RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:36:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July Modern Community Playthrough - PC Indie Mix 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: July Modern Community Playthrough - PC Indie Mix  (Read 19187 times)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:58:26 PM »

As herald of PC gaming among the playthrough hosts I felt it was my duty to represent. At least this once Wink

All July - Minecraft:

How to join in on the Minecraft portion of the playthrough:
    • Create a Mohjang account and buy the game ($26.95) if you don't already own it https://minecraft.net/store/minecraft
    • Download the game. Step 3 of buying will explain this part, but if you already own it and need to download again it can be found here: https://minecraft.net/download
    • Launch the game. Place the .exe that you downloaded anywhere you'd like and double-click it, that will launch the game and install everything in the background. Sign in with your Mohjang account, and hit the big "Play" button once the launcher finishes loading.
    • If you're like me and want your settings perfected before you even try the game, click "Options" and go through those as you see fit.
    • If you'd just like to jump right in and start playing, settings be damned (or you've finished with settings and are ready to play), hit "Multiplayer", then "Add server", name it anything you'd like and type in the address box "24.108.19.69:25565". Ignore the "Server Resource Packs" button and hit "Done", then double click the entry for the server connection you just created.
    • You should be in the game now and playing on the RFGeneration Community Playthrough server! If you're new to the game and would like some help getting started, the Minecraft Wiki page has many great tutorials for new and experienced players alike! http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials#Newcomers
    • The only major server rule I'll implement is no destroying things that other people have built, and be courteous about what you're doing. Don't build your house in the middle of someone else's farm for example, and don't go out of your way killing other players intentionally. There is an option to ban players from the server and if someone is consistently being a jerk I won't hesitate to use it, but we're all generally nice here so I don't expect any issues Wink

So we're going to start the month off with Minecraft, but unlike most multi-game months where this would be only week 1, this game will run all month while the others will be more of a one week each experience. The reason for this is that Minecraft is endless, time consuming, and addictive. Once you learn the basics, which doesn't take long, there's an infinite amount of things you can do in it. Anything from building a small cottage, to recreating the entirety of J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth, to building a working computer processor. All with blocks and some in-game wiring. Or if you're not so creative you can just try to survive each night against the hordes of monsters that spawn in the dark.

Now, there is technically an "end" to minecraft, but once you beat that it just respawns you back at your bed or default spawn location. So with that in mind this game will be played a little differently as a community. I'm going to host a dedicated server throughout the month where we can all jump in and out as we please and explore a minecraft world with each other, maybe build some projects together as a group, or we could even start a little RFGeneration village. Alone or together, you can play as you like. The idea is that then we can share screenshots of what we've been doing here on the thread and show off a little Smiley.

Week 2 - Gone Home:

Oh right there are other games to play along with Minecraft laugh. Gone Home is a story based exploration game where you've come home from a trip to find your family home empty. As you walk through the house you discover bits of the story of your sister's life told with her voice through diary entries, and you start to piece together what happened. The story is unconventional but moving and the game as a whole is very atmospheric.

Week 3 - The Stanley Parable:

One day Stanley arrived at work and realized that something was different. All his coworkers were gone. Explore the office with Stanley and RFGeneration this month to find out what happened...if the laws of physics in this game would stop breaking and actually let you. Mind bending and hilarious, with a narrator straight out of something from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, this game is sure to make you laugh.

Week 4 - Dear Esther:

"I’ve begun my voyage in a paper boat without a bottom; I will fly to the moon in it. I have been folded along a crease in time, a weakness in the sheet of life."

Dear Esther is an eerie journey around an abandoned island where you listen to a story narrated by someone who is possibly not in their right mind. Is the voice your own? Or is it this Jacobson he keeps mentioning. What happened on the stretch of highway? Where is this island anyway. This game will leave you with as many questions as answers, and each of us will experience it slightly differently. The story is semi-randomized which means that each time you play it the dialogue will be different or added on to, mixed in with what you've already heard before.

