RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:59:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Any other Magic players on RFG? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Any other Magic players on RFG?  (Read 15059 times)
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 07:28:42 PM »

Really liking Theros so far, too. Had ridiculously good luck with pulls so far, which makes things all the more exciting - in a little less than a box-worth of packs, I've pulled 2 Ashiok, 1 Elspeth, 1 Erebos, 2 Thoughtseize, 2 Hythonia the Cruel and 4 of the scry Temple lands. Never had such a good run of pulls.

Also taking a stab at a standard Ashiok control deck. Here's where I'm at so far, bearing in mind that I was trying to do my best to keep the deck to the cards I have on-hand, rather than buying a whole heap of expensive new stuff (aside from completing the playset of Thoughseize, which I planned on doing anyway):

2 Ashiok Nightmare Weaver
4 Thoughtseize
4 Dissolve
4 Doom Blade
3 Read the Bones
2 Pilfered Plans
2 Aqueous Form
4 Dimir Charm
2 Aetherling
2 Omenspeaker
2 Scroll Thief
2 Faerie Imposter
2 Dimir Cluestone
16 Island
8 Swamp

Definitely need 4 Temple of Deceit, and if I really get ambitious, 4 Watery Graves. Those would all need to be purchased, so I'm holding off for now.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:43:48 PM by Bad Enough Dude » Logged

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »

I think you could definitely do better than the Scroll Thief / Faerie Imposter package. Assuming your plan is to win with the Aetherlings, more removal/counters might be a good way to go. Warped Physique is pretty great.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »

Ok guys, I'll be taking this deck to GP Antwerp.

It should be decent, easy enough to pilot, and fun. All I have to keep track of is triggers. I'm not expecting miracles though. Wink

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cheap-soul-sisters/

I've opted for a diverse sideboard (as opposed to having lots of 3x and 4x cards) so that whatever I sideboard in doesn't affect my deck that much. It's a bunch of artifact, creature and graveyard hate, basically. So I should atleast have *something* against Jund, Affinity, Tron... If I'm lucky I get to play against Burn! Smiley
BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »

I think you could definitely do better than the Scroll Thief / Faerie Imposter package. Assuming your plan is to win with the Aetherlings, more removal/counters might be a good way to go. Warped Physique is pretty great.

There are improvements to be made.

Scroll Thief is there to use with Aqueous Form for extra draws.

Faerie Imposter is cheap flying damage that lets me reuse Omenspeaker's scry ability.

Eventually they'll be replaced, but I'm budgeting myself right now. Smiley

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »

So I played GP Antwerp yesterday. It was great fun, although 9 rounds of Magic is huge (the waiting time between rounds is a killer, really). There were 1600 players. The tournament started at 9:30 and I went home at 22:10 (10:10pm). Stamina plays a big role if you want to compete.

I went 1-4-4. Lots of draws, not because of slow playing or stalling, but because my lifegain deck makes it harder for an opponent to kill me compared to a regular deck. It often meant we'd be at 1-1 with the time expiring, and the 5 additional turns couldn't finish off the 3rd game.

My deck was pretty good, although improvements could be made. A lot of my losses were closer than you'd think. I'd ditch Boros Elite in favour of something like Suntail Hawk. Flyers are amazing, and most decks can't block them effectively.

My sideboard was great, except for a few cards that I never needed. Next time, I'd add more of the great hate cards instead (Suppression Field, Stony Silence, Rest in Peace, ...). If you can land one of those against the right decks, they almost win you the game by themselves.

I'll post a more detailed report if anyone would like that. (please ask) Not sure if anyone here is really into Modern, though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:04:37 AM by Sirgin » Logged
engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »

I played MTG for a while around 1994-1997 with some friends, but I haven't officially played (except some MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam) for a long while.  Although I do still occasionally buy cards because I love the artwork and thumbing through them.
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »

Faerie Imposter is cheap flying damage that lets me reuse Omenspeaker's scry ability.

Where in MN are you? I feel like I could help with this.

BadEnoughDude
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »

Where in MN are you? I feel like I could help with this.

I live in St. Paul.

