RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 11:20:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid  (Read 45415 times)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2014, 06:09:29 PM »

Finished!

I couldn't take the picture in time, but my clear time was 1:27. 

I'm still working on my 100% run....I'm up to 93%.  I have no clue where the last few items are and I refuse to use a walkthrough to find them

wow! congrats!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2014, 10:31:18 AM »

Sequence breaking in SOTN, for one. Here are a few well-known ones:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/b...ony-of-the-night/52519205
Ahh, yes. I knew about those. I thought you meant more like the secret moves you can pull off in SM.

I'm still working on my 100% run....I'm up to 93%.  I have no clue where the last few items are and I refuse to use a walkthrough to find them
Wow, very fast! I think 97% was the highest I've ever gotten. When I was trying to hunt everything down, all of the stuff I missed was in Maridia and in the depths of Norfair. The other areas are pretty easy. There's one Super Missile in Maridia that is a pain in the ass to get.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »

Finished!

And.................. I hate you. Wink

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »

so who else has started this yet? we have 4 who've played out of 9 so far, but the month is still young Smiley
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2014, 10:39:51 PM »

Wow, very fast! I think 97% was the highest I've ever gotten. When I was trying to hunt everything down, all of the stuff I missed was in Maridia and in the depths of Norfair. The other areas are pretty easy. There's one Super Missile in Maridia that is a pain in the ass to get.

Yeah there's an area in Maridia that I always having trouble hunting down, but I think I know where it is now Smiley

Spoiler (hover to show)

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 01:57:17 AM »

Played yesterday for almost an hour of game time, and achieved the first checkpoint.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 08:25:27 AM »

Played yesterday for almost an hour of game time, and achieved the first checkpoint.

Nice! How are you enjoying it so far Mike?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »

I dig the heck out of 2D Metroidvania. This is a shining example of one of the SNES' greatest exploration platformers. I loved this game back in '94, and was happy to reacquire it for my collection in 2014. It's always fun to play, and I don't mind coming back to it every few years.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 01:27:28 PM »

You know, a big part of the reason I shied away from SM for so long is because I had always heard about how difficult it was. I have come to discover that this critique of the game is total bulls#%t! For the life of me, I can never understand why people go on and on about how difficult a game is when pretty much all of the tools are right there in front of them. Sure, you can explore a little more for additional missiles, bombs, and energy tanks, but to me, that's half the fun. Sure, I died a few times fighting some of the bosses/mini-bosses, but that's part of the game; I never felt that any of those fights were impossible, just that I needed to think about the fight a little and come in with a different strategy.   

I have been discussing the game with one of our newer members, MetalFRO, in PM (yes, he is playing this month too and I have pointed him to this thread) and he was touting how SM had a better "instant gratification" system as opposed to the NES original. I agree and think that SM is much more "linear??" (not the right word of course, but you get what I'm saying) than its predecessor. It's not hand-holding at all, it just lends itself more to pushing you in the right direction so that you never feel totally lost, like you sometimes do in the original. The maps are great and help you discover empty areas that may still need exploring and I like this new discoverable feature. These empty cells can often be the deciding factor as to where to go next and searching them usually turns up good results, whether it be access to a new area or supplemental items you may not have seen or been able to access earlier. The 5 usable menu items are also well-implemented into the game's structure and work in a very linear fashion to increase exploration.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »

Ran through it again.  I knew for sure I'd get a way better time than 1:27....well I got a better time...

[img width=700 height=933]http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w365/adsanislo/20141104_211023_zps3xrsiux1.jpg[/img]

:/

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »

@Nanners the fact that the game doesn't hold your hand at all is probably why most people are turned off to the game.  We live in the ADD age of tutorials with long winded dialogue, so new and younger gamers are going to be more lost than theyve ever been.  The atmosphere of SM is inteded to be desolate.  No communication, no friends, no tips or clues.  It's up to your critical thinking and ingenuity to get you through the game, and unfortunately a lot of people don't have patience for that.  Oddly enough the bosses arent really difficult at all, even with moderate supplies.  The exploration is whats killer.

Having said that though, I was very frustrated with the lack of direction the first time I ran through this game 20 years ago.  You feel like a rat in a maze.  But there's nothing more satisfying than figuring out a puzzle on your own, only to get stuck a few minutes later with an even more confusing puzzle.  And I think thats what makes the game so great.  At the time there was nothing like it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:34:57 PM by RetroRage » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »

@Nanners the fact that the game doesn't hold your hand at all is probably why most people are turned off to the game.  We live in the ADD age of tutorials with long winded dialogue, so new and younger gamers are going to be more lost than theyve ever been.  The atmosphere of SM is inteded to be desolate.  No communication, no friends, no tips or clues.  It's up to your critical thinking and ingenuity to get you through the game, and unfortunately a lot of people don't have patience for that.  Oddly enough the bosses arent really difficult at all, even with moderate supplies.  The exploration is whats killer.

Having said that though, I was very frustrated with the lack of direction the first time I ran through this game 20 years ago.  You feel like a rat in a maze.  But there's nothing more satisfying than figuring out a puzzle on your own, only to get stuck a few minutes later with an even more confusing puzzle.  And I think thats what makes the game so great.  At the time there was nothing like it.

+1 - completely agree with the age of the ADD gamer bit. I was honestly never frustrated with any part of this game and basically just went to areas that appeared unexplored on the map and used my x-ray scope quite often. Sure, there were times where I was stumped for a few minutes, but it didn't take much longer to get back on track. I'm just a little disappointed in myself for buying into comments that this game is TOO difficult.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »

I was 10 when I played the game for the first time in 1994.  It was very difficult for my young brain.  Or maybe I'm just a big dummy heh

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »

http://kotaku.com/the-kid...with-super-metr-507848662

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 09:19:47 AM »

I have been discussing the game with one of our newer members, MetalFRO, in PM (yes, he is playing this month too and I have pointed him to this thread) and he was touting how SM had a better "instant gratification" system as opposed to the NES original. I agree and think that SM is much more "linear??" (not the right word of course, but you get what I'm saying) than its predecessor. It's not hand-holding at all, it just lends itself more to pushing you in the right direction so that you never feel totally lost, like you sometimes do in the original. The maps are great and help you discover empty areas that may still need exploring and I like this new discoverable feature. These empty cells can often be the deciding factor as to where to go next and searching them usually turns up good results, whether it be access to a new area or supplemental items you may not have seen or been able to access earlier. The 5 usable menu items are also well-implemented into the game's structure and work in a very linear fashion to increase exploration.

Thanks for the mention - I'm just getting started with this game, and have about 3 1/2 hours of playtime thus far.  My current save is in Maridia, and I've reached the big lizard/slug boss that spits out stuff at you.  I haven't beat  him yet, but I know now what I need to do, I think:

Spoiler (hover to show)

Earlier in the game, I found the charge cannon, but I must have died before continuing onto the next area, so I don't have that weapon at this point.  Should I restart so I can go back and get it, or will I be okay without it?  Or is there a possibility I'll be able to backtrack later to snag it at some point?  In any event, I'm having fun, and can FINALLY say I'm playing through this game.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length