RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:23:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Tragic News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Tragic News  (Read 26170 times)
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »

I've also been at a loss of words on what to say.  I definitely want to send out my condolences to his family and friends.  

I've known Mike through RFGen since I joined here almost a year ago.  It was his dedication and professionalism as well as his friendly character that motivated me to help out here, and I am grateful that he allowed me to be part of the team.  Thanks to Mike and the site & community that he founded, I have had many positive experiences in my collecting hobby and the gaming community.  These positive experiences are what really pulled me back into the collecting habit, and have led to some great memories in the past year.

I miss Mike's presence here, but I'm confident that he's in a peaceful place now.  Like others have said, the best thing to do is keep his dream alive and kicking, and I will gladly do my part in helping out.  

Rest in peace, Mike...

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »

Now that my computer is back in order…
I would like to start off by expressing my condolences to the Collins family. I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through in this time.

Even though I didn't know him as long as his grade school friends, I still considered Mike one of my best friends.  Mike and I met in high school, and became good friends during junior year, when the LAN party craze started. Once that began, Mike (and Dave and Eddie from this board) would be in my basement every third weekend, fragging away at whatever enemy stood in our way.  I also remember the mornings when everyone else had already given up on the night and went to sleep yet Mike and I would be swapping files as fast as the hub could go.  

But it wasn't just the gaming.  Mike also introduced me to the world of photography.  I doubt I will ever be as talented as he was (he just had the eye for photography).  I remember one night when I had just got my new camera and Mike and I were taking a pano of downtown from the hills overlooking Cincy. (Of course his turned out, mine didn't.)

After reading through this thread, it's good to know that RFGen will be taken care of and that the RFGen community is so supportive.  Eddie, if you need help with some of the scripting I should be able to help a little. (Give me some time to get used to Perl and I should be able to help a lot.)

The true reality of what happened hasn't yet hit home for me.  Living out of town for the past two and a half years has made visiting with the people in Cincy only a monthly occurrence.  The conscious mind knows, but the unconscious mind still doesn't believe.  As Dave mentioned earlier, we will still think of inviting Mike on whatever weekend plans we may have.  

Rest in peace, Mike.

-Jay

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2006, 02:11:02 PM »

Once again, I'd like to thank all of you for your posts.  It has been very comforting for us to read the kind things that you have said about Mike, and we appreciate all of your prayers.
-- Pat Collins

Geondp
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2006, 02:37:53 PM »

i to fist talked to him back on the old VGB days.. just now read this on DigitalPress.. and man sure does suck.. very sorry to be writing this, and reading about it..

/hug to his family and firends very sad

Fuck you asshole Ill fuck you in the butt lets get DIRTY!!-Geondp
ccrawford
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2006, 04:12:19 PM »

Hi.

I just joined this site today, and it is because of Mike. I am his cousin, and I was thinking about him so I did a google search to find the websites that he created, and helped create. Looking through this site, it screams Mike. So many of the little pictures for the user icons and the posts that he wrote on here...that's exactly his personality.  I spent a decent amount of time and got close to him on many different levels, this summer in particular. We talked a lot about web design, computers, video games, and our mutual love of film. I used to check the Video Game Bible often, and he told me that he no longer worked on it, I just could never remember the name of the new site when I was near a computer.  I do know from talking to him, however, that he loved this site and working on it and pretty much every thing about video games. (Almost any time we got together we'd play games, but he and my other cousin Eric would spend most of the time beating me {in the game} and making fun of me. Randomly enough the last game I played with him on Christmas was Pictionary on Yahoo. It was hilarious) It's really neat to hear how many of you never met him in person, but still got to see how great of a person he was.  Although I got a bit teary-eyed, I was very comforted to read everything that you all had to say about him. I'm glad that you are all going to keep this site up and running, and help out to sell his video games. The orpanage in Peru was another one of his loves (He told me that going to Peru changed his life), and he'd be honored to see the money from his games sent there. I don't know exactly where the rest of this post is going, I do know that I loved Mike very much, and am very grateful to know of and read about every one else who did too.

--Christy Crawford
jonlester
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2006, 10:59:17 AM »

I was away for a while and just found out today. Mike definitely made this a friendly community site from the beginning and my favorite gaming site by far. It's great that his collection will benefit the school in Peru he did the mission work at. I'm glad the other administrators will keep the site going.
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2006, 02:31:56 PM »

I met Mike a few time at Game Swap and he was a great person.

tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2006, 05:39:02 PM »

well, I thought I had posted in this topic, but I guess it was the topic in the staff forum (which the Collin's probably got the chance to read) but anyway, my condolences go out to everyone....his family, friends....

i feel terrible for your loss and i know that nothing i say can help........

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »

tholly -- where would I find the staff forum that you referred to?  I haven't read that.
Thanks,
Mrs. Collins

tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2006, 03:16:30 PM »

tholly -- where would I find the staff forum that you referred to?  I haven't read that.
Thanks,
Mrs. Collins

that forum is for people on the rfgen staff....im sure one of us would have no problem pulling the condolences out of it for you.......or, if your using mike's login, it would be the forum at the very bottom of the forum listings....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 03:19:21 PM by tholly » Logged

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2006, 04:17:37 PM »

Thanks,
Mrs. Collins

It is the forum third from the bottom. forum called Kingdom of Ends .
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 04:18:27 PM by tynstar » Logged

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2006, 06:28:43 PM »

I haven't had the chance to post to the boards in a few weeks due to some other things I have going on, but I been checking the site and needed to post something here first now that I am back.  I would first like to extend my condolences to Mike's family.  Having three boys of my own I just can't imagine what you are going thru.  My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.  

I have only known Mike thru the online community of this site for the past year but in that short time have grown to appreciate and respect him in many ways.  I already miss his humor and insightful perspectives of gaming and the gaming industry.

I don't know why Mike chose Nepenthean as his username but I have been thinking about that a lot since I hearing this news.  It may have more than one meaning but my understanding of the word is that it is something that helps you get over grief or sorrow.  Seems this is something we could all use right now.

-Brian
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 06:29:29 PM by bum-man » Logged

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2006, 01:34:25 PM »

Very sad news, first my condolences to his family and friends. I hope this site will stay there for ever to keep his spirit alive on the web.

Adri
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2006, 03:12:25 AM »

Well, I dropped out of the retro scene altogether a few months ago, and only just heard the sad news today. Sad

He was a good bloke, I only knew him from this board, and VGB. Glad to see that his site will carry on anyway.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2006, 08:08:13 PM »

I just found out about this news today and I wanted to say that this is extremely sad news.  I too have known Mike since the VideoGameBible days and he will be missed.  He was very intelligent and always had an open mind, and very thoughtful ideas/comments to share.  RIP my friend.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length