RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 09:02:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Welp, Microsoft Just Blew Their Foot Off 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Welp, Microsoft Just Blew Their Foot Off  (Read 42444 times)
Necrosaro
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2013, 03:12:13 PM »

They still can't even get basic console design and a controller right,

Umm what? The Xbox 360 controller kicks ass.

Also why was anyone surprised by what happened at this event? This kind of games in the back ground has been going on for years. I have seen nothing that makes me think Sony, Nintendo or M$ (oh look how clever I was using a dollar sign, stupid companies wanting to make money). Well I can see how Nintendo wont do anything but Sony and Microsoft are still up in the air.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've never liked the Xbox controller design. Only one I was ever somewhat comfortable with was the Xbox Controller S on the original Xbox. The 360 controller just feels awkward as heck to me. Now that I look at the new Xbox One controller closely, At least M$ got a couple of things right: They got rid of the stupid D-pad and replaced it with a standard cross, and that pregnant bump on the back is gone now. But it still looks like the spacing is further apart, and my hands aren't happy with it. I dunno, maybe that's why I suck at shooter games this gen. :p

It doesn't take away from the fact that M$ is pretty anti-consumerist and anti-gamer with their new 'reveal'. And unlike the 360, this time around, Halo and whatever 'exclusive' games Microsoft has won't be enough to save the console if Microsoft doesn't change its stance and insists on fees for used games, connecting to the internet at least once a day, no BC (better hang onto your 360 for XBLA stuff, at least until the servers inevitably go down), and forced mandatory game installs (1 TB HDD or cloud storage on Nextbox?). Maybe M$ can pull a miracle at E3, but I kinda doubt it.

I also love how Sony and Nintendo's stocks immediately shot up right after Microsoft's big reveal yesterday. Telling.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:17:38 PM by Necrosaro » Logged

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »

I also love how Sony and Nintendo's stocks immediately shot up right after Microsoft's big reveal yesterday. Telling.

Both Sony's and Nintendo's share prices have fallen more than twice what Microsoft's have today.

MSFT - 34.61  -0.24
NTDOY - 13.49   -0.50
SNE - 22.15   -0.76
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2013, 04:16:40 PM »

Here you go.
Nintendo Sony MS Activision EA and Gamestop.
http://finance.yahoo.com/...ale=off;source=undefined;

Sony apparently has been on the uptick lately from NONgaming news since you know they do make tons of stuff besides the PS. Also the stock market on the whole has been on a rise (look at anything beyond the last week and you will see it at a high and destined to hit another bubble. I could just be cynical though)

Reasons for including those companies in the chart:
MS/Sony/Nin - obviously all competitors. Stocks are not always a fair comparison though since Sony and MS have other ventures that effect performance. Nintendo only has gaming.

Activision/EA - Included because they were both important parts of the reveal. Both offering exclusive and/or advanced content to the Nextbox over WiiU and PS4.

Gamestop - Because the potential hit to the secondary market directly effects them.

Required codes could also help kill of the remaining rental brick and mortars (Blockbuster? Anyone else?) and Gamefly.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2013, 04:31:16 PM »

Another Anti-Nextbox article i got from a (afaik) long time 360 supporter.

http://www.bloodwcinnamon.com/art/xboxone.html
(Has anyone figured out yet that i am not thrilled with Nextbox?)

I got a kick out of it. Loved how it ended.
Spoiler (hover to show)

KidA
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »

I'm largely an Xbox player and was super excited about the new reveal.  Honestly though, what was there to be excited about?  I don't mind the system requiring an internet connection, my computers have basically relied on that for the past decade.  Still, I can't help but be annoyed by the used game fee.  Sure as a collector that goes without saying, but just the mere thought of actually having to hunt down a new copy of a game that's been on the market for a while or not being able to lend a friend a game is demoralizing.  The whole internet marketplace scenario makes sense moving into the future, but how well did the PSPGo really fare?  I think models like Steam have worked well because people know what they are paying for without closed curtains--most people are still wanting the console experience they have grown accustomed to. Am I still going to buy one? Yes, and a PS4.  Why?  Because I'm retarted and compulsive like that.  I own a Wii U, and Vita despite not having really seen any worthwhile content on those yet. 

