RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:03:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Genre & Subgenre Guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Genre & Subgenre Guide  (Read 103717 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »

Split into the breakdown i had before?

Action - mindless actiony button games - Everything from Pong/Breakout to Pac-man and Asteroids to WarioWare(oh never mind that is a compilation/minigame...) Fruit Ninja

Adventure - Adventurey adventure games from Zork to Zork II to Visual Novels to Myst to other games with no action.

Action/Adventure - Actiony button games with Adventure-ish qualities 1/3 of all games released since 1990?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »

Just to clarify, Compilation should be SPECIFICALLY for games that were repackaged into a collection, and not for things like WarioWare.

The intention of requiring Subgenres to be added to the DB rather than a text entry is to have the opportunity to review the new Subgenre before adding it. In this case, the Submission Notes field can be used to indicate what the Subgenre should be if it doesn't match, or a Staff member can request a different Subgenre be added to accommodate.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2014, 08:45:45 PM »

Just to clarify, Compilation should be SPECIFICALLY for games that were repackaged into a collection, and not for things like WarioWare.
I already moved the entire Warioware series to Compilations as well as a few other minigame titles that didn't qualify as Party games. Do I have to change all of them back? I really don't think there's a better fitting genre for them.

Split into the breakdown i had before?
Yeah pretty much. I just have to read up on Act/Adv some more because the only two examples I can think of are Zelda and Beyond Good and Evil. I really don't want to get into that before we're done with the current stuff because it's a whole 'nother can o worms.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »

Minigames would be Action IMO anyways.

The only difference i could see that you came up with between Minigames and Party games is an overlying point system.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »

MISCELLANEOUS IS DONE!

QUICKLY DELETE IT BEFORE SOMEONE TRIES TO USE IT AGAIN!

EDIT
Also fixed of the "Misc." genre stuff that i previously linked to.
/EDIT
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:47:39 AM by Izret101 » Logged

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2014, 09:24:18 AM »

The intention of requiring Subgenres to be added to the DB rather than a text entry is to have the opportunity to review the new Subgenre before adding it. In this case, the Submission Notes field can be used to indicate what the Subgenre should be if it doesn't match, or a Staff member can request a different Subgenre be added to accommodate.

I agree with this.  WarioWare is definitely not a compilation.  All of the mini games are unique (well, unique to the series as some are recycled game to game), and I think it qualifies much more as action because you rely on quick button presses to win.  To me, compilation is like those Atari classics games that compile a number of previously released games onto one or more discs.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2014, 10:52:01 PM »

MISCELLANEOUS IS DONE!

QUICKLY DELETE IT BEFORE SOMEONE TRIES TO USE IT AGAIN!

EDIT
Also fixed of the "Misc." genre stuff that i previously linked to.
/EDIT

One game was approved with the Miscellaneous genre today. (Seriously WTF guys?)
Another was in queue. Both of them have been edited and the genre is once again empty.

Can the genre be removed before some lazy approver lets another one through?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:35 PM »

I'll do it first thing tomorrow.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2014, 11:25:55 PM »

Alright I can change WarioWare to action later on. As for trajectory, Puzzle or Action?
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2014, 07:20:03 AM »

Genre: Puzzle
Subgenre: Action, Trajectory

Also:
Art - The game is about making works of art! - Mario Paint, Art Academy, Color a Dinosaur, Inchworm Animation, ACME Animation Studio
Editing - Arranging video and audio. - The Sega CD Music Video Creator Games

Move from Simulator to Non-game genre?

EDIT
ALSO!
Borderlands Genre - RPG Subgenre: Shooter
It is most certainly a shooter. But unlike other games with "RPG elements" Level progression isn't a tacked on feature. You are required to level up to use weapons/armor/etc as well as to complete the main story and side quests.

Is the general populous in agreeance?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:29:43 AM by Izret101 » Logged

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »

Genre: Puzzle
Subgenre: Action, Trajectory

Also:
Art - The game is about making works of art! - Mario Paint, Art Academy, Color a Dinosaur, Inchworm Animation, ACME Animation Studio
Editing - Arranging video and audio. - The Sega CD Music Video Creator Games

Move from Simulator to Non-game genre?

EDIT
ALSO!
Borderlands Genre - RPG Subgenre: Shooter
It is most certainly a shooter. But unlike other games with "RPG elements" Level progression isn't a tacked on feature. You are required to level up to use weapons/armor/etc as well as to complete the main story and side quests.

Is the general populous in agreeance?

i second this, borderlands is to me an RPG first, shooter second. especially with things like the unlockable character bonuses that improve things like weapon accuracy and damage.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2014, 11:45:27 PM »

Homebrew has been sorted. Standby for deletion.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »

On a semi-related note, some approvers have been adding Titles with "A" at the beginning and not properly formatting them as ", A". I recall fixing them before but now there's more in the DB. For shame.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but would it be possible to standardize the publisher "RetroZone"? It's entered Retrozone, RetroZone, and RetroUSB. I believe that they are changing their branding over to just RetroUSB, but I'm not sure if that is what they should all be changed to.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »

On a semi-related note, some approvers have been adding Titles with "A" at the beginning and not properly formatting them as ", A". I recall fixing them before but now there's more in the DB. For shame.

I saw one example you changed, and wasn't sure about that, considering it's part of the pun for the title.
"A Mazing", to me, shouldn't be "Mazing, A"

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length