  That day I was embarrassed to be called a PC gamer.  I think I went around that time telling people I enjoyed Linux games for cripes sake.

To be honest there's hardly anything on PC nowadays that you can't play on consoles. Of course you get much, much better graphics (with an up to date rig) and mods for some games (Skyrim). But it's easy to see why PC gaming is in decline.
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »

How about how many people complain about the nickle and diming about DLC? If it's such a problem, then why still spend the $10 on something you don't feel is worth it?

Someone smack some sense into the Entitlement Generation, please. Complaining and boycotting is fine, but sending a mixed message won't get anything accomplished.

This.  Capcom will stop making these ridiculous costume DLC packs if people had the sense to stop buying them.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »

How about how many people complain about the nickle and diming about DLC? If it's such a problem, then why still spend the $10 on something you don't feel is worth it?

Someone smack some sense into the Entitlement Generation, please. Complaining and boycotting is fine, but sending a mixed message won't get anything accomplished.

This.  Capcom will stop making these ridiculous costume DLC packs if people had the sense to stop buying them.

Nothing's stopping you from NOT purchasing them, so why let that bother you?. Perhaps the energy could be put elsewhere, but people enjoy having customization options. It's also a simple cash grab that all companies involve themselves with.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »

That's exactly why I don't buy them.  I won't tell anyone how to spend their money, but I'd like to be able to switch costumes without shelling out even more money.  Oh well, playing with one or two costumes doesn't really bother me.

Except on Batman: Arkham City.  I want to play as the Batman from Batman Beyond. Sad
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »

To be honest there's hardly anything on PC nowadays that you can't play on consoles. Of course you get much, much better graphics (with an up to date rig) and mods for some games (Skyrim). But it's easy to see why PC gaming is in decline.

If you look at it primarily from a NPD point of view then yes, PC gaming is in decline.  However, I prefer to think of PC gaming not as a platform in decline, but as a platform in a intermittent state of evolution (in regards to gaming) with short periods of identity struggle (primarily fueled by "graphics whores").  Sure, it has the multiplatform games that are on both the 360 and PS3, but it also has quite a bit of content that makes it completely unique.  Games such as the X series, the Stalker games, Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun (the new Kickstarter effort) are just a few drops in the proverbial bucket of great content (most of which doesn't require an up to date rig).

To me this is a minor point of contention, but one I feel the need to point out.  I hate for people to walk around with opinions based on bad or false data.  Granted, this is all completely irrelevant if you need games that have the best and most up to date graphics.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »

If you look at it primarily from a NPD point of view then yes, PC gaming is in decline.  However, I prefer to think of PC gaming not as a platform in decline, but as a platform in a intermittent state of evolution (in regards to gaming) with short periods of identity struggle (primarily fueled by "graphics whores").  Sure, it has the multiplatform games that are on both the 360 and PS3, but it also has quite a bit of content that makes it completely unique.  Games such as the X series, the Stalker games, Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun (the new Kickstarter effort) are just a few drops in the proverbial bucket of great content (most of which doesn't require an up to date rig).

To me this is a minor point of contention, but one I feel the need to point out.  I hate for people to walk around with opinions based on bad or false data.  Granted, this is all completely irrelevant if you need games that have the best and most up to date graphics.

Oh, totally. Don't get me wrong. I'm not against the PC at all, in fact I'm one of the few here that regularly plays on PC. Despite my old rig, I keep up to date with PC gaming and hardware, too (I have a self built PC).
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2012, 02:45:15 AM »

Quantic Dreams

Omikron: The Nomad Soul was good though.

Fahrenheit was great!

Easily one of the worst games ever made. Seriously.
Not just because I hate but as it's really just a horribly made game made by a mronic self indulgent douchebag.

@Shadow my best friend works at R* NYC.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:48:57 AM by Ryudo » Logged
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »

Games such as the X series, the Stalker games, Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun (the new Kickstarter effort) are just a few drops in the proverbial bucket of great content (most of which doesn't require an up to date rig).

don't forget most RTS (Age of Empires series, Starcraft 1/2), turn based games (Civilization), and MMOs (WoW, Rift). also FPS games in general control better on pc, even if they're essentially the same as their console versions.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »

Games such as the X series, the Stalker games, Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun (the new Kickstarter effort) are just a few drops in the proverbial bucket of great content (most of which doesn't require an up to date rig).

don't forget most RTS (Age of Empires series, Starcraft 1/2), turn based games (Civilization), and MMOs (WoW, Rift). also FPS games in general control better on pc, even if they're essentially the same as their console versions.

That is true. I forgot about RTS games! (Even though there don't seem to be that many of them anymore lately, aside from Stracraft II) RTS games are great, and absolutely need the mouse & keyboard. The fast RTS games atleast. FPS games as well. I occasionally play Quake Live, which would be impossible to play without a mouse. Smiley
Kevincal
Donor
United States
Awards: RFG Promoter

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »

I dont like when people call the NES "NEZZ" it just sounds ridiculous. same geos for SNEZZ.. Dont like when people call the Jaguar JAGOOAR. I dont like how everyone gushes over zelda games, i think they are ok but really have never been my favorite games, I think they are too difficult and long and confusing and get annoying. For instance I much prefer Mario 64 to Ocarina.. I dont like when I see people treat gaming stuff poorly, like in videos if they manhandle the system roughly like james nintendo nerd etc. i hate games with 1 hit deaths, so stupid. i hate fighting games with insanely cheap ai. i mean mortal kombats are pretty fun but the insane difficult cheap ai kinda ruins it for me. i hate overly difficult games in general. besides the zelda games, thats why i think nintendo has been so popular cus their games usually arent too hard and are beatable even by children. i hate when people make youtube videos about classic games or systems they know little to nothing about but talk like they know everything... for instance giving reviews on a system they know little about.

Cherish the most important things in life, your health & family.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »

Dont like when people call the Jaguar JAGOOAR.

Well I say good sir it appears as if you lack a grasp of proper and true English. Mayhaps you need to be reacquainted with the differences in accent and dialect and realize that British English is in fact the only true form of English. All other forms are asinine, childish, and frankly quite absurd, spoken in drivel by undereducated and arrogant barbarians.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Kevincal
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »

i take it your are joking, but just incase, atari and jaguar are american and the Jaguar animal is native to the americas. so JAGWAR IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jag OO ar just sounds stupid. there is no such thing as proper english anymore seeing as everyone in the world speak it just about in all different ways. never said jagooar wasnt proper it just sounds stupid.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:26:23 PM by Kevincal » Logged

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »

I pronounce it as "Jag you ah" or sometimes "Jag you arr".
Kevincal
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »

Ya I guess you Brits would pronounce it like that i also notice you brits are always calling the NES and SNES NEZZ AND SNEZZ lol i have a lot of pet peeves related to brits Wink

but seeing as atari is from california and everyone involved has always called it JAGWAR its safe to say thats the proper way to call the Jaguar SYSTEM. Wink JAGWAR, california or usa pronunciation Wink

JAG WAHR. jag w are
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:30:34 PM by Kevincal » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length