RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:26:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Metal Gear Solid - Retro Playthrough - September 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid - Retro Playthrough - September 2015  (Read 13434 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« on: August 19, 2015, 08:22:18 AM »

By the time I was in high school my gaming experience was pretty robust, but because I was never into RPGs or adventure games, I was actually unaccustomed to playing games that you would save and come back to and complete over a long period of time. I played countless hours of Super Mario Kart, NBA Jam, and Star Fox for example, and I certainly completed my share of story-light platformers like Kirby's Dreamland and Super Mario World. Through the 8-bit and 16-bit generations, I rarely completed a game that had a cohesive narrative.

When I borrowed a copy of Metal Gear Solid from a friend of mine, that all changed for me. During those first cinematic cuts scenes I realized immediately that I was experiencing something unlike anything I had before. What I didn't realize at the time was that Metal Gear Solid in 1998 provided an experience unlike anything anyone had seen before.

It's ironic that I'm hosting Metal Gear Solid on a rare month of trading places with Singlebanana which puts me in the host chair of a retro game because I always considered Metal Gear Solid to be my personal introduction to video games' modern era. This was my "this isn't just kid's stuff anymore" moment, and I will never forget playing the game into the wee hours of the night on school nights, hoping not to wake up my parents.

Over the years and with its many sequels the Metal Gear Solid series has solidified itself as one of my all-time favorites, but the original game will always be the fondest in my heart. I have completed it about five or six times over the years and I can't wait to do it again with the community.

Participants:
grayghost81
fleach
schlibby
russlyman
metalfro
retrorage
unforgivingpain
bartman87
oatbob

Checkpoints:
Week One - Raven in a tank.
Week Two - Press the circle button repeatedly to regain your strength.
Week Three - Raven in an icebox.
Week Four - Complete your mission.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:16:19 PM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »

By complete coincidence I completed that game 2 days ago. It was the first ever metal gear game ive played and i thought it was fantastic.

Ill pretend im playing it again in September and add some more comments  Wink
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 12:26:14 PM »

sign me up. I watched my friend play though this when it came out and never got to play it. Its on the PSN for $9.99 with cross by for PSP so that helps. I can lay in bed and play.

Now your playing with power!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:38:57 AM »

I'm out.  Already beat it and no interest to play again.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 09:22:15 AM »

I'm in for this as well.  I bought MGS years and years ago, played it, enjoyed it, but never beat it.  I really need to rectify that.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »

Put me in.  I haven't played this game since it came out, I've forgotten almost everything about it.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:11:37 PM »

Might play my copy of Twin Snakes

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 09:02:36 PM »

I'm in!  This should be interesting, I just played through MGS:Ground Zeroes a few days ago.

Metal Gear Solid was one of the first games I completed as well. I mostly played games like Killer Instinct, Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Mario Kart, NBA Jam, and GoldenEye 007.

About the checkpoint... I remember "Fission Mailed" in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 09:07:20 PM »

Welcome to the playthrough!

The real first checkpoint will be up within the next few days. Just start the game for now. And yeah fission mailed is from the second game and in fact time paradox is from the third.

UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:55:26 PM »

Welcome to the playthrough!

The real first checkpoint will be up within the next few days. Just start the game for now. And yeah fission mailed is from the second game and in fact time paradox is from the third.
Thank you. I look forward to playing through it.
Thanks for explaining the checkpoints as well.
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 01:36:06 PM »

i'm tentatively in...still working on my WTB list which takes up most of my free time. less than 250 games to price out of 1400 total, so i should be done this week.
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 06:27:41 PM »

Alright friends the first checkpoint is up! Veterans will get to it pretty quickly but I want first-timers to go at their own pace and learn how to play the game.

If you're playing ahead the second checkpoint will probably be somewhere around
Spoiler (hover to show)

I put about four hours into the game this afternoon but don't judge anything by that because I'm being a Cheater McCheaterstein with some of the game's more famous bonus items. I could just stealth past everyone very easily, but I can't resist the urge to...

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□ *crunch*

Anyway, this game is so great. Every time I play it I remember all the little quirks and easter eggs and other fun stuff you can do.

If it's your first time playing the game, I really want to hear from you the most. How do you like the controls? Are you playing stealthy or running around like an idiot? What do you think of all the dialogue?

Also, just wanted to throw out there that I'm playing the game with the original discs on the PS3. The only glitch I've noticed so far was the falling snow appears purple, but otherwise it's been smooth sailing and looks great with the upscaling. If you've played the game before and you're wondering how you do that one thing where you have to do the things with the things (you know what I'm talking about), you can do it easily. PM me if you can't figure it out when you get there.

bartman87
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 03:08:18 PM »

Count me in!  Grin
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »

Welcome to the site and welcome to the playthrough! Enjoy the game!

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 07:51:03 PM »

I played a little bit today. I downloaded it on the PS3 and my PSP. I did not get very far though. I got up the elevator and through the vents than died. I still need to get a handle on the stealth and controls. Hoping I can get the hang of it and enjoy the game.

Now your playing with power!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length