RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2018, 06:50:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Poor Quality Scans? Let's Replace Them! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Poor Quality Scans? Let's Replace Them!  (Read 6019 times)
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2018, 04:02:48 AM »

Itís my image being replaced here so Iíd like to say Iím always happy for my images to be replaced with a higher quality image (if the image is legit of course).
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2018, 11:36:48 AM »

I didn't say Kaysow's images were fake.  I said they LOOK fake.  As a variant collector I prefer seeing images that look like real products rather than something cooked up by a marketing department.

I agree with Raidou here in the fact that these games are typically more pastel in color. I'm positive the other is not fake, but the image seems darker in color in comparison to what these games typically appear.

However, I understand the desire and need to replace bad images and think this is something that we should certainly continue to do. I appreciate the efforts of the submitter and trying to make our images and sight better. Perhaps we need to create some sort of policy and communication procedure between the submitter and approver. This is not my area of expertise on the site, so I would prefer the Duke weigh in. Just my two cents.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen Retro Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Licensed NES set: complete!, 12 games remaining for SMS set, 12 for 7800, and 25 for 5200.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2018, 08:29:56 PM »

Certainly everyone involved in this conversation wants to make RFG the best game DB out there, so I'm glad we're all focused on that end.

There are things to consider in terms of when an image deserves replacement, such as resolution, condition of material scanned, and scan fidelity. I think it would be hard to quantify this in a policy, as the first two conditions are objective, and the last is subjective. I'm willing to trust our approvers to do their work without micromanaging this, and I would just encourage our approvers to communicate why you make a rejection thoroughly. By doing this, we can communicate our position, without discouraging submissions in the future.

kaysow
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My scanner is pretty old and slow (an inlay takes 4-5 minutes at 800dpi) so to get consistent lighting and good sharpness I usually scan after sundown. That might be why it appears darker than the average scan.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 10:49:28 PM »

I really appreciate you taking the time to add to the DB kaysow, especially if you're working around a temperamental scanner. Wink

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 08:06:13 AM »

If anyone is approving Kaysow's replacement scans please watch out for extra media replacements because these won't overwrite the inferior version of the scan, which must be deleted manually.

If you cant delete images please leave these in the queue for someone who can.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length