RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:24:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37 Print
Author Topic: Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread  (Read 205738 times)
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #435 on: June 02, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »

I own a DC and Shenmue. Still wouldn't want to do a community play through for it.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #436 on: June 02, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »

I hear you banana. I was just throwing it out there. Its just a game i wanted to go back and play. Would be interesting to play with you guys.

There is no Spoon - Neo
Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #437 on: June 02, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »

Why not engineer mike whats un appealing about it to you? You also said you wouldnt play mass effect...just curious what exactly WOULD you like to play?

There is no Spoon - Neo
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #438 on: June 02, 2015, 03:00:32 PM »

I hear you banana. I was just throwing it out there. Its just a game i wanted to go back and play. Would be interesting to play with you guys.

I've heard great things about the game, but have never played it myself. If it were on a more collected system or were available for download via a more modern system, I would love to play it trust me.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #439 on: June 02, 2015, 03:24:35 PM »

The whole Shenmue discussion is kind of a moot point anyway.  The modern playthroughs are mostly all decided for the rest of the year, and I don't anticipate the game being chosen anytime in the foreseeable future, even by me.  Like I said, still waiting for that HD remaster which may or may not ever happen, and I'd hate to have another Suikoden II situation where the digital release comes out right after the playthrough.

Not really sure I agree with swearing off DC titles (or Saturn for that matter, when the hell are we going to do something for that system?).  I understand the point about trying to increase the odds of participation, but at the same time, I also think our game selections should be diverse and all systems should have at least some representation around here, even if it is small.  If participation is low and the game flops, well, it happens.  Never stopped us from doing Wii playthroughs.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #440 on: June 02, 2015, 04:12:59 PM »

Not really sure I agree with swearing off DC titles (or Saturn for that matter, when the hell are we going to do something for that system?).  I understand the point about trying to increase the odds of participation, but at the same time, I also think our game selections should be diverse and all systems should have at least some representation around here, even if it is small.  If participation is low and the game flops, well, it happens.  Never stopped us from doing Wii playthroughs.

Of course, I would never want to swear anything off in terms of systems, but I'd like there to be at least some interest in playing a game besides one or two people chiming in on a title. The problem, as we have discussed as a playthrough group is that we have a lot of people who like to suggest titles, but when it comes down to it, a good majority of them don't play the games when they pop up (see Suikoden II playthrough....and there have been other noted incidents).  We LOVE, LOVE community suggestions, but in the end, we are the ones who HAVE to play each title; we can't duck out whenever we like due to "contractual obligations." Ha!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #441 on: June 02, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »

Of course, I would never want to swear anything off in terms of systems, but I'd like there to be at least some interest in playing a game besides one or two people chiming in on a title. The problem, as we have discussed as a playthrough group is that we have a lot of people who like to suggest titles, but when it comes down to it, a good majority of them don't play the games when they pop up (see Suikoden II playthrough....and there have been other noted incidents).  We LOVE, LOVE community suggestions, but in the end, we are the ones who HAVE to play each title; we can't duck out whenever we like due to "contractual obligations." Ha!

I totally agree with community interest being there, but given the volume of members here, one or two suggestions for a given title is all we usually get, so it's tough to discern when there is legitimate interest or if it's just a random shoutout.  I think the only real way to "guarantee" (I use that word very loosely) high participation is to do a community poll every month, but I doubt us hosts would want to live with those constraints for every playthrough.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #442 on: June 02, 2015, 05:38:49 PM »

Why not engineer mike whats un appealing about it to you? You also said you wouldnt play mass effect...just curious what exactly WOULD you like to play?

Ys

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #443 on: June 02, 2015, 05:49:30 PM »

I totally agree with community interest being there, but given the volume of members here, one or two suggestions for a given title is all we usually get, so it's tough to discern when there is legitimate interest or if it's just a random shoutout.  I think the only real way to "guarantee" (I use that word very loosely) high participation is to do a community poll every month, but I doubt us hosts would want to live with those constraints for every playthrough.

Yep. And even the polls are not accurate in terms of who will play; people often vote to just vote for a preference.  I'll be shocked if we have close to the same number of participants for Nemo as we had votes. With that said, the playthroughs began with one idea and one which we follow, "Here's what I'm playing. Who wants to play it with me?"  I love suggestions and ALWAYS look over the list here before I pick games. However, this isn't to say that I may go my own way sometimes (with the blessing of my co-host of course) and that's just the balancing game we have to strike to keep community interest and keep us, the hosts, excited to play every month.  I do hope everyone is enjoying the playthroughs and podcast overall and certainly understand that not all games are everyone's cup of tea.  Thank you to those who participate in our video gaming "book club."

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #444 on: June 02, 2015, 05:50:45 PM »

Ys

Mike, I grabbed a CIB Famicom Ys not long ago. May have to search for a R5 translation patch. Wink

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #445 on: June 02, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »

Ys

Mike, I grabbed a CIB Famicom Ys not long ago. May have to search for a R5 translation patch. Wink

Speaking of Community Playthroughs no one would participate in, I'd be down for a Famicom Ys playthrough.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #446 on: June 02, 2015, 07:23:48 PM »

Ha! Ha!

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

Re:
« Reply #447 on: June 02, 2015, 08:04:13 PM »

I was thinking of this the other day. How about Punch-Out!!? Either Mike Tyson or Mr. Dream, depending on what you have.

It may sound like a quick one, but what about a scoreboard where people could post their best times for each opponent?

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #448 on: June 02, 2015, 08:06:14 PM »

Shenmue has been mentioned before (by me actually), but maybe we'll get to it sooner or later.  I'd love to replay that one.  I know Dreamcast seems retro by now, but for our purposes we consider it a modern console.
It really comes down to (1) how many members own a DC and (2) how many members out of those would be willing to play this title. It would be more justifiable if it were downloadable on a more modern system.

DC seems to be pretty well loved around these parts.  I mean, the Collectorcast dedicated a whole episode to it.  As for your second point, I think recent months have proved that's always a crapshoot regardless of how many people say they're willing to play a particular game.

I agree about it being downloadable.  I'm still holding out hope for an HD remaster of these games.  According to something I read a few years ago, Sega has been sitting on completed HD remasters but have just neglected to release them.  Not sure if it's true though.

There is no question as to whether the DC is well-liked or not. We know there are a lot of fans on this site. The problem is that it is not a "Tier A" system (a system that virtually everyone owns like an NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX-PS3, etc.). Reducing the number of possible participants + the low participation rate we already have spells almost certain doom for such a playthrough. I am not trying to diminish playing a DC game, and think in theory that it would be great, but in practicality, interest may not be enough as to dedicate a month to it.

Post a survey in another thread.  See how many peeps would like to participate?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #449 on: June 02, 2015, 08:42:27 PM »

Ys

Speaking of Community Playthroughs no one would participate in, I'd be down for a Famicom Ys playthrough.

I would play along on my TurboCD port.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length