RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:40:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: November Retro Community Playthrough - Super Metroid  (Read 44006 times)
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »

Btw nanners and techwizard,

Spoiler (hover to show)

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 01:24:24 PM »

How to use Space Jump:

Spoiler (hover to show)

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »

what rich said, also related to that:
Spoiler (hover to show)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »

i'm really happy with the song used in brinstar depths:

because it was remixed for Prime 2 Echoes, one of my favourites in that soundtrack:
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »

I've played a 3D Metroid on the Wii and I was not a fan. I'm not a big fan of FPS so that's probably the reason I didn't like it, but it's not the same game.

Whenever a 2D game goes into the 3D world (like a Zelda or Castlevania), the entire dynamic changes. It might have the same characters and items and enemies, but the running around and jumping and combat are polar opposites. I'm not saying it's bad, but if you don't like 3D or FPS games, you probably won't like it.

If Nintendo still made 2D Metroid and Zelda games, I'd have a Wii.

@Tech, what problem did you have with the wall jump?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:37:17 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 08:36:44 AM »

Anyone else get started on the game this weekend?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »

Oh, forgot to mention my progress. I'm half way through.

I've been having a debate with myself about which game is better, this or SotN. I'm not talking about whether it more fun to shoot aliens in another galaxy or slash monsters in Dracula's castle. I'm focusing the design of the key items, rooms, and puzzles.

I think Super Metroid wins. SotN is a little more narrow. It's weird to say that about such a huge world, but it's really just about obtaining the Leap Stone and the Bat form. The majority of the puzzles in SotN is about being able to reach a higher platform. The other key items are usually only needed once, like the Spike Breaker, Bat Sonar, and the Mist form. To me, that's not very clever. SM couldn't be more different in this regard.

The variety of room design in SM is brilliant.
Spoiler (hover to show)

Super Metroid is one of the most creative, well-designed games ever made. I forgot how smart it is. Glad I'm playing it again.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 11:09:21 AM »

You start to love each game for what it provides once you learn to break the intended mechanics. Both are so intricately designed when you play them outside of their intended methods. If you're familiar with the game, try watching speedruns to see some of the mechanics in play and you'll grow to appreciate each game in a different way.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »

I agree, SM is very clever and well-designed. It seems that for the most part, all of the items are essential for moving through the game. I'd say that the
Spoiler (hover to show)
, while useful of course, isn't exactly "essential" except for maybe one part of the game. There are things like I better about each game, but will say that as far as replayability and fun, I'd go with SotN. I'd like to expound upon this comparison, but for the sake of the playthrough, I'll wait until month's end.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 11:59:52 AM »

Anyone else get started on the game this weekend?

I worked the night shift on the weekend. Just starting now, that its my weekend. 4 days off. should be able to reach the checkpoint.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »

@jerry greenwood, if it was Prime 3 Corruption, or Other M that you played, both of those are generally considered the worst in the series. try the original Metroid prime on gamecube, that one is really similar to super Metroid. Echoes is really good in the sense that it improves on a lot of systems that were a bit clunky in the first Prime, but overall I like the atmosphere and gameplay of Prime 1 better.
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 01:02:17 PM »

I'd like to expound upon this comparison, but for the sake of the playthrough, I'll wait until month's end.
Same.

You start to love each game for what it provides once you learn to break the intended mechanics. Both are so intricately designed when you play them outside of their intended methods.
Agreed, but more so with SM. Aside from playing as Richter or using the Luck code, I'm not sure what mechanics you'd be breaking in SotN.

@jerry greenwood, if it was Prime 3 Corruption, or Other M that you played, both of those are generally considered the worst in the series. try the original Metroid prime on gamecube, that one is really similar to super Metroid.
I played Prime 3 Corruption. I didn't know it was the black sheep. I'll give original Prime a go, thanks!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:04:16 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »

Sequence breaking in SOTN, for one. Here are a few well-known ones:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/b...ony-of-the-night/52519205

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »

@jerry greenwood, if it was Prime 3 Corruption, or Other M that you played, both of those are generally considered the worst in the series. try the original Metroid prime on gamecube, that one is really similar to super Metroid.
I played Prime 3 Corruption. I didn't know it was the black sheep. I'll give original Prime a go, thanks!

ya out of the Primes, 3 isn't great. it's much more linear I found, 1 and 2 are a lot closer to a true Metroid game in 3D. start with 1 though, you'll notice a lot of connections to Super Metroid.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »

Finished!

I couldn't take the picture in time, but my clear time was 1:27.  

I'm still working on my 100% run....I'm up to 93%.  I have no clue where the last few items are and I refuse to use a walkthrough to find them

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length