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »

I think Microsoft is trying to dig themselves a giant hole to China!

http://www.polygon.com/20...rds-thinking-don-mattrick

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2013, 09:11:51 PM »

I'm sure he thinks it is backwards. Hard to charge people a second time if they can just keep using all the online games they already have. Nintendo seems to share the same philosophy for digital, but at least they are charging less to "upgrade" VC games to the Wii U.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »

I don't know many people who used the BC capabilities of the 360 because it was terrible, so 5% of people using a broken feature does not surprise me. Games would freeze more frequently, crash, various bugs and glitches would come out, all because the software emulation sucked.

I know a lot more people that use the BC of the PS3, especially if they have their old childhood favorite PS1 games around still.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »

I don't know many people who used the BC capabilities of the 360 because it was terrible, so 5% of people using a broken feature does not surprise me. Games would freeze more frequently, crash, various bugs and glitches would come out, all because the software emulation sucked.

I know a lot more people that use the BC of the PS3, especially if they have their old childhood favorite PS1 games around still.

i was thinking the same thing, as well as backwards compatibility for gamecube on the Wii, and Wii on the Wii-U. of course people use it less if it doesn't work.

edit: this might be one of the fastest expanding topics i've seen on RFG, over 5 pages of posts in just over 24 hours.
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »

Same here, backwards-compatibly(aside from the Wii) was so broken last gen that I really don't see it as a new issue. That, and outdated consoles can be had so cheap it isn't a problem.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Necrosaro
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2013, 10:32:59 PM »

And now Microsoft is even kicking the indie developers to the curb. Unless they want to go through Microsoft or find other publishers willing to take a chance on them.

http://www.siliconera.com...ublish-games-on-xbox-one/

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2013, 10:41:09 PM »

And now Microsoft is even kicking the indie developers to the curb. Unless they want to go through Microsoft or find other publishers willing to take a chance on them.

http://www.siliconera.com...ublish-games-on-xbox-one/

So after they spent a whole generation supporting Indie, they're telling it to *bleep* off?

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2013, 10:47:54 PM »

Depending on the price of buying a new game license I might still buy this.  If it's $5?  Sure, no problem, I'm on board.  If it's $20?  Go fuck yourself.  This is a terrible idea that will alienate a huge portion of the gaming public, not to mention Gamestop.  You think their going to dedicate as much floor space to the new Xbox as they will for the Wii U or the Playstation 4 assuming they don't go the same route?  Hell no.  They'll get the Playstation 2/PSP corner of the store.

Essentially Microsoft is trying to sell you a PC that can't be upgraded, doesn't have as much functionality as a regular PC with even more stringent DRM restrictions.  It's like they haven't been paying attention lately.  Limited numbers of installs or each game?  That failed and almost every developer that included it patched it out of the games.  Required internet connection?  Ask SimCity 5 about that.  This is just an absurd direction to take this.  Take all of the failures of the PC and put them on your new console.  Brilliant.

I'm not even saying they should stick to the old media model.  If it was a purely digital system, I could at least applaud them for trying to embrace new technology trends.  The fact that they are sticking to the old media model but putting it into a digital distribution framework is just ridiculous.

I don't know if any of what I just wrote made sense.  I just kind of mentally threw up all over this post.  I'm just so sick of being treated like a criminal by game companies.
KidA
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2013, 01:02:03 AM »

I have a feeling Microsoft will strike a partnership with Gamestop/ Best Buy in which you would pay the fee when buying the used game--in the way you can buy dlc at retail now.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2013, 07:53:36 AM »

I have a feeling Microsoft will strike a partnership with Gamestop/ Best Buy in which you would pay the fee when buying the used game--in the way you can buy dlc at retail now.

I was just thinking about this this morning and that probably is what's going to happen.  The only problem is that Microsoft just priced themselves out of the used game market.  Assuming Sony doesn't do this, their games will consistently be cheaper than the Xbox Stupidname's games.  That can only last for so long before people start flocking to the PS4.  You'll also very rarely see newer used games for sale.  Now when a game comes out, you can buy it for $60 new or $54 used.  That extra license fee charge just bumped up the used price up to new price.  Sure, Gamestop could sell the new used game for $50 instead of $54 to make up for the license fee and still keep the option of buying used attractive, but what company is going to be happy that they get to lose that much potential profit on every unit sold.

Sweet Lord I've spent way to much energy bitching about Microsoft lately.  I've got to go do something else or I'm going to get into raving fanboy territory.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length