RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:58:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 27 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 27  (Read 16792 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »

Episode 27: Bloody Veins All Over My Screen  is live! YouTube version will be up tomorrow.

Can you guess what the episode title is referring to before listening to the show?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:06:15 AM by wildbil52 » Logged

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »

TOMORROW?!  Angry

Better watch out, or I'll Rush-pun this thread into submission, too!

I SWEAR TO EON I'LL DO IT!!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:34:15 PM by Zagnorch » Logged
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:03:29 AM »

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 01:23:07 AM »

Processing on YouTube now, so a little while longer...

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »

I 4 Bil

Btw people always butcher my last name for some reason.  Even friends I've had for 15 years still cant pronounce it correctly.  I think they do it on purpose now just to be a troll.

"If I were on a deserted island..." it would have to be 2d platforming/adventure games.  I couldnt live without Super Metroid or Zelda 2.

Manually ramping up the difficulty makes a huge difference in the fun factor.  For example Gears of War....it was a decent game on Normal, but on Hard it was way better.  The AI was much smarter so beating it was that much more satisfying.

"Groundhog Day games" I *dead* I hate *dead* I hate groundhog *dead* I hate groundhog day *dead* I hate groundhog day games *VICTORY!! A WINNER IS YOU!!  Having said that, I love shmups.  Arent those kinda Groundhogg-y?

Length: Quality vs. Quantity.  IMO the length of a game as determined by the difficulty depends on a couple things.  Is it dynamic?  Does the difficulty ramp up as the game progresses, constantly introducing new mechanics that are easy to learn but tough to master?  Or does the game have simply one or two cumbersome mechanics that never change or evolve, leaving you to trudge through a 60 hour game?  You see, making a good game is like a recipe for a stew.  It takes a lot to make a stew, a pinch of spice and laughter too.  But too many cooks can spoil the broth...

Achievements:  I tried being an achievement guy for a bit, but pretty quickly they turned into chores.  If I have no desire to continue a game achievements arent going to extend its lifespan for  me anymore.

Gamergate:  Gamergate seems so contrived to me.  Nepotism is not a new concept.  People/groups have been in bed with each other (both literally and figuratively) to get a leg up (no pun intended) on competition since the beginning of business.  Why are people so shocked about this "scandal"?  The only people who are really invested in this crap has to be younger gamers, right?

Super Meat Boy's difficulty is a perfect example of like if you screw up its your fault, not the games' fault.

Great 'sode guys.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:25:21 PM by RetroRage » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »

"If I were on a deserted island..." it would have to be 2d platforming/adventure games.  I couldnt live without Super Metroid or Zelda 2.

But you would have to live without one, because my question stated what system AND what genre. Take that Space Coyote!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »

But you would have to live without one, because my question stated what system AND what genre. Take that Space Coyote!

For me, it'd be my trusty Genesis and its large assortment of shoot em ups. Maybe I'd finally beat half of them.
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »

Ok then, I'll choose the Retron 5 :-)

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »

CHOOSE A PC. CHOOSE A PC.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »

Looks like the Youtube video is up.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »

Looks like the Youtube video is up.

YouTube is for our parents to send us funny videos of rapping parakeets. And be like, "Show this to the kids."

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 03:18:15 PM »

And to listen to the show while at work in incognito mode

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »

Ok then, I'll choose the Retron 5 :-)

I'd go with a Retron 5 too.

Listened to roughly half of the episode so far. Really enjoying it.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 08:30:27 PM »

"Groundhog Day games" I *dead* I hate *dead* I hate groundhog *dead* I hate groundhog day *dead* I hate groundhog day games *VICTORY!! A WINNER IS YOU!!  Having said that, I love shmups.  Arent those kinda Groundhogg-y?

I'd say bullet hell shooters are definitely this way, which is not my favorite type of shooters. Many others rely more on you knowing the mechanics well and being prepared. Those are my favorites.

Manually ramping up the difficulty makes a huge difference in the fun factor.  For example Gears of War....it was a decent game on Normal, but on Hard it was way better.  The AI was much smarter so beating it was that much more satisfying.

I agree. I really found that I didn't have to really utilize the battle mechanics in the Mass Effect games very much until Insanity. At that point you have to understand the systems well, and use them to their full advantage. It does slow things down a bit, so I can understand why others choose to play on lower difficulty.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Hopefully we'll Crabbo back soon.

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 01:00:04 AM »

Love the discussion.  I have found a few "punishingly" difficult games I really enjoy like Cloudberry Kingdom and 1001 Spikes.  One that's not really punishing but you must have perfect timing for is the Bit.Trip Runner games.  I loved those games and you could pick difficulty levels.  I played on Just Right and had a great time while my friend played on Rather Hard and still beat 90 out of 100 levels. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length