RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:50:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Skylanders in the Db talk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Skylanders in the Db talk  (Read 28178 times)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:25:45 PM »

I'm not even remotely into the skylanders stuff or Infinity, but it does make sense to me for tracking purposes. From what I can understand, they are basically little controllers, right? They each have UPCs/Part numbers to track, what is the reason why we aren't tracking them as Video Game Hardware? Did I miss a big debate or is it more simple than that?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:18:57 PM by Tynstar » Logged

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »

No one ever said they could not be tracked.

They certainly would be covered under the multiple consoles listing for hardware Wink

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »

No one ever said they could not be tracked.

They certainly would be covered under the multiple consoles listing for hardware Wink

No we said somewhere not to add them. We dont track DLC and they are basically DLC. Again just because it has something todo with a video game doesnt mean we need to track it. When that becomes the case I am totally adding my Pac-Man cereal.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:51:17 PM »

I stand corrected.

Make your own excel sheets Tongue

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:11:22 AM »

I can see the debate. Although I disagree with comparing them to DLC. They are more like R.O.B. or other single game specific accessories. I agree about not tracking digital content, but a physical peripheral that is basically a controller specifically for their respective games would logically be different from digital add-ons to physical games. Then again, my argument comes from my personal feelings about digital content and not from experience on the matter; I am sure at least two of you guys have already been back and forth on the subject.

On a note more specific to the topic of the forum, I have hit 2150 total unique software titles and am getting close to being organized enough to where I am looking to start selling/trading off dups.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »

I completely disagree with you. They add a character to a game after you buy it. Just like downloaded content. ROB is a controller not a character.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »

So you don't have to physically put the "controller" on the control pad to use the character each time? It is just like a download code, but instead of being on a card you toss after use, it is an action figure too?

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 01:45:29 PM »

So you don't have to physically put the "controller" on the control pad to use the character each time? It is just like a download code, but instead of being on a card you toss after use, it is an action figure too?

Skylanders are more like a memory card than a controller. You have the have them on the portal to use them, but as soon as you take them off they no longer exist in that game (unlike DLC in which you enter the code and it stays on your system). The characters data (level, moveset, equipment) all are saved to the actual figure as well, so that you can take them to your buddies house and still have your character. I think they should be added to the database as an accessory.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 03:53:39 PM »

i agree with adding them in especially after crabby's description. there are DS carrying cases and game cases in the database, as well as system cables...why not these? just because there's an added digital element doesn't make the physical action figure irrelevant, especially when it can connect and interact with the game.

(btw maybe these posts should all be split into their own topic?)
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »

There are already 1000's pf items in the DB that shouldnt be in there. We dont need to add 100's more. I collect Disney Infinity figures also so I could understand why you want to track them. I am sticking with they are no more then DLC. 

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »

There are already 1000's pf items in the DB that shouldnt be in there. We dont need to add 100's more. I collect Disney Infinity figures also so I could understand why you want to track them. I am sticking with they are no more then DLC. 

I get why you don't want them in the database, but the DLC comparison is very wrong.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »

How so? It is a add-on for the game? You just dont download it. Thats the only difference to me.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »

How so? It is a add-on for the game? You just dont download it. Thats the only difference to me.

Because it behaves like an accessory that can store  your game's information. Much like a memory card, which I think definitely has a place in this database.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 06:20:52 PM »

Well based on the poorly composed title i am guessing Tynstar split this topic?

IMO they have a place in the DB. (OR MAYBE THEIR OWN DATABASE!?!?!? I love more databases Tongue )

Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 06:33:21 PM »

For the mobile games, where you can actually purchase or enter the code for a character to play like DLC, I understand the argument.  For the figures that you physically change-out on the portal to play, they should be added as accessories.  Comparing to R.O.B. is a decent example.  Gyromite is virtually unplayable without him, unless you can find a really bored friend, like Skylanders is absolutely unplayable without a physical figure on the portal.  The game just stares at you, "Anytime, bud.".  Donkey Kong 64 is unplayable without the Expansion Pak, and that is in the database as an accessory.  Wii Sports Resort will not allow you to play without a Wii Motion Plus controller that is in the database.  There are other examples, but I consider the figures more than add-ons.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length