RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:49:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The Gaming Diary: Chapter 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 159 Print
Author Topic: The Gaming Diary: Chapter 3  (Read 849815 times)
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #1560 on: December 28, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »

Jackie Chan (Famicom) - A really well done game with big sprites and good animation.

Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu is one of my favorite NES platformers of all time.  It's well worth picking up the Famicom cart at $15-$20 rather than the NES cart at... $100?  Collecting be crazy these days...

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1561 on: December 29, 2017, 08:31:25 AM »

@Ikariniku: I'm really enjoying it. I might make it a blog entry next year.

Bubsy (PS4) - Finished. No thanks to this game. It's very short and frustrating. It's not bade enough to be be absolute sh*t but it's nowhere near good.

Gundam Versus (PS4) - Just picked up yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying this one out.

Nioh (PS4) - The more I play it the more I like it.

Metroid Samus Returns (2DS) - I need to get used to a 2DS first. I'm used to holding a DS.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1562 on: December 29, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »

Metroid Samus Returns (2DS) - I need to get used to a 2DS first. I'm used to holding a DS.

Original 2DS?  Yeah, they do take a bit, but are ultimately better for those of us with bear-sized paws.  I love my 2DS XL, but D-pad placement is a little painful for me without curling my hand into a claw.

Well, I just finished Psycho Fox, which was a lot of fun.  I was expecting a "fami-jank" style platformer (like it's cousin, Kid Kool) and instead found a platformer that caters to both the challenged and those that like challenge.  I'm actually a little bummed, as there aren't a lot of games like it out there.

Next up is Metroid Samus Returns.  I keep wanting to play this like Super Metroid, so I find myself forgetting about the melee attack far too much, which is generally fatal.  Actually, I've died more in MSR than in any other Nintendo game is a while, which is pretty awesome.

Stalled out on AvP 2000 on PC and Demon Stone on PS2.  The former because the game is reeeeally hard (even on easy) and the latter because I think my PS2 drive is finally dying, meaning no more PS2 until I get a Network Adapter to complete my PS2 mod (very soon).

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1563 on: December 30, 2017, 10:57:19 AM »

Finally finished GTA V. Great game, spent way more time than expected because at some point I decided to go for 100% completion (which I did). Some of that stuff is quite boring though (collectibles, knife flights, etc...)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1564 on: January 01, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »

Played through The Stanley Parable two days ago. Interesting and thought-provoking. I think I saw all endings.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1565 on: January 03, 2018, 09:18:48 PM »

Thought I would take a break and play some NES games, but the first one was a complete dud, that being Low G Man.  I swear I remember liking this game, but the more I think about it the more I think I am getting it mixed up with Dinowarz or maybe the first GI Joe game (which is what they tell you to look forward to in the closing credits of the game).  Ug.  I'm going to try Kung-Fu Heroes as a palette cleanser, but regardless I'm getting back to Metroid after.  Heroes is another one of those "man I really used to love this game" game, so maybe...

- Han Solo
ErbBetaPatched
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #1566 on: January 04, 2018, 03:53:54 AM »

Finally finished up Sniper Elite 4's DLC. Very good level design, and perhaps way too many ways to kill Hitler.
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1567 on: January 05, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »

Golf (NES) - Been playing multiplayer with the kids, I absolutely suck at this game...

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1568 on: January 06, 2018, 04:01:14 PM »

Just finished Kung Fu Heroes for NES.  Such a strange fun game. Hidden bonus stages, warp zones, reused sound effects from Kung Fu on NES, and what occasionally sounds like surfer music.  It gets crazy hard in the last two worlds (where some enemies appear to be invulnerable) but worth it in the end.  Well, not so much with the ending, but it is kind of cool that it starts you over again at the beginning, but continues adding up the stages.  I finally died at 14-3 before I called it quits.

- Han Solo
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1569 on: January 07, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »

Just finished Chubby Cherub.  Like Kung Fu Heroes that I finished yesterday, it has just the right amount of "Fami-Jank" that draws me into the end.  Chubby Cherub only has 12 levels before it starts looping (like Kung Fu Heroes), but the game continues getting harder with random enemy placement.  Since i looped it once (currently at level 16) I'm calling it a win.

- Han Solo
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1570 on: January 09, 2018, 10:45:46 AM »

Trails in the Sky SC - STILL going!  I have to be close to the end.

Undertale - Finished my pacifist run.  Overall, I'm really impressed with this game.

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - Finished this game.  I wish I played this game back when it first came out.  I still enjoyed it now, but I think I would have really gotten into it back when I was ~15 years old.  Overall, this game was a pleasant surprise!

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - I've put a few hours into this.  I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it.  I really like the gameplay, but I find the dialog to be really grating.

Call of Duty: WWII - People can say what they want about COD, but I always enjoy the campaigns.  This one is great so far.

Star Wars Battlefront II - This has been pretty good so far.  Not a huge fan of the space combat missions.

Mark of the Ninja - Played a few levels of this.  I can tell it's a good game, but I feel like it's not really holding my interest.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #1571 on: January 12, 2018, 02:38:51 AM »

Played some Final Fight (SNES) while testing a new PVM acquire.  Color on the PVM is super finicky (too much red), but manageable.  Final Fight is still a great game, even in this compromised version.

ErbBetaPatched
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #1572 on: January 12, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »

Replaying some Dark Souls.

Beat Rogue Legacy, very fun and challenging game.

Stopped playing The Surge, didn't like the camera and occlusion.

Refunded and got MvC Infinite and Nioh, which are downloading slowly.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1573 on: January 13, 2018, 07:54:59 PM »

Finished Commando.  Hopefully last of the "looping" NES games that I will play in the near future.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Tried Bad Dudes on NES and...  hehe.  I don't think I'll play this one all the way through.  Lately this has happened a lot to me, so much that I'm beginning to wonder if I should selectively play some of the older games I haven't beaten.  Oddly enough Ice Climber is as I remember; fun game, but not enough variety in the amount of stages to hold my attention.

I suppose I should get back to Metroid on my 2DS, but I keep finding excuses to stay away for some reason...

- Han Solo
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1574 on: January 16, 2018, 10:24:20 AM »

Trails in the Sky SC - Finally finished this game with a completion time of ~90 hours.  Excellent game.  I went ahead and started Trails in the Sky the 3rd the next day just to keep the series rolling.  I've only just finished the prologue so far.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - I've put several hours into this now and am really enjoying it.  The Bowser's Minions side story feels pretty throwaway though.

Star Wars Battlefront II - The single-player campaign started out good enough, but it just kept going from bad to worse.  Any missions where you play as somebody other than Iden feel half-assed.  The later missions in general were a chore.  I wouldn't recommend this game's campaign.

Call of Duty: WWII - Fortunately this game's single-player campaign was excellent.  I haven't played a ton of COD campaigns (I think Ghosts was the last one I played), but this one was probably the best I've played.  The shooting mechanics are so satisfying, and even the little things like sound effects of the weapons are great.  While I have very little interest in the multiplayer, I can see why so many people sink so much time into it.  I highly recommend this game's campaign if you're looking for a pretty straightforward shooter.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 159 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length