RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Mega Man 2 & 3 - Retro Playthrough - June 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Mega Man 2 & 3 - Retro Playthrough - June 2015  (Read 34666 times)
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« on: May 27, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »

We're playing Mega Man 2 & 3.  Step into the shoes of Mega Man and set out to defeat Dr. Wily and his hordes of Robot Masters in these two classic games for the NES!

Platforms
NES
PS2, GC, Xbox (via Mega Man Anniversary Collection)
Virtual Console

Participants
Disposed Hero
Duke.Togo
Ikariniku
JerryGreenwood
MetalFRO
Neo
RetroRage
shaggy
singlebanana

Checkpoints
No checkpoints for this playthrough.  Since we're all probably at different skill levels with these games and there's really nothing to spoil story-wise, just play at your own pace and feel free to discuss the games freely.

Achievements
1. Complete Mega Man 2 on 'Difficult' setting
2. Complete Mega Man 2 using only the Mega Buster
3. Complete Mega Man 3 using only the Mega Buster
4. Complete Mega Man 2 without using an E-tank
5. Complete Mega Man 3 without using an E-tank
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:54:38 AM by Disposed Hero » Logged

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:04:55 PM »

In it to win it.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »

Count me in on this one.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »

I totally borked the Beyond Oasis playthrough, but I'm confident I can bring it for Mega Man (Super Fighting Robot).

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:00:29 PM »

Hey I just bought a PS2 copy of the Megaman Anniversary Collection! But, I'll have to sit this out.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 09:03:34 PM »

Put the Naner down for these two.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:04:56 PM »

I totally borked the Beyond Oasis playthrough, but I'm confident I can bring it for Mega Man (Super Fighting Robot).

Uh yeah, we all pretty much borked that one.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 01:26:46 PM »

I borked the Shining Force playthrough. I almost got it a few times, but I bought other fun stuff instead.

Sign me up for this one though!
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »

Uh yeah, we all pretty much borked that one.

Except me, but I played a month before everybody else. Many had problems with the battle system, and I missed the messages before I could say "Mix jump attacks in with your combos". I was hardly ever touched that way.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 04:16:24 PM »

I thought it was June 1 today, so I logged some serious Mega Man 2 time today.  I hope no one minds if I talk about it.

I started the day playing Mega Man 2 on the PS2 Mega Man Anniversary Collection.  I didn't like the emulation very much.  The sound mix, especially, bothered me.  And I couldn't really get used to using the PS2 controller.

So, I took a picture of my password with my phone and played on my Retron 5 whose emulation I quite like.  No save states were used.  However, they were hardly necessary.  When I play Mega Man 2, I always hit a wall at Air Man, who I tackle third.

I beat my head against Air Man unsuccessfully for a while on the Retron, but then I wanted to watch something on my HDTV, so I switched to original hardware on a good ol' CRT.  Well, an AV Famicom with an adapter, but still.

Maybe the Retro Gaming Spirits looked favorably on my setup, because very soon after starting up, I was past Air Man and chewing up the robot masters.  WIth only Bubble Man and Heat Man between me and Wily, I realized my date confusion and decided to wait until tomorrow before plunging ahead any further.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 06:51:34 PM »

I will try to get in on this, I'm still trying to finish Shining Force.  I have to go find either my NES carts or the Gamecube anniversary collection.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 07:01:01 PM »

I started playing Mega Man 2 today and ran through all the bosses like a champ. For Air Man, I just Mega Man's normal shooter. When he throws out the tornadoes, if you can, run forward and jump over the first one and keep firing as you are pushed back. He goes down pretty quick.

I'd like to talk about level routes people use, but I may save that for next week.........unless you follow me on Twitter. Cheesy

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 07:11:19 PM »

ohhh yeah.  Let's do it

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 08:36:37 PM »

Cool, not that I'm surprised, but I'm glad to see a lot of people signing up for this one.  Also glad to see RetroRage returning to the community playthroughs!  Smiley

I just updated the OP with the 'checkpoint', but just feel free to play these games as you please.  I know some of you can probably blow through these games in one sitting, while others may struggle with some parts.  Feel free to discuss the games freely and share all of your tips and tricks!

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »

Add a spoiler on the first post with the preferred boss run through. Smiley

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length