RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:32:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  (Read 69864 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2014, 10:44:15 AM »

Glad to see so many people finishing the game and glad that everyone seems to be enjoying it. I have posted the last checkpoint for the game in the initial thread (should be obvious though).

If anyone needs help with the game, please be sure to post it on the forum. There are some seasoned SotN players on here and I know everyone is happy to answer your questions. I'd like to see everyone finish before the month is up.

On a side note, techwizard, GrayGhost81, and I recorded the podcast for this game this past Friday. The conversation we had on the game was awesome and we hope that all of you will listen to it when it comes out in early November.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2014, 12:31:08 PM »

If anyone needs help with the game, please be sure to post it on the forum. There are some seasoned SotN players on here and I know everyone is happy to answer your questions.
I fully agree. I'd much rather help someone here than for them to read a walkthrough. It keeps the discussion flowing.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »

My favorite reason for playing with you guys is the discussion as the game progresses. It gives me nostalgia for the times I sat with my brothers and we watched each other play. I get the same feel on both sides, whether I am the greenhorn or the veteran on the game we play. Smiley

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »

Ahh got it.  It's kinda useless now though she I already have Soul of Bat.

I'm pretty stuck now too.  I don't want to consult a walkthrough but I don't have a ton of spare time I can devote to aimless wandering.

We're passed the checkpoint now so I assume I can ask the question outright, do I have to have a certain percentage to reach the inverted castle?

I suggest checking a walkthrough in terms of getting to the inverted castle. It's a little daunting to figure it out without doing so, or already knowing. I mentioned this on the thread around the time I posted the second checkpoint. I will post the process here, since I really don't consider this a spoiler as everyone needs to do this to finish the game:

You will need to obtain the Silver Ring (NW corner of castle past spikes, may need to equip Spike Breaker armor, which is in lower SE corner of castle) and Gold Ring (earned after killing Succubus in Nightmare sequence) to open up the floor in the clock room. You have to equip both rings to open the floor. Once you open the floor, Maria will give you the Holy Glasses, which you will equip when battling Richter. With the glasses, you will be able to see a floating orb, attack this instead of Richter and after this fight, you will be able to access the inverted castle.

How are you supposed to figure that out?  That's like the cryptic stuff in Simon's Quest.  Anyhoo I have both of those things Smiley time to waste more of my day off when I should be doing something more productive

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »

Waste?? I know I just didn't hear that. Wink

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:11 PM »

How are you supposed to figure that out?  That's like the cryptic stuff in Simon's Quest. 
I respectfully disagree, it's not that difficult. The game gives you a map and fills it out for you. If you've explored the entire map, then you should have all the items. The items have descriptions.

I suppose knowing that you have to wear the Holy Glasses while fighting Richter is slightly tricky, but whenever there is a cut scene and then you receive an item, it's safe to say that the item is pretty important.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »

How are you supposed to figure that out?  That's like the cryptic stuff in Simon's Quest. 
I respectfully disagree, it's not that difficult. The game gives you a map and fills it out for you. If you've explored the entire map, then you should have all the items. The items have descriptions.

I suppose knowing that you have to wear the Holy Glasses while fighting Richter is slightly tricky, but whenever there is a cut scene and then you receive an item, it's safe to say that the item is pretty important.

Plus, before handing you the Holy Glasses Maria states that someone must be controlling Richter and to not harm him. She gives you the glasses and continues, "If you wear these, you can see beyond evil illusions." All of this in the same conversation. I agree, it may be slightly tricky, but there are enough hints everywhere to make what you are suppose to do known.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »

the only thing i needed a walkthrough for in the normal castle was figuring out what room exactly i needed to be in when i wore the rings. i was a bit confused about where the clock tower was, and didn't want to explore the entire castle wearing them. other than that the rest is pretty straightforward if you pay attention to item descriptions and watch what people say in cutscenes.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »

I have experienced a lot more in games that don't offer any hints, (Suikoden had me questioning some of the 108 stars in terms of learning how to get them). I feel this trail of events was pretty straightforward, as I haven't needed a guide to get a full playthrough for this game, then again, it may just my habits of checking every corner of every screen in RPGs that caused this to be more apparent.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »

the only thing i needed a walkthrough for in the normal castle was figuring out what room exactly i needed to be in when i wore the rings. i was a bit confused about where the clock tower was, and didn't want to explore the entire castle wearing them. other than that the rest is pretty straightforward if you pay attention to item descriptions and watch what people say in cutscenes.

I agree with this techwizard and I think we talk about it a little in the podcast. The "Clock Tower" level is a staple of Castlevania games and usually includes the gear rooms (with those f@#king Medusa heads) and the pendulums, which these sort of rooms are actually located toward the NE corner of the map in this game. "Clock Room" might have been a better hint for the rings. However, being the only room with an actual clock, besides the rooms to the left and right of it, it's not a huge jump in logic.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »

I wouldn't say it's that easy either.  It's a huge map and it's really easy to overlook an item or to move past something you'd never think to back track to.

I probably could have figured out most of the puzzles on my own (and have for the most part) , but like I said I have time constraints and can't spend hours whipping every wall and exhausting every possibility until I get lucky.

I reached the inverted castle, and the difficulty level has noticeably ramped up.  It's a new game again!

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2014, 11:10:16 PM »

My favorite part, I love it when stuff is actually hard...(Not like a lot of today's games, where they keep it low to guarantee people will play). I make a direct line to the Alucard Shield every time now I enter the reverse castle though, so it doesn't stay hard for too long.

Anyone develop a quick way to kill
Spoiler (hover to show)
? I always take a solid 10-15 to get him done and am wondering if any of you found a way to get the job done without climbing up and jumping down for every hit?

Also, anyone have any thoughts on the Reverse Coliseum boss fight?
Spoiler (hover to show)

Finally, anyone know what that shuriken-type thing that occasionally flies out of the shield rod is? I deals no damage and just sits there. To this day I haven't understood it...and the shield rod is all I ever use once I get it. (Jewel Knuckles otherwise)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:14:37 PM by Boshamp » Logged

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #252 on: October 21, 2014, 07:15:32 AM »

the only thing i needed a walkthrough for in the normal castle was figuring out what room exactly i needed to be in when i wore the rings. i was a bit confused about where the clock tower was
You're right about that. The "Clock Tower" is a completely different area than where you wear the rings. The Clock Tower is with the Medusa Heads and the gears you can jump on. I think when I was younger I accidentally assumed the Clock Room was the Clock Tower.

Anyone develop a quick way to kill......
Also, anyone have any thoughts on the Reverse Coliseum boss fight?
Finally, anyone know what that shuriken-type thing that occasionally flies out of the shield rod is? I deals no damage and just sits there. To this day I haven't understood it...and the shield rod is all I ever use once I get it. (Jewel Knuckles otherwise)
I have not developed a quick way to kill him. I guess the Axe would be a good sub weapon but I usually don't carry that. If you go to the librarian and buy the Tactics for that boss, the video shows
Spoiler (hover to show)

No real thoughts on the reverse Coliseum fight, I've barely played that game. I guess it's just a tribute.

I have no idea what that little shuriken thingy but I've been wondering the same thing.
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #253 on: October 21, 2014, 07:34:57 AM »

I'd like to discuss 2 things.

1 - I mentioned the Confession Room a few pages ago but no one commented. I think it's a very strange area. The music is very eerie and religion has always been kinda taboo in US gaming. It's almost feels like it's separate from the game. Why would Dracula have a Confession Room in his castle anyway? I'm not sure what the message is, but I think there is something to it. Also, when you sit in the chairs and the results? I don't know...I just think there is a lot of symbolism and metaphoric value with that room.

2 - I have to assume that a lot of people have been using the Shield Rod combo because no one has mentioned the insanely difficult
Spoiler (hover to show)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2014, 08:02:54 AM »

Uh yeah, here's a tip for killing every boss in the inverted castle easily (even Beelzebub).

Spoiler (hover to show)

I agree with RetroRage in that it's not easy to get to the inverted castle, yet I don't feel like it's overbearing or super difficult at all. With that said, I understand that people have limited time in a month and have encouraged that those who have not played it before consult a playthrough or ask for advice here. Maybe it's my age and the fact that the only game I owned for my NES for 6 months was Metroid, but compared to other games of the prior eras, the inverted castle puzzle in SotN is a cakewalk. Hidden paths/items is what made games like this fun when I was growing up, finding all of these little intricate surprises, extra rooms, weapon uses, etc.  Plus, there was excellent replay value, which is still very high in this game today.

My feeling is that developers wanted games to last longer back then, before figuring out that there was more money to be made in making games more straight-forward. When players finish quicker, they are in line sooner for a new $60+ game and if games are a little easier, it certainly increases the audience.

To take a turn at your questions Jerry:

1 - Religion has always played a heavy role in vampire lore, so churches and especially Catholicism typically show up. The Crusades played an intricate part in the Dracula story and the tie in with blood and flesh as sacrament play kind of a dual role in good and evil. Dracula is a conflicted character, as is evident in this story as well, so even though religion is thought to be his adversary, his human side still longs for some kinds of earthly presence. Another explanation might be that since Dracula was a human prior to being turned, the castle and Confession Room/Sacred area was more than likely created before he was turned.

2 - That was not my strategy at all for this battle, I
Spoiler (hover to show)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:06:13 AM by singlebanana » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length