RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:09:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 4 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 4  (Read 23114 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »

Episode 4 is live!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:59:50 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »

What a tease you are.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »

Not anymore Grin

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »

But I haven't even listened to the 3rd one yet! I normally listen when I cut the grass, but its all dead now so I may not be able to listen until September...

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »

You could always just push it around the yard for fun.

NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »

You have a really odd sense of fun.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »

You have a really odd sense of fun.

I wish I could say that is the first time someone has told me that.

understatement
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »

I think variants should be seen form each individual system/region like in your Shenmue 2 example to make a complete US X-box set you can’t count the Dreamcast version for a US X-box complete set. In other words different hardware/region = different game in my opinion.

As far as import Vs. release I think as long as the company that released the original game does something to show that they intended for the game to be released here in the US then it’s an official release. One of the most controversial games that fits this is SMS Sonic with the US UPC sticker. In my eyes you do not have a complete US Master System set unless you have a UPC sticker Sonic. I do think it’s funny though every time you take the US Sonic out of the case it turns into the EUR game.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 04:50:42 PM by understatement » Logged

RobotCowhand
Donor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »

Stuck in an office writing today, thank god for this!!
Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »

Stuck in an office writing today, thank god for this!!

We usually just go by Crabmaster and Duke.Togo, but I think we'll get used to it.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
RobotCowhand
Donor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »

My word. How long till you guys get a star on the ground in Silicon valley?
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 04:00:32 PM »

My word. How long till you guys get a star on the ground in Silicon valley?

Neither of us live close enough to spray paint one there.

@understatement: Interesting thought. Even though Sachen games aren't know to have been officially released in the US, there were clear intentions to do so. Would that make games like Huge Insect that were imported in some small numbers unlicensed US releases in your mind?

understatement
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »

@understatement: Interesting thought. Even though Sachen games aren't know to have been officially released in the US, there were clear intentions to do so. Would that make games like Huge Insect that were imported in some small numbers unlicensed US releases in your mind?

Hum, personally I consider pirate/bootleg type carts in a whole other league. Most of the time pirate/bootleg carts don’t have any indication where they were released such as PAL, NTSC-J, NTSC-U and so on.

Rereading my post I might need to clarify that as long as the company or someone with the company’s consent that released the game does something to the game/packaging to show that they intended for it to be released in another region I would consider that a release. Basically if someone tried to get there Japanese game released here and no publisher picked it up and then a store like EB/GS imported it and sold it it’s just an import. If a publisher did pick it up they would have to change something: NTSC-j to NTSC-U, the language in game or on the package, the shape of the cart, or the UPC just for a few examples. I don’t know of a single official game release where there was no change from it's foreign counter part.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 05:44:34 PM »

Hum, personally I consider pirate/bootleg type carts in a whole other league.

But games released from companies such as Sachen aren't pirates or bootlegs. They are completely original releases. Some Sachen games were published in the US by Color Dreams under the Bunch Games moniker, but Huge Insect was a direct importation of carts from Sachen themselves. I know some people refer to these games as "pirate originals," but I don't think including games from Sachen in that grouping as they weren't a pirate company at all.

I'm really just playing Devil's Advocate, but this is a very interesting topic in how games should be classified.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »

So I'm listening right now.

I want you to know that Episode 6 will be up tomorrow.

Episode 7 will be 2 weeks after. I lost my first 1.5 hours of gameplay footage so I'm behind. And this game could make or break me...

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length