RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:38:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Modern Playthrough - Alan Wake 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: October Modern Playthrough - Alan Wake  (Read 8828 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »

I started The Signal yesterday but don't know if I'm going to play through it.  While I am interested to see the extra content, I'm finding the constant barrage of enemies to be pretty tedious and annoying to deal with.  I had the same frustrations with Episode 6 of the main game.  Maybe I'll just watch a playthrough on Youtube.

This was my initial problem with The Writer.  I think I had maybe thought my mad console skilz would translate better to the PC, then I got my butt handed to me with a side order of fries.  The Signal seems in contrast (so far) more relaxed, though harder than the main game.  Actually a few scenes remind me of the arcade missions in American Nightmare.

definitely costanza-like

Yes.  If it wasn't for the obvious deus ex machina in the game I would say that Barry comes about as close as you could get without having the guy float down from the rafters in a chariot.  I certainly thought he was a bit creepy in the beginning of the game, but that may have been more of a Pavlov's Dogs-like response to hearing the work "agent" in the game.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »

So I'm at the last boss in The Writer.  I'll be wrapping this up by tonight, I think.  All you other Barry fans should either play The Writer or watch a playthough of it.  It's a nice cap to the game.  A few thoughts on the main game in general:

- PC-wise, it does look better than the console version (particularly the lighting and particle effects), but not overly so.  True 1080p versus upscaled-to-1080p (on the consoles) doesn't look that different, in my opinion.

- I forced myself to play the entire game with mouse and keyboard.  Now I have trouble playing the game with a controller.

- I bought the game on a whim after hearing the people talking about it on podcasts. I was completely wowed the first time I played this game and talked it up to my friends.  I was a bit disappointed to see just how few of them played it.

- I was a bit bummed to hear that a true sequel was not to be (at least not anytime soon).  Even if there had been, I think it is unlikely that the game would have been so focused on running as the original game was.  You can see the progression to combat-focused in both the expansions and American Nightmare (save the path leading to the boss in The Writer), so the game likely would have been a disappointment to those looking for more of the "flee to the next light source" mechanic featured in the main game.

- Platforming in games like this should be outlawed.  Seriously.

- Despite what others have said, fans of the story should really check out American Nightmare.  While it is more combat focused, it at least does it better than the two DLC episodes (where the levels aren't necessarily geared to be combat-focused).

NOTE:  Just realized that I've mixed up The Signal and The Writer.  I'm actually playing The Writer (the last of the DLC).  I've corrected this is this post only.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:55:31 AM by bombatomba » Logged

- Han Solo
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »

I watched a PC playthrough. Can you give me more insight to The Signal (not sure I can recall exactly what this was)? You can send me a PM to avoid spoilers if that works better.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »

I watched a PC playthrough. Can you give me more insight to The Signal (not sure I can recall exactly what this was)? You can send me a PM to avoid spoilers if that works better.

PM sent.

- Han Solo
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length