RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:24:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December Shmup Competition Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: December Shmup Competition Thread  (Read 74218 times)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »

I tend to go speed, option 1, shield, missile, double, option 2, and sneak in another speed up at some point in there. I'm surprised that I am the only one using double.

i don't have much experience in the first game but in 3 i always found double to not do as much damage as laser in one hit, and the weird angles it fires at makes it difficult to land both shots on one target.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2014, 10:41:41 PM »

I agree that it isn't as strong, but it saves my bacon enough to warrant it in my book. If I had the tail gun option from some of the other Gradius games, I would take it.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »

The double laser is very useful in level 4.  Stay low and it's smooth sailing

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2014, 12:20:39 AM »

This is where I'm at in Gradius at the moment:
[img width=700 height=525]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q388/MetalFRO/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/F9A7E2F6-D96D-4FC6-9797-77803742FA84.jpg[/img]

I missed the boat on NOT using a turbo controller, so I must confess that I used the NES Max on this run. But I got farther than I've ever seen in this game, so it gives me hope that I might be able to do well enough without the turbo. I'll post a pic in the next day or so once I've hit a nice score sans turbo.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2014, 12:41:22 AM »

the hint about dodging, staring at your own ship the whole time and only glancing at everything else, improved my game so much. one attempt using that strategy carried me all the way to the easter island head level. also duke's hint about how to deal with the volcano's helped heaps too!

* DSC03587.JPG (305.25 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 177 times.)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »

[img width=640 height=480]http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a420/JerryGreenwood/2014-12-03211534_zps2d924ac3.jpg[/img]

I got pretty deep in the game. I'm not sure which level because I think I did a warp after level 3.

Two nights ago I beat level 3 and went on to the next level like normal. Last night I beat level 3 and then the music changed and a bunch of Vectrex-like Moai heads came flying at me. After that passed, I think I went to level 5. It looked like the level that MetalFRO made it to.

If anyone can shed some light...
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2014, 08:48:41 AM »

I gave R-Type the college try last night, but I couldn't even come close to Retro's score so far. I may take another crack at it tonight. I really didn't like the game at first but got more enjoyment out of it as I got a little better at it.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2014, 08:52:22 AM »

This is where I'm at in Gradius at the moment:
[img width=700 height=525]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q388/MetalFRO/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/F9A7E2F6-D96D-4FC6-9797-77803742FA84.jpg[/img]

I missed the boat on NOT using a turbo controller, so I must confess that I used the NES Max on this run. But I got farther than I've ever seen in this game, so it gives me hope that I might be able to do well enough without the turbo. I'll post a pic in the next day or so once I've hit a nice score sans turbo.

That's one hell of a score!  More importantly though, thanks for your honesty on using the controller. I'm not posting this score of course, so be sure to submit another one(s) when you have them. Thanks for joining us.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2014, 08:56:39 AM »

I gave R-Type the college try last night, but I couldn't even come close to Retro's score so far. I may take another crack at it tonight. I really didn't like the game at first but got more enjoyment out of it as I got a little better at it.

Where's your score dude?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »

Where's your score dude?

You want me to post even if it's only a pitiful fraction of the current leading score?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2014, 09:07:10 AM »

Where's your score dude?

You want me to post even if it's only a pitiful fraction of the current leading score?

Sure, if a lot of people don't play this game, you'll acquire some overall points. You get at least 5 out of 10 points for playing each game.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »

I see. Reread the OP and I'm little clearer on it now. I'll give it another go and post before the end of the week.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2014, 02:10:49 PM »

More info on those warps........

Stage 1 warp: To activate the warp to stage 3, you must destroy each of the four hatches that appear on this stage when the thousands digit of your score is even. Of the four hatches, three are on the lower portion and one is on the upper portion.

Stage 2 warp: To activate the warp to stage 4, you must destroy the Big Core within two seconds of the core turning blue. This is only possible with very well placed shots from lasers.

Stage 3 warp: To activate the warp to stage 5, you must destroy 10 or more Moai statues. Use missiles to destroy bottom lying faces, and double-shot or options to destroy top lying faces.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »

More info on those warps........

Stage 1 warp: To activate the warp to stage 3, you must destroy each of the four hatches that appear on this stage when the thousands digit of your score is even. Of the four hatches, three are on the lower portion and one is on the upper portion.

Stage 2 warp: To activate the warp to stage 4, you must destroy the Big Core within two seconds of the core turning blue. This is only possible with very well placed shots from lasers.

Stage 3 warp: To activate the warp to stage 5, you must destroy 10 or more Moai statues. Use missiles to destroy bottom lying faces, and double-shot or options to destroy top lying faces.

thanks! i was wondering how the first one activated, so far i have yet to see the real level 2, i always get the warp.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »

I warped again last night and paid more attention to what the bonus was. I think I got 50,000 points. Does that seem right?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length