RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:44:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July Retro Community Playthrough - Chrono Trigger 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: July Retro Community Playthrough - Chrono Trigger  (Read 36022 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »

Do you have a Wii? Chrono Trigger is on the Virtual Console.

The checkpoint for Week 3 is up now.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2014, 12:42:56 PM »

I wouldn't know the first thing about how to use those or which are legal.

none of them are legal Tongue
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2014, 04:47:04 PM »

I wouldn't know the first thing about how to use those or which are legal.

none of them are legal Tongue

Well, there you go. ha ha

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2014, 02:14:15 AM »

Found it!

In the words of Mario: "Here we go!"

Edit: What an awesome opening scene on the Playstation. I was only able to start before passing out in my chair. I didn't get to a save point before that time came, so I will repeat it, but that is something I have become used to with as much as I love RPGs and as long as I have played them over the years. I am glad they released this on the Playstation, DS and in digital form. Just from the first hour or so, this feels like a game everyone should play, even if you cannot afford the SNES version. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:57:04 AM by Boshamp » Logged

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2014, 04:07:23 AM »

The Magus battle is awesome, and one of my all-time favourite RPG showdowns (as well as the theme).

BTW, in the DS version...
Spoiler (hover to show)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2014, 07:29:07 AM »

Raidou - I noticed that as well. Wasn't sure if that was intended.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »

How's everyone doing with the game? As I already mentioned I fell behind and just started the fight with Magus. Holy cow, he's giving me a tough time.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2014, 03:45:13 PM »

The Magus battle is awesome, and one of my all-time favourite RPG showdowns (as well as the theme).

YES!  That part is so epic.  The lead up to the battle, and then that awesome theme starts.  One of the best parts of the game.

How's everyone doing with the game? As I already mentioned I fell behind and just started the fight with Magus. Holy cow, he's giving me a tough time.

Still chipping away at the optional sidequests.  As much as I love this game, I really feel like the sidequests at the end were tacked on and feel pretty shallow compared to the rest of the game.  They have their moments though where they add a bit to the plot and give some closure to the characters' individual stories.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »

Still loving this game.   Sorry I haven't posted much in the past week, but I'm still thoroughly enjoying it.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2014, 10:01:25 PM »

I just got to Mt. Woe so I'm not too far from the checkpoint. It feels good to be on track again.

How's everyone doing? Who's in your teams?

Surprisingly this is the first time I'm playing Chrono Trigger (I'd played it before very briefly on the Big E) and I'm floored by the elegant pixel art. A lot of the locations look stunning. My team consists of Chrono, Frog, and either Ayla or Lucca depending on if I need a fire magic person.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2014, 02:26:38 AM »

I started this today and saved about 1 hour in. As much as i'd love to play on the original, it's just too expensive for me to justify when i'm really not a big snes guy. so i picked up the DS version for $30 CIB, and really like it so far! there are some options to make the port more like the original in terms of interface, so the combat system i have in classic mode for now (might try DS mode later). It's not too heavy in the anime cutscenes so far besides the intro video, which is nice. it even has an option to disable the anime cutscenes if i want to, but for now i'm fine with leaving them on.
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »

I have just...
Spoiler (hover to show)

So I am almost up to the week 3 checkpoint.  My team usually consists of Crono, Frog & Marle because I have Arc Frost, Glacier Burst and 2 healers, although I am swapping Ayla in more often now she has Charm (and an 'Alluring Top' which seems somewhat redundant).  I also want to level her up...

Surprisingly this is the first time I'm playing Chrono Trigger (I'd played it before very briefly on the Big E) and I'm floored by the elegant pixel art.

The only SNES game I can think of that comes close to this in artistic quality is Bahamut Lagoon.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »

Surprisingly this is the first time I'm playing Chrono Trigger (I'd played it before very briefly on the Big E) and I'm floored by the elegant pixel art.

The only SNES game I can think of that comes close to this in artistic quality is Bahamut Lagoon.

Time to look up a repro. I don't think that was release here.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2014, 09:18:39 AM »

Something to note, as many initial playthroughs somehow end up with similar parties, but Robo/Lucca party can be more powerful than Marle/Frog. Lucca's later Fire spells are some of the best in the game, and Robo's healing is almost on par with Marle (besides the Life spell).

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »

I finished Chrono Trigger last night.  It's always great to revisit this classic.  I ended up getting the "Beyond Time" ending, which seems to be the standard good ending in the game.  I might go back and see if I can get the "Dream Project" ending since it shouldn't take too long, assuming my New Game+ levels are high enough.

I used everybody pretty much equally until I learned all of their techs, then my main endgame party ended up being (you might not want to look at the spoiler if you haven't beaten the game before.  A couple of the characters could be considered spoilers at this point in the playthrough)
Spoiler (hover to show)
  This group is awesome for dealing high damage.  The biggest downside is that none of them are healers, but I had so many Elixers and a good handful of Megalixers after doing all of the sidequests that it wasn't an issue.

And it probably goes without saying, but the soundtrack to this game is awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length