@Sirgin: My collection. Made reference to it in that last DM, but here's a photo to contextualize:

[img width=500 height=375]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7435/10617187574_827af507bc.jpg[/img]
Photo Nov 01, 6 25 06 PM by morris_mailboxheads, on Flickr

There's five or six 3200 and 5000-count boxes there, and several smaller ones. It's a shame that I don't have more people to play with. Everything spends so much time just sitting in the closet.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:37:31 PM by Bad Enough Dude » Logged

Minnesota represent.
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »

^ Impressive collection! Mine would fit in two of those boxes (with room to spare). Tongue

EDIT: I know what it feels like to not have people to play against. About once a year I contemplate joining MTGO, because it's so damn convenient. Then I realize how absurd it is to pay for digital "cards", when I already have so many real cards...  Undecided
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:28:23 PM by Sirgin » Logged
NxCmp
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 12:26:51 AM »

I use to play years ago, last I played was when the Mirrodin series was released. All the newer car series with dual cards and a new rarity was all BS to me. I only play with the older series if I ever play at some point. I will say using a more old school deck vs the new series, you will get your butt kicked. Ive made some good decks over the years but don't really play much anymore.

Need computer or other I.T. related help ? Send me a PM, would be glad to help.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »

I went to a casual Commander/EDH tournament at my LGS today. It was a ton of fun. It was my first time playing Commander; last night I quickly scrambled a deck together.

This is what I played: http://tappedout.net/mtg-...-the-conclave-22-12-13-1/

It could definitely be improved upon. But for a quickly put together deck, it isn't that bad. I have a lot of ramp creatures, so I can usually get my basic lands quickly. I didn't realize how many creature sweepers there are in EDH. I definitely need some artifacts, equipments and enchantments to add to the deck. That would give me some decent staying power after a sweeper hits the board.

Some of of the other people there had crazy decks. One had a Kiki-Jiki deck. Another had a crazy combo deck that allowed him to draw his entire library, by creating tokens and sacrificing those tokens. He had Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder to make tokens and It used Fecundity to draw cards. He then had a Goblin Sharpshooter to deal damage every time he sacrificed one of the tokens. He used a card I can't remember the name of to double any tokens put into play. Eventually he had so many tokens he could do infinite damage. Also, his final turn took like 10 minutes.

He also had another annoying deck that involved Stasis. He eventually had the pieces to remove Stasis from the game at the beginning of his turn, play whatever, and put it back before the end of his turn. Angry

There were random foils handed out after every round. I got a Venser, the Sojourner, a Jace Beleren and a Vela the Night-Clad. Pretty sweet.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:05:19 PM by Sirgin » Logged
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »

Is anyone still playing Magic?

I've been going to a couple of tournaments these past weeks at my LGS, and it's been a lot of fun each time. It's definitely something I'm thinking of doing regularly in the future.

Also, I just won a Grand Prix Trial (GPT) today, so yay, haha. Wink It was standard. Now I have 2 byes at Grand Prix Vienna, but I haven't decided yet whether I can actually afford to go. It's the weekend of 21-23 March. Maybe if I can grab a cheap flight and stay at a youth hostel, I could keep the costs down to a minimum.

Entry into the GP itself is €50, which is serious money. But it's a sealed event, so I guess €25 for the sealed pool and €25 for the GP isn't that surprising.

What do you guys think?
Munter
N-Gage
Japan

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 12:35:36 AM »

I played it a lot in High School and loved every minute. I have wanted to get back into it at some point, but I just can't ever seem to find the time/money/people who want to play.
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »

Sirgin - I would definitely try and check it out - two byes is a pretty greal deal. I'm planning on doing a GP this year (in Minneapolis), mostly because I've never played in a tournament of that caliber. I don't expect to do well, but it should be an interesting experience.

Munter - Check out Duels of the Planeswalkers. It's available on pretty much every recent platform, it's pretty cheap, and it's a great re-introduction to the game.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »

Sirgin - I would definitely try and check it out - two byes is a pretty greal deal. I'm planning on doing a GP this year (in Minneapolis), mostly because I've never played in a tournament of that caliber. I don't expect to do well, but it should be an interesting experience.

Yep. I'll be going. Smiley

Don't expect too much for your first GP, unless you play a lot at your LGS or MODO and have a great deck (if constructed). What format will Minneapolis be?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length