RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:57:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  (Read 70385 times)
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #225 on: October 17, 2014, 09:35:18 PM »

Finished the game tonight. I love this game so much. It was just as much fun to play through now, as it was in my late teens.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »

Started another play through and I picked up a New York style pizza.  Can't say I remember picking this up before but weird things like this are one of the things I like about this game.

[img width=700 height=414]http://oi60.tinypic.com/2i6dyx2.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:05:21 PM by Slowman » Logged

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »

Congrats on finishing Mike!

Onward to the Chicago style deep dish Slowman.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »

those who finished already should go check out Alan Wake if you're interested Smiley it's really great and deserves more attention than it's getting right now.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #229 on: October 19, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »

Started another play through and I picked up a New York style pizza.  Can't say I remember picking this up before but weird things like this are one of the things I like about this game.

Heh I just grabbed the pizza too.  But I'm not nearly as far as most of you guys.  I still havent reached the inverted castle.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #230 on: October 19, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »

Heh I just grabbed the pizza too.  But I'm not nearly as far as most of you guys.  I still havent reached the inverted castle.

the inverted castle can be difficult at times but for the most part isn't that bad, mainly because you already know your way around it more or less.
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #231 on: October 19, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »

so I got the gravity boots....I don't feel like I'm jumping any higher than normal.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #232 on: October 19, 2014, 10:34:45 PM »

so I got the gravity boots....I don't feel like I'm jumping any higher than normal.

we talked about that on the podcast segment that we just recorded the other day actually...and off the top of my head i can't remember what it was about them, but they're not a passive ability, you have to "use" them. GrayGhost or singlebanana could help you out.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #233 on: October 19, 2014, 10:44:50 PM »

Press Up and Jump at the same time. Let me know how that works for you.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2014, 12:14:38 AM »

Ahh got it.  It's kinda useless now though she I already have Soul of Bat.

I'm pretty stuck now too.  I don't want to consult a walkthrough but I don't have a ton of spare time I can devote to aimless wandering.

We're passed the checkpoint now so I assume I can ask the question outright, do I have to have a certain percentage to reach the inverted castle?

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2014, 02:01:46 AM »

I'm pretty stuck now too.  I don't want to consult a walkthrough but I don't have a ton of spare time I can devote to aimless wandering.

We're passed the checkpoint now so I assume I can ask the question outright, do I have to have a certain percentage to reach the inverted castle?

nope! you need a pair of items which you wear in a certain room, and that will activate a new path while gives you another item. at that point you go fight Richter while wearing said item and it will give you access to the inverted castle when you win that fight (without killing Richter)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:25 AM »

Press Up and Jump at the same time. Let me know how that works for you.
Down, up, then jump.

Rare drop from a Frog.

nope! you need a pair of items which you wear in a certain room
You might have these items and not even realize it. If not, you need to explore the normal castle more.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:50:13 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2014, 06:25:14 AM »

I think it's far enough along to reveal a few tricks without spoilers.

- Some of the better swords in the game have a command attack. Do a quarter-circle forward motion and press attack and you'll get a better attack at the expense of some magic.

- At the Outer Wall (the farthest east point in the normal castle) there is a passage which you need the mist to pass. Instead of waiting to get the mist, you can reach this room very early. In the room above it, you can break a wall and stand in the nook and hold down (or maybe up) for 6 seconds and an elevator will pull you into the secret room.

- If you go to the room underneath the Librarian in the normal castle, there is a slim passage in the ceiling and you can use the gravity boots directly under the Librarian's chair and bump him into the air. Do this several times and he'll drop a Max Life Up, Dracula's Tunic, Axelord Armor, and a Ring of Arcana.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #238 on: October 20, 2014, 08:05:01 AM »

Ahh got it.  It's kinda useless now though she I already have Soul of Bat.

I'm pretty stuck now too.  I don't want to consult a walkthrough but I don't have a ton of spare time I can devote to aimless wandering.

I suggest checking a walkthrough in terms of getting to the inverted castle. It's a little daunting to figure it out without doing so, or already knowing. I mentioned this on the thread around the time I posted the second checkpoint. I will post the process here, since I really don't consider this a spoiler as everyone needs to do this to finish the game:

You will need to obtain the Silver Ring (NW corner of castle past spikes, may need to equip Spike Breaker armor, which is in lower SE corner of castle) and Gold Ring (earned after killing Succubus in Nightmare sequence) to open up the floor in the clock room. You have to equip both rings to open the floor. Once you open the floor, Maria will give you the Holy Glasses, which you will equip when battling Richter. With the glasses, you will be able to see a floating orb, attack this instead of Richter and after this fight, you will be able to access the inverted castle.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #239 on: October 20, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »

Forgot the mention, I beat it last night. Didn't get 200.6%, there are a few boxes in the water in the inverted underground caverns that I can't figure out/remember how to reach.

Now I'm trying the Richter quest for the first time. I'm guessing you can finish it within an hour since I've reached the inverted castle in about 20 minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length