RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:11:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37 Print
Author Topic: Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread  (Read 205745 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #420 on: May 28, 2015, 07:44:10 AM »

I recently got hooked on these games, so I figured I'd nominate them.

Rolling Thunder (NES), Rolling Thunder 2 (Genesis/Mega Drive), Rolling Thunder 3 (Genesis).

I stuck with the home ports, despite the fact the arcade versions have been ported to the home  in the past.  The real challenge with these games will be playing them for a month without damaging consoles or controllers out of frustration.

I have such a soft spot for these games and fondly remember playing the original in the arcade. So brutal, but so well done.  Could be a fun month, but one I wouldn't expect anyone to finish.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #421 on: May 28, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »

I have such a soft spot for these games and fondly remember playing the original in the arcade. So brutal, but so well done.  Could be a fun month, but one I wouldn't expect anyone to finish.

I wouldn't expect anyone to finish, either, though Namco expects you to beat Rolling Thunder TWICE, a la Ghosts & Goblins.

I envisioned a Rolling Thunder playthrough month as a score attack.  Everyone jockeys for the best score in one or all of the games.  It'll keep people trying to get just a little further as the game really cranks up the difficulty.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #422 on: May 28, 2015, 06:37:14 PM »

Pretty sure it's been suggested before:  Bionic Commando

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #423 on: May 28, 2015, 07:34:40 PM »

The NES game I assume?  Geez, talk about your controller thrower.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #424 on: May 28, 2015, 08:02:05 PM »

I would nominate the Game Boy Bionic Commando.  It's one of my favorites.

Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #425 on: June 02, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »

Id like to suggest shenmue 1 and 2 for a retro playthrough sometime always games ive wanted to beat and from what i remember they were great games not to sure about a modern playthough ill have to do some pondering. Just throwing it out there. Shenmue was cutting edge in its time and definitley a game every gamer should experience at least once if they havent.

There is no Spoon - Neo
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #426 on: June 02, 2015, 12:25:32 PM »

Shenmue has been mentioned before (by me actually), but maybe we'll get to it sooner or later.  I'd love to replay that one.  I know Dreamcast seems retro by now, but for our purposes we consider it a modern console.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #427 on: June 02, 2015, 12:27:56 PM »

Shenmue has been mentioned before (by me actually), but maybe we'll get to it sooner or later.  I'd love to replay that one.  I know Dreamcast seems retro by now, but for our purposes we consider it a modern console.

It really comes down to (1) how many members own a DC and (2) how many members out of those would be willing to play this title. It would be more justifiable if it were downloadable on a more modern system.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #428 on: June 02, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »

It really comes down to (1) how many members own a DC and (2) how many members out of those would be willing to play this title. It would be more justifiable if it were downloadable on a more modern system.

DC seems to be pretty well loved around these parts.  I mean, the Collectorcast dedicated a whole episode to it.  As for your second point, I think recent months have proved that's always a crapshoot regardless of how many people say they're willing to play a particular game.

I agree about it being downloadable.  I'm still holding out hope for an HD remaster of these games.  According to something I read a few years ago, Sega has been sitting on completed HD remasters but have just neglected to release them.  Not sure if it's true though.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #429 on: June 02, 2015, 01:28:02 PM »

Jurassic Park, the Genesis and/or SNES version.  The Genesis version was awesome, the first was better than the second, though.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #430 on: June 02, 2015, 01:37:26 PM »

Jurassic Park, the Genesis and/or SNES version.  The Genesis version was awesome, the first was better than the second, though.
Well... Obviously enough SNES versions exist: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1...1586916547?orig_cvip=true
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #431 on: June 02, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »

Well... Obviously enough SNES versions exist: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1...1586916547?orig_cvip=true
Awesome. I like the FAQs at the bottom of the listing.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #432 on: June 02, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »

Shenmue has been mentioned before (by me actually), but maybe we'll get to it sooner or later.  I'd love to replay that one.  I know Dreamcast seems retro by now, but for our purposes we consider it a modern console.

DC seems to be pretty well loved around these parts.  I mean, the Collectorcast dedicated a whole episode to it.  As for your second point, I think recent months have proved that's always a crapshoot regardless of how many people say they're willing to play a particular game.

I agree about it being downloadable.  I'm still holding out hope for an HD remaster of these games.  According to something I read a few years ago, Sega has been sitting on completed HD remasters but have just neglected to release them.  Not sure if it's true though.

There is no question as to whether the DC is well-liked or not. We know there are a lot of fans on this site. The problem is that it is not a "Tier A" system (a system that virtually everyone owns like an NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX-PS3, etc.). Reducing the number of possible participants + the low participation rate we already have spells almost certain doom for such a playthrough. I am not trying to diminish playing a DC game, and think in theory that it would be great, but in practicality, interest may not be enough as to dedicate a month to it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:49:12 PM by singlebanana » Logged

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #433 on: June 02, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »

I always rage quit at those helicopter guys.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #434 on: June 02, 2015, 02:48:58 PM »

I always rage quit at those helicopter guys.

I always rage quit because #nodamnjumpbutton

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length