RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:37:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Genre & Subgenre Guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Genre & Subgenre Guide  (Read 103384 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2014, 12:51:14 AM »

I liked that genre and the idea of Maze for the Pacman style games and its clones.

I think many of the "classics" could get lumped into their own genres safely and pulled out of Action/Adventure catch all.

Breakout/Pong could eliminate thousands and thousands of titles from Action.
Maze too.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2014, 03:31:50 AM »

There weren't that many titles in it when I sorted it. Everything's gonna be a lot tidier when we sort act/adv anyway.
ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2014, 03:19:46 PM »

There weren't that many titles in it when I sorted it. Everything's gonna be a lot tidier when we sort act/adv anyway.
There were still a number of titles that belonged to that genre, and it also makes zero sense for Pong-like games such as Video Olympics to be counted as "Action/Adventure". If nobody has strong objections, I'd like to reinstate the "Breakout/Pong" genre and fix all the titles that used to be under that genre.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »

I know Pong isn't Action/Adventure. It's there temporarily. Part two of the restructuring is going to focus on the Act/Adv Genre only. It needs to be separated into 3 separate Genres: Action, Adventure and Action/Adventure.

Action: Games of reflex and reaction and the such. Pong goes here.
Adventure: Interactive stories. Point n clicks etc.
Action/Adventure: combines elements of both like Zelda, Beyond Good & Evil etc.

When it gets divided, Pong and breakout easily fit as subgenres under the Action Genre.

Please understand.
ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2014, 05:28:50 PM »

Please understand.
Still not buying it.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »

I don't know what else to tell ya. But if we make breakout/pong a genre again, we can make one for a bunch of other subgenres like survival horror, fps, etc. I'm not against it but we need to decide as a whole what we want to do.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »

I'm with Flee on this one...
Pong and Breakout are Subgenres of Action, much like Survival Horror can be.

GameFAQs even lists Pong under Action->General.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2014, 10:56:41 PM »

Repeated reference of other websites to support decisions made here isn't exactly a great working platform.

Copy pasting info from source to source is part of the reason why when something is wrong in one place it is wrong every place.

That and the broad generalizations and super generic info used on many websites.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2014, 12:09:56 AM »

Alright, so there's no definitive source for how game genres are classified. I'd say that leaves it up to the community to decide. I really think that's best. Wikipedia is super broad with their genres and TOO detailed with Subgenres IMO. They have shooters as a subgenre of action and other things that don't match up with how our Genres are divided. So that leaves us at what we were doing before: I try my best to organize everything and we take tally for any changes or updates.

Speaking of change: The Shooter Genre is the other Genre that is extremely bloated. I think it could be split in two. Something like Shoot em' Up and Shooter. Shoot em up can be for games that usually have movement on 2D planes and Shooter is for 3D planes. The exceptions: Isometric and Light Gun goes in Shooter and Run n Gun stays in Action. A little complicated but it's just an idea. Let me know what you think.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2014, 01:44:22 AM »

i'm with those saying pong/breakout should be a sub-genre, not it's own genre. otherwise if that was it's own genre then there would be other things that didn't make sense like a "Doom" genre with all FPS in it.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2014, 09:26:06 AM »

Ultimately, it's up to you guys.

Yes, izret, I'm aware that copy/pasting information around the net is what leads to bad information ending up everywhere. I just wanted to point out that it can technically fall under Action as a Subgenre, but unlike movies, games don't have definitive Genre/Subgenres yet, even amongst Microsoft and Sony when it comes to what they offer for publishers. Pong/Breakout doesn't technically belong any of the STANDARD Genres except Action.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:32:01 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »

i'm with those saying pong/breakout should be a sub-genre, not it's own genre. otherwise if that was it's own genre then there would be other things that didn't make sense like a "Doom" genre with all FPS in it.
On that note, Izret did propose a separate genre for FPSes, which is great considering they're lumped in with things like SHMUPs and light gun shooters.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2014, 12:00:40 AM »

On that note, Izret did propose a separate genre for FPSes, which is great considering they're lumped in with things like SHMUPs and light gun shooters.

i feel like that wouldn't be as big a problem if sub-genre was a dropdown filter in the database search just like genre. then in searches you could narrow it down to which specific type of shooter you were looking for.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2014, 04:59:50 AM »

An approver removed "party brawler" as a subgenre from both my smash bros game additions. Party brawler is in the guide and nobody has said a thing about it. They instead got submitted as "Vs". "Vs" makes absolutely no sense to me. Of course you're versing, it's a fighting game. "Vs" does nothing to define the gameplay. Stop using it.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2014, 06:48:30 AM »

Console Region Title Database Type Submitter Approver Date
3DS    North America      Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS    Games    Page Edit    Flee    Flee    2014-10-3 05:55:28
3DS    North America      Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS    Games    Variation Addition    Flee    ApolloBoy    2014-10-2 21:49:11

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length