RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:59:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid  (Read 43995 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 08:48:34 AM »

I too started playing early to help techwizard flesh out the checkpoints and of course we have to stay ahead, since we record the podcast around the 2-3 week of the month. I have to say that I am really enjoying this game. I have a pretty significant history with Metroid (NES), which I will save for the podcast, but ironically, I had never played Super Metroid until now. I have to agree with Retro Rage, I understand the popularity of the FPS, but I've always believed that the Metroid series should have never moved away from 2D platforming.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »

It's a wonder why Nintendo decided not to make more than they did.  There's only what, four 2d Metroid games?  I would have loved to have as many Metroids as there are Castlevanias

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 11:20:13 AM »

It's a wonder why Nintendo decided not to make more than they did.  There's only what, four 2d Metroid games?

Five. Er, maybe just four and a half, with Zero Mission. Other M is kinda mostly 2D.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:22:34 AM by EngineerMike » Logged

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »

as much as metroid feels good in 2D, the 3D games carried over a ton of elements from the 2D games and did it very well. don't bash them till you try them Wink
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 12:52:44 PM »

It's a wonder why Nintendo decided not to make more than they did.  There's only what, four 2d Metroid games?

Five. Er, maybe just four and a half, with Zero Mission. Other M is kinda mostly 2D.

Other M gets a bad rap because the story is mostly shite, but it's not an awful game.  I'm willing to give it another shot some time.

I'll give the Primes a try eventually.  I'll just have to look at them as something else completely.

Has anyone else started?  I've already defeated a couple bosses, but it's hard to say where I am for the checkpoint.  I'm not taking the intended route, and I'm not even sure what the route is anymore.

Spoiler (hover to show)

I'd be laughed off of twitch.tv if I streamed my Super Metroid "speed runs".

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »

if you're speed running then i wouldn't worry about checkpoints honestly Wink but the checkpoint should end
Spoiler (hover to show)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 06:25:08 PM »

been playing ahead, i foresee a couple boss fights that could cause some rage quits...
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 06:58:45 PM »

Retro - for fun, try RBO or Low % Ice. RBO is an experience that is a must if you're played through before, as it actually makes more sense story-wise.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »

aint no way I could do RBO Shadow.  I can't perform the quick shine spark, can barely mach ball, my wall jumps are ok at best, my damage boosting is weak...  I know what I need!  The Super Advantage joystick!

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »

aint no way I could do RBO Shadow.  I can't perform the quick shine spark, can barely mach ball, my wall jumps are ok at best, my damage boosting is weak...  I know what I need!  The Super Advantage joystick!

I should try doing all that with my Capcom stick.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »

I finished the game this evening. My first time through and logged just over 8 hours and 81% completion. Missed one energy tank and one reserve. The rest was bombs and missiles I assume.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2014, 08:18:29 PM »

been playing ahead, i foresee a couple boss fights that could cause some rage quits...

No problems with any bosses, but I did throw my controller a few times due to getting stuck in rooms with wall and space jump requirements.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 08:24:06 PM »

i should mention for those that don't know, the manual says that the ending you get is related to how fast you beat the game, not your completion percent. the faster you beat it, the better your ending.
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 09:41:24 PM »

No problems with any bosses, but I did throw my controller a few times due to getting stuck in rooms with wall and space jump requirements.

wall jump is terrible in this game, it's the one thing i really hate about it. everything else is great though, and i have no issue with space jump, unlimited jumping is fine by me.

just finished it too! me and rich are bad with following checkpoints this month Wink but it's hard to put this one down. maybe i'll actually have time to do system shock 2 as well.

clear time: 08:18
item percentage: 70%
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 12:10:02 AM »

I'll probably finish the game tomorrow, but I imagine I'll run through it 2 or 3 times.  My goal is to beat it in less than 2 hours

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length