RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:18:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Where do you buy your games? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Where do you buy your games?  (Read 5027 times)
Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:14:29 PM »

Huh Where do you buy your games at? I am a collector, but I do not buy anything online. All my items I got from thrift stores, game stores, pawn shops, etc. So tell me... Where do your get your games, consoles, & accessories?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 03:45:27 PM »

There's a good podcast regarding local collecting, if that's what you're interested in:

Personally, I frequent thrift stores, pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, and my local retro stores for games and accessories.  From time to time, I also check antique shops, which have decent finds on occasion.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:50:32 PM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »

don't forget electronics stores like radioshack/the source...they don't normally have much but they do have some things. also bargain bins at the big stores like walmart are good for the newer games. for older stuff, places meant for kids can be good. toy stores for example. also consignment stores, which are usually 99% clothing, sometimes have games...one near me has a small selection of ps2/gamecube/xbox gen stuff.
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:54:19 PM »

the source
I second that, I found Gears of War 2 brand new there for $0.46 in 2010. I go anywhere there is a deal.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »

Really depends on where you live.  Where I live garage sales and flea markets are a bust, and Craig's List is full of $100 Atari 2600 systems, so that leaves thrift stores and pawn shops.  I've found NES systems, a N64, a bunch of Genesis stuff (always a loose Genesis at the thrift stores), a metric ess-ton of PC games, PSX games, and even a SNES power adapter (right when my original one failed).

Blockbuster used to be a great source for modern games (sometimes 50% lower than Gamestop), but that well has dried up.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »

Play n Trade

Local shop called Worlds Game Store

Thrift Stores

Amazon/Ebay & http://japangamestock.com/
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »

Steam

When shall his new form be revealed?
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »

I live in the Seattle area as well, and I have a hard time finding stuff in the area, lots of resellers.  I mostly just go to the places you have said, about twice a week. Sometimes I am lucky, sometimes I am not.

If you have looked on craigslist you can tell just how much people are going off ebay prices, even for items that are not worth that much really.  So that is a problem in our area. I think it is something you have to deal with when collecting, though. really the question you have to ask yourself is, is this item worth that much to me, or is there a high chance I can find this cheaper, somewhere else. That is how collecting stuff works.  Prices are dependent on how much someone is willing to pay for something.

Wish I could help you more, the only other thing is to make contact with other collectors, that are not douchebags, and are not going to scam you, but people that you can trust to look out for you. If you do become a regular with a person who is just a reseller, hey it could work out in your favor, since he might be willing to give you a deal.

Get in contact with people like that, so if you are looking for something in particular you have more sets of eyes, and better chances of getting lucky. That's what I have been doing, lately.

I hope this bit of info has been helpful, and I am sure this is info that you probably already knew

If there is something you are looking for in particular I can keep an eye out, or if there is something I see that you might interested in, I can give you a heads up. Message me on here, and let me know the types of things you are interested in or are looking for. Maybe you can do the same for me. : )
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:44:37 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »

Really depends on where you live.  Where I live garage sales and flea markets are a bust, and Craig's List is full of $100 Atari 2600 systems, so that leaves thrift stores and pawn shops.  I've found NES systems, a N64, a bunch of Genesis stuff (always a loose Genesis at the thrift stores), a metric ess-ton of PC games, PSX games, and even a SNES power adapter (right when my original one failed).

Blockbuster used to be a great source for modern games (sometimes 50% lower than Gamestop), but that well has dried up.

You know, that's odd, because I've found the exact opposite to be true and I live in the Metro Detroit area as well.  Garage sales have always been the biggest single source of games for me and thrift stores are usually pretty dry.
Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »

I live in the Seattle area as well, and I have a hard time finding stuff in the area, lots of resellers.  I mostly just go to the places you have said, about twice a week. Sometimes I am lucky, sometimes I am not.

If you have looked on craigslist you can tell just how much people are going off ebay prices, even for items that are not worth that much really.  So that is a problem in our area. I think it is something you have to deal with when collecting, though. really the question you have to ask yourself is, is this item worth that much to me, or is there a high chance I can find this cheaper, somewhere else. That is how collecting stuff works.  Prices are dependent on how much someone is willing to pay for something.

Wish I could help you more, the only other thing is to make contact with other collectors, that are not douchebags, and are not going to scam you, but people that you can trust to look out for you. If you do become a regular with a person who is just a reseller, hey it could work out in your favor, since he might be willing to give you a deal.

Get in contact with people like that, so if you are looking for something in particular you have more sets of eyes, and better chances of getting lucky. That's what I have been doing, lately.

I hope this bit of info has been helpful, and I am sure this is info that you probably already knew

If there is something you are looking for in particular I can keep an eye out, or if there is something I see that you might interested in, I can give you a heads up. Message me on here, and let me know the types of things you are interested in or are looking for. Maybe you can do the same for me. : )

Thanks for the info. I would gladly look out for anything you are looking for.

One of the stores here in Seattle I recommend is Pink Gorilla (Used to be Pink Godzilla)
in the international district (one in west Seattle to now.) Half-Price Books is a GREAT place to find boxed, cheap, & rare items. Seriously
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:09:37 PM by Am4zingGam3r » Logged

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 08:57:11 PM »

You know, that's odd, because I've found the exact opposite to be true and I live in the Metro Detroit area as well.  Garage sales have always been the biggest single source of games for me and thrift stores are usually pretty dry.

So you're the one sucking up all my garage sale treats!  Lol, I've never had any luck at garage sales (well, nothing more than a few pickups, and that was well over ten years ago).  Last few times I went out I got nothing, and the drain on gas was so high I ended up swearing them off.  Crap, between you, Raz, and Den68 I don't have a chance anymore Wink

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »

Pawn shops, thrift shops and Half Price Books. I usually find enough in these places to keep me satiated.

I moved to a new neighborhood recently too, and am excited about the prospect of hitting up some yard sales this summer. With any luck, I find a few honey holes.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 09:16:23 PM »

I buy my games on planet Earth from people who are willing to sell them to be.

Mostly at a local independent game store called Destiny Games and thrift stores, which their are plenty of. Thrifts are my main source.
monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »

I usually go the the local Play N Trade. Garage sales around here are a waste of time since there's a lot of seniors around here. Same with thrift shops, not much more than a couple of old sports games. Sadly in my area (Central/South New Jersey) there just isn't much aside from clearances at Target/Walmart or going to Gamestop. I usually stick to eBay or Amazon...or even here!

Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »

There was a Play N Trade in Meridian last time I went to Idaho. There was a TON of games there!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length