Achievements:
    TBA

Participants:
    Disposed Hero
    Fleach
    h1ghw1nd
    noiseredux
    singlebanana
    SirPsycho
    techwizard[/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:16:35 AM by techwizard » Logged
    Boshamp
    Donor
    United States

Stats
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »

I am not a creative person, so I played it just for the achievements and not really to build anything specifically, but I do have Minecraft on the X360 and would be happy to help someone build something or whore achievements for it. (I already have a track built for the "I'm on a rail" cheevo if anyone wants to avoid having to farm the gold and iron, smelting it and laying all that track.)

Disposed Hero
    RFG Moderator
    United States
    Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
    « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »

You can sign me up for this one.  I'll probably sit out on Minecraft (it never really caught my interest.  seems like the kind of addictive time-sink I don't want in my life), but I'll play the other three games.

Also, a heads up for anybody interested in participating in this playthrough:  the Steam Summer Sale is currently going on, so you can probably get these games dirt cheap whenever they show up as a daily or flash sale.

Shadow Kisuragi
    Variant Collector
    Director
    United States
    Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
    « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:34:53 PM »

Minecraft server hosted on PC?

techwizard
    RFG Moderator
    Canada

Stats
    « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »

Minecraft server hosted on PC?

that's the plan Smiley i already host a server for a few friends now and then but i plan on trying to leave my PC up and running for the month so people can drop in and out whenever they please, maybe we could get some group building projects going on. it would be more direct community playing than just discussing the game here.

that's the reason why i'm highly suggesting playing minecraft on PC, not just because it has no limits like the console versions, but that if you did it on PC you can jump in more easily with the rest of us. console is still an option though and the essentials are the same so it'll still add to discussion here, but i'm really hoping for the community playing together not just talking about it.
    Disposed Hero
    RFG Moderator
    United States

Stats
    « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »

Hmm...that sounds pretty interesting.  I might make an effort to stop in the Minecraft server and see what all the fuss is about.

techwizard
    RFG Moderator
    Canada

Stats
    « Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »

Boshamp should i add you to the participants list or were you just offering to help out others who might join?
    Fleach
    Blog Writer
    Canada

Stats
    « Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:20:08 PM »

I'll join for sure!

Heads up, everyone! Gone Home is $2.99 (85% off) for the next 5 hours.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
    Disposed Hero
    RFG Moderator
    United States

Stats
    « Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »

Awesome, now the only game I need is The Stanley Parable and I'll be set.  I know it was a daily/flash sale the other day, here's hoping it goes on sale again!

Fleach
    Blog Writer
    Canada

Stats
    « Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 10:54:11 PM »

Even if you buy it at the normal price, The Stanley Parable is worth it. It's got tons of existential commentary  Douglas Adams style humour.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
    Boshamp
    Donor
    United States

Stats
    « Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »

More just offering to help with the X360 achievements. Anyone who wants help with those can either PM me on here or on the 360 at Boshamp33. I wouldn't add me to the formal participants list for this one. I will be focused on the Retro.

Disposed Hero
    RFG Moderator
    United States

Stats
    « Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »

Even if you buy it at the normal price, The Stanley Parable is worth it. It's got tons of existential commentary  Douglas Adams style humour.

I'll buy it on the last day of the sale regardless, but it'll probably show up again as a flash/daily sale before then.  No sense paying more than I have to!  Smiley

SirPsycho
    Naked Koei Dude
    Blog Writer
    United States

Stats
    « Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 09:15:22 AM »

Will Minecraft be running any mods? Because I'm running the Feed the Beast Launcher with Hatpack and some other stuff.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
    techwizard
    RFG Moderator
    Canada

Stats
    « Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »

Will Minecraft be running any mods? Because I'm running the Feed the Beast Launcher with Hatpack and some other stuff.

i'm generally not a big fan of mods, but i've been using a mapping mod that's really useful. for starters i'll just leave it completely vanilla, at least to give the new players a chance to understand the basics, then we could probably bring in some mods if everyone is willing to try them later.
    techwizard
    RFG Moderator
    Canada

Stats
    « Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 02:17:55 AM »

oh one thing i should mention is that other than minecraft which is essentially endless the other three games this month are extremely short. so if you're thinking you might not have time to play these along with chrono trigger, you don't have to worry that much.

Dear Esther and The Stanley Parable can be beaten in under one hour if you choose to only play them once (you get a lot more out of them by playing multiple times though).

Gone Home is about 1.5 - 3 hours depending on how much you like to explore and mess around.
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
    « previous next »
    Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length