RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:42:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Board Game Night! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print
Author Topic: Board Game Night!  (Read 42588 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »

I watched a video of the game and really like the mechanics. I ordered it from Amazon today. Surprisingly, a cheap title. Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2015, 12:02:48 AM »

I missed out on Fiasco last night due to work. I have/had no interest in this game, until Crabby and the other guys in my gaming group played last night. Crabby told me about how the game went down, and I am still on the fence, but a little more interested than I was before. Just not sure how I feel about a story telling game.

Next Thursday shall be: Small World and Munckin Deluxe. I love my tabletop night.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »

A group of 6 of us played Samurai Spirit last night more the first time. We are all pretty decent board gamers and strategists when it comes to coop games, so we decided to play on "Normal" instead of setting up for "Easy." Before playing, I hooked up my laptop to our TV and we all watched a tutorial. I watched it a few times prior and also watched a series of playthroughs for the game. The mechanics of the game weren't all that difficult, but understanding the strategy surrounding the game is pretty complex. Like many coop games, there are multiple ways to fail, but there is only one condition that has to be met to win (save one farm and one group of villagers). The game consists of three rounds and gets progressively harder as you lose more and more barriers/farms to invaders and villagers when you don't meet all of your defense requirements.

Needless to say, we made it to the third round last night, but still had a little less than a half a stack of invader cards remaining before we failed. We lost a good deal of barriers (6) in the first round and had whittles down to two farms and an additional barrier (villager bonus) before the start of the third round. As a result of trying to keep our barriers and farms alive, we lost a samurai and thus, lost the game. Nevertheless, we all enjoyed the game and are really looking forward to playing again after getting our feet wet.

Two takeaways: filling your defense conditions early each round and keeping barriers/farms up in the first two rounds is key. I think that we were so worried about keeping our samurai alive, that we did not do enough to protect our defenses. This is definitely a game of give and take at the right time, but there is also quite a bit of luck (in the draw of the cards) involved. Another thing we will do is add the 7th samurai and just ghost play it. Since it's a coop game anyway and we make all decisions together, it can't hurt to play the game as it is suppose to be played. It also helps to have all of the special abilities of each samurai available.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2015, 03:21:01 PM »

Sounds like you made a good go out of it. Crabby and I enjoyed it as well but unfortunately, two out of four in our regular group, have expressed a firm lack of desire to play this one again. They didn't like the strategy, which as you said, is complex.

We played Small World (which every one of us loved) and Munchkin Deluxe. Both games were well received, and I will be acquiring a copy of Small World from Crabby, when he is a vendor at our first ever Pop Culture Convention, dubbed Northern Fan Con.

Our group is actually sitting down this Thursday to play Settlers of Catan. Two of our group (myself included) have never played Catan before. We would like a crash course in the game, as there is going to be a local tourney set up, during FanCon.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2015, 04:21:24 PM »

I've owned Catan for a year and a half. Still in the wrapper. Love to play it.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »

Catan is a great game.  Open it.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »

I also have Betrayal at House on the Hill and it is also one of our favorites. We've had some really good games and some poorer ones and this seems to basically be based on the strength of the haunting. Pretty cool game and plays like 2 separate games. I'm really glad they went back and did another run of this game, because copies were selling for around $120 at one time.

Betrayal is another great game.  Great story and it changes every time.  You never know who the betrayer is.

SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2015, 01:12:57 PM »

Catan is a great game.  Open it.

Yeah, I know it's a great game, but we only have people over for board games about once a month. My buying of games (like video games) overextends my playing of them. Plus, people get a little annoyed when you play new games all the time and would like to replay others, since you have to spend a good deal of time going over and figuring out the rules. I will certainly get around to playing it tough. My Small World and Carcassonne are also still sealed.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2015, 04:01:10 PM »

Sorry, our conversation reminded me of this and I had to post it:

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »

That sucks about only getting together to Tabletop once a month. So far, our small group of 4, are very enthusiastic about our Thursday game night. Its really nice for me, cause I am single and live alone, so I look forward to my one game night a week. Couldn't ask for a better group really. It seems like every week, one of us will say at the end of the night: "I really like these Tabletop nights!"

So far we have played something new every time. This serves another purpose though. Crabby is doing market research.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2015, 10:58:20 PM »

Yeah, it is what it is. My kids are pretty active in sports, friends are in bands or have other commitments, and my family lives out of town and visits often. No time during the week to tabletop, so have to make the best of it. I'd love to play more of course and I'm happy my wife really digs it. Looking forward to playing with Bil, Floyd, Duke, and fingers crossed, Crabby in October.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2015, 05:52:02 AM »

So I enjoyed Catan. I would like to play more to develop a decent strategy, cause one game did not prepare me for the tournament I entered a couple weeks back.

Last week we played Lords of Waterdeep. I really enjoyed this game (maybe not quite as much as Crabby; he didn't finish dead last) and I am glad I purchased that one on a whim. One thing I feel I need to start doing in my gaming, is be more competitive. I am completely non-competitive by nature, but unfortunately, that causes me to lose at a lot of games and forces my interest elsewhere. That is why I love the D&D adventure system games. Because they focus more on co-operative play.

This past Thursday we did Arkham Horror. I liked this game, but it also left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Generally, when I sit down to a tabletop game, I am expecting an hour to 3 hours max to finish. With a new group that had never played this game before, it took us 5 hours to get to a midway point in the game. I understand that new games have a learning curve adjustment when you first play, but 5 hours!?!  I was actually bored and ready to play something else at the 3 hour mark. It just never felt like this game took off. It seemed like we spent 5 hours trying to figure out what makes this game so appealing.

I will give Arkham Horror another chance, at a later date, when I have 8 hrs to spare to play a round. In the meantime, give me ANY of the D&D adventure board games, Small World, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, or even Tokaido, instead. I wish I could play one of those games every week.

Sounds like this week will be: Conquest of Nerath, which from all reviews I have read, is a D&D skinned version of Axis & Allies.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »

So I enjoyed Catan. I would like to play more to develop a decent strategy, cause one game did not prepare me for the tournament I entered a couple weeks back.

Last week we played Lords of Waterdeep. I really enjoyed this game (maybe not quite as much as Crabby; he didn't finish dead last) and I am glad I purchased that one on a whim. One thing I feel I need to start doing in my gaming, is be more competitive. I am completely non-competitive by nature, but unfortunately, that causes me to lose at a lot of games and forces my interest elsewhere. That is why I love the D&D adventure system games. Because they focus more on co-operative play.

This past Thursday we did Arkham Horror. I liked this game, but it also left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Generally, when I sit down to a tabletop game, I am expecting an hour to 3 hours max to finish. With a new group that had never played this game before, it took us 5 hours to get to a midway point in the game. I understand that new games have a learning curve adjustment when you first play, but 5 hours!?!  I was actually bored and ready to play something else at the 3 hour mark. It just never felt like this game took off. It seemed like we spent 5 hours trying to figure out what makes this game so appealing.

I will give Arkham Horror another chance, at a later date, when I have 8 hrs to spare to play a round. In the meantime, give me ANY of the D&D adventure board games, Small World, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, or even Tokaido, instead. I wish I could play one of those games every week.

Sounds like this week will be: Conquest of Nerath, which from all reviews I have read, is a D&D skinned version of Axis & Allies.

Arkham Horror and Waterdeep are both great games.

SMS set complete!
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2015, 05:59:27 PM »

Lately, it's either X-Wing Miniatures or Heroclix.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2015, 07:29:19 PM »

Played Legends of Andor last night with a group of friends. Really fun, it also had a really nice tutorial that helps you learn the game a lot faster

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length