RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:46:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Print
Author Topic: October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  (Read 69823 times)
Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »

Anyone develop a quick way to kill
Spoiler (hover to show)
I always take a solid 10-15 to get him done and am wondering if any of you found a way to get the job done without climbing up and jumping down for every hit.

Yes, I use the bat form's Wing Smash ability.  Go left and right through the core a few times and that fight is over in less than 30 seconds.  Same strategy I use when I fight Granfalloon.  You could also use the Shield Rod + Skull Shield combo for it's laser blast.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:30:51 AM by singlebanana » Logged

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »

I had no idea that would do so much damage. I don't think I have picked up the skull shield before either. Is the laser blast similar to the one the nova skeletons fire?

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »

@ Banana - I didn't know that piece of equipment did that. The item I was referring to was
Spoiler (hover to show)

Re: Confession Room - I guess I really don't know a lot about Dracula, just what Castlevania taught me. I didn't think about his human side. I didn't even know he was human once, I just thought he was the original vampire king.

Here's what I've always thought of when you sit...
When you sit in the priests chair and the woman comes to confess, Alucard is not holy enough to relieve her of her sins so her sins attack Alucard.
When you sit on the other side, there are 2 outcomes. The priest attacks you or blesses you. I'm not sure if this is random or not, but I think it's because Alucard is good in nature, but he also has evil blood in him. Maybe it's based on time of day like the Sun Stone and the Moon Stone is.

Or maybe I'm over thinking this way too much and they are just monsters in disguise.
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »

Is the laser blast similar to the one the nova skeletons fire?
I think it's longer and more narrow.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »

I agree with RetroRage in that it's not easy to get to the inverted castle, yet I don't feel like it's overbearing or super difficult at all. With that said, I understand that people have limited time in a month and have encouraged that those who have not played it before consult a playthrough or ask for advice here. Maybe it's my age and the fact that the only game I owned for my NES for 6 months was Metroid, but compared to other games of the prior eras, the inverted castle puzzle in SotN is a cakewalk. Hidden paths/items is what made games like this fun when I was growing up, finding all of these little intricate surprises, extra rooms, weapon uses, etc.  Plus, there was excellent replay value, which is still very high in this game today.

My feeling is that developers wanted games to last longer back then, before figuring out that there was more money to be made in making games more straight-forward. When players finish quicker, they are in line sooner for a new $60+ game and if games are a little easier, it certainly increases the audience.

I completely agree with you and its why Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time.  the exploration of an enormous world with a complete absense of tutorials is what made the game so great.  The sequence breaking too.  As soon as I learned the special techniques and figured out how to navigate through environments at times that werent intended made the game brand new again.  I can't tell you how excited I am to play that game next month.

And to be honest I felt dirty consulting a walkthrough.  I never like using those things because it removes the satisfaction of figuring out puzzles on your own.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:39:15 PM by RetroRage » Logged

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »

@ Jerry Greenwood

the item you are referring to is:

Spoiler (hover to show)

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »

And to be honest I felt dirty consulting a walkthrough.  I never like using those things because it removes the satisfaction of figuring out puzzles on your own.

Two words: Lufia II

I spent DAYS as a young child trying desperately to figure some of the puzzles in that game out. No walkthroughs growing up, so I really didn't have a choice but to struggle, but I much preferred having my brother and our friends over to put our heads together to try to figure some of them out instead of just being able to pull up GameFaqs and have the answer spelled out for me. Smiley

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #262 on: October 22, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »

@ Engineer Mike - Good call. Now that you bring it up, I vaguely remember that.

Before this discussion is put to rest in about a week, I'd like to bring up some of the flaws in this game.

1 - I hate using items. It's a pain to go to the menu, scan through all the BS to find a potion, return to the game to use it, go back to the menu and re-equip whatever you were using. It could've been much simpler.

2 - To piggyback off of that, I would've liked separate menus for things like weapons, shields, and items. Not one inclusive menu for everything handheld. I can't remember if PS has an organizer button, but the Xbox version doesn't have one. All of my items and weapons are mixed up. Bad menus.

3 -
Spoiler (hover to show)

4 - This might only be an Xbox thing or my TV, but I thought the sound effects level was too high and the music was too low. I didn't see an option to adjust the levels.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:14:27 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »

All valid points of concern. Some of them we address in the podcast. Wink

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2014, 11:15:34 PM »

So I got to the inverted castle...and holy crap has the difficulty ramped up.  It reminds me of the first time I made it to the Dark World in A Link to the Past. 

I'm so happy I decided to join in for this playthrough.  This game is easily the best game I've played all year.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2014, 11:33:53 PM »

Same here. Not my first rodeo, but best game I have played this year. Haven't played much though...I really need to play the other Castlevania games...and the LoZ games now that you bring up my favorite of the few I have played. Only beaten one CV game (this one), and one LoZ...(the original)

REALLY looking forward to a new experience with Super Metroid once I get back home though. That will be a ton of fun. Smiley

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #266 on: October 23, 2014, 06:40:10 AM »

@RetroRage - As a long time fan of this game, I'm glad you're loving it. It's certainly in my top 10.

@Boshamp - Check out the first CV on the NES, just so you can see the roots. Most people don't like CVII, but I think it's brilliant. I think the general consensus is that Super Castlevania is the best. Castlevania - Hamrony of Despair (on Xbox Live and PSN) is easily my favorite download-only game. And what planet are you from?! Get off your ass and play some Zelda!   Smiley Smiley

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »

I know it causes a lot of dissension amongst fans of the series, but Castlevania II:SQ for NES is my favorite Castlevania for that platform.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #268 on: October 23, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »

@Jerry i didn't notice any sound issues on mine, the volume seemed balanced enough. does your tv have an equalizer? maybe it's set out of wack
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #269 on: October 23, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »

@RetroRage - As a long time fan of this game, I'm glad you're loving it. It's certainly in my top 10.

@Boshamp - Check out the first CV on the NES, just so you can see the roots. Most people don't like CVII, but I think it's brilliant. I think the general consensus is that Super Castlevania is the best. Castlevania - Hamrony of Despair (on Xbox Live and PSN) is easily my favorite download-only game. And what planet are you from?! Get off your ass and play some Zelda!   Smiley Smiley

Given its ties to this game, I would want to go for CV III to see Alucard again with his "team". I plan to get a lot more played next year, but with my new position and hours, might be a lot more difficult in practice than in theory.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length