RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:15:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | New King of Fighters Game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New King of Fighters Game  (Read 6063 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: June 15, 2004, 06:05:35 AM »

The Evil Leon just showed me a screenshot of the upcoming PS2 KOF game in the newest Game Informer.  Needless to say, I wanted to punch somebody's lights out.  It's in 3D.  Who the hell had that bright idea?  Somebody needs to fire them.

That's 3D, folks.  In a KOF game.  Blasphemy.

I'll go try to find images in a minute.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 06:14:27 AM »

YUCK!

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 06:21:19 AM »

I don't like the looks of that at all. But maybe we're wrong and it'll be an awesome game. (although it'll probably never feel like a real king of fighters game)
2D-Forever
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 06:31:45 AM »

I'll say this for Ducks:   Its Stupid.

I'll say this for myself: Its really stupid.

I want high resolution sprites that look awesome, not polygonal crap.  This is as irritating as Mai being censored in KOF '00-01.

-God gave us memories so we could languish in dispair.
-Once delayed, Twice dismayed.  SNK
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 09:21:13 AM »

Yes.  It's yet another example of developers taking what works so well in two dimensions and putting it into three where it doesn't belong.  I can deal with 3D backgrounds, and in some fighters, they can be cool.  However, take the sprites out of KOF, and it's not KOF anymore.  It'd be like making Mario a used car salesman instead of a plumber.  It just kills the personality, the tradition, the character that makes the series what it is.  They may as well add Heiachi and Jin as secret characters, and have cute little FMV endings for each character.  Oh, hell....  let's just re-make Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero with the cast of Samura Shodown!  Destroy the last  few good 2D series out there, why don't ya?

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 10:56:41 AM »

Oh come on. Don't be so pessimistic. A lot of games made the chance from 2d to 3d and were still good and had the same personality. Mario comes to mind, or rayman. I say you shouldn't judge the game untill you've played it.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 11:02:13 AM »

Don't judge a game by its dimensions.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 11:31:32 AM »

A lot of games made the chance from 2d to 3d and were still good and had the same personality. Mario comes to mind, or rayman.

Yeah, and Contra and Castlevania.

I'll play it, but I still think it takes away a lot of what KOF was about.  I'm not really sure who is developing this, but we all know it isn't the SNK of yore, even if it has SNK's name slapped on the packaging.  I don't think the old SNK would have ever done this....  and that's something else to remember.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 12:05:44 PM »

the characters and backgrounds dont seem as good as they could be. For a fighter im putin my money towards MK: Deception
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 12:06:27 PM by IZRET101 » Logged

deadducks
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 12:21:39 PM »

That is just like snk. they will give us a 3d king of fighters that nobody wants and the the high res 2d king of fighters every one is asking for

2D Forever
IceBladeX
Virtual Boy

Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2004, 08:51:54 PM »

What about Samurai Showdown 64? Did that thing ever even come out?

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
deadducks
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 07:50:01 PM »

no I don't think so. the hyper 64 did not have many games come out on it

2D Forever
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 10:01:14 PM »

MK DECEPTION

deadducks
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 07:20:18 AM »

looks like I was wrong Samurai Showdown 64 was released back in 97:-[. This page has a release date list http://www.geocities.com/...e_tea_monger/hyper64.html

2D Forever
Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 11:17:06 AM »

I don't really understand why anybody cares, especially Nep. I've never even seen him play KOF. Okay, well there was this one time he did a few years ago and I kicked his ass repeatedly. But we honestly don't know how good this game will be. It might be awesome like Tekken. It might suck like Street Fighter EX +45 Squared^6 %100 - 92 /5.

Anyway, all of the ranting just proves one thing. The only reason people like KOF is because it is 2D. It's a product manufactured specifically for 2D fanboys. Aside from the awesome sprite animations (and they are awesome), there really isn't much there. MvC2 is FAR, FAR, FAR more playable. If you want to be upset about something, be upset about EA buying the rights to the Marvel characters. Face the truth about KOF. It was worn out years ago.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 11:20:42 AM by The_Evil_Leon » Logged